Budget-minded

stevems2002

In anticipation of our trip to SBH in early December, I request any travel tips regarding reasonably-priced dinner options (breakfast is provided by our hotel, and we normally take a picnic lunch to the beach (with plans to frequent Saline, Colombier and Gouverneur)). We'll be staying in the vicinity of St. Jean Beach and we'll have a car. Thank you in advance for your responses!
Steve

I'm not sure the words "December" and "Reasonably Priced" collide in the same sentence much less the time of year

Pizza and salad at Les Bananiers, Creperie, Le Repaire, Pipiri Palace. We'll be there in early December too. Have a great trip.

Lots of choices for budget options and I know others will chime in with favorites. We love La Creperie in Gustavia and a benefit is that they serve food non-stop from breakfast to dinner, a relative scarcity on the island. On our last trip we tried the newish Carpe Diem for the first time. It retains the local vibe of the previous restaurant in that location and has nice salads and pasta dishes that come in different sized. Very reasonably priced.

Once thing we have learned over the years is a great appreciation for what is known here as the "long, boozy lunch." While picnics on the beach are also great, a respite from the sun to enjoy a great meal al fresco cannot be beat IMHO. Many of the great island restaurants serve a wonderful lunch and are somewhat better enjoyed with the views. Tamarin, La Gloriette, La Plage, and Grain de Sel (no view here) are a few of our favorites. Of course Santa Fe was one of the best options, especially give the views, but the ownership has changed. Good things are being said about it so far and we'll be trying it on our next trip.

We offset the cost (in euro and calories :D) by having a more low key dinner at the villa like bread/cheese/etc or getting take away from Le Bouchon, or a pizza from LaSantoise. Just a thought.....

Also, a link to many island restaurant websites and menus:
http://www.alacarte-stbarth.com/?lng=en

I'm not sure the words "December" and "Reasonably Priced" collide in the same sentence much less the time of year

The original poster mentioned "early December", when the island tends to be less busy than later on in the month around the holidays.

Lots of choices for budget options and I know others will chime in with favorites. We love La Creperie in Gustavia and a benefit is that they serve food non-stop from breakfast to dinner, a relative scarcity on the island. On our last trip we tried the newish Carpe Diem for the first time. It retains the local vibe of the previous restaurant in that location and has nice salads and pasta dishes that come in different sized. Very reasonably priced.

Once thing we have learned over the years is a great appreciation for what is known here as the "long, boozy lunch." While picnics on the beach are also great, a respite from the sun to enjoy a great meal al fresco cannot be beat IMHO. Many of the great island restaurants serve a wonderful lunch and are somewhat better enjoyed with the views. Tamarin, La Gloriette, La Plage, and Grain de Sel (no view here) are a few of our favorites. Of course Santa Fe was one of the best options, especially give the views, but the ownership has changed. Good things are being said about it so far and we'll be trying it on our next trip.

We offset the cost (in euro and calories :D) by having a more low key dinner at the villa like bread/cheese/etc or getting take away from Le Bouchon, or a pizza from LaSantoise. Just a thought.....

Also, a link to many island restaurant websites and menus:
http://www.alacarte-stbarth.com/?lng=en

Great suggestions that I agree with. Try this site too http://www.access-stbarth.com/en/restaurants-st-barts

Add La Gloriette to the list. They're located on the beach in Grand Cul de Sac, and have a menu of pizza/salad/burgers for dinner.

Under the radar for most people is Chez Yvon in Anse des Cayes, which has a more creole menu.

Also under the radar for most people is takeout from Island Flavors in Gustavia. (See Island Flavors by Jean Paul on Facebook), and this recent thread https://www.sbhonline.com/forums/showthread.php/88732

As noted above, you can find menus for many island restaurants online at http://www.alacarte-stbarth.com/ Looking there will give you an idea of the prices of some of the restaurants.

Cote Port and Eddys could be considered reasonable for the island. And of course the Villa option under the stars you mentioned is often one of the nicest venues.

Eating in the villa is awesome and romantic. Gloriette for dinner is very affordable as is Les Bananiers. Grain de Sel is excellent, as well. Hope autocorrect didn't ruin that! Take out from Marche U by the airport has nice selections. It can be done! You have excellent suggestions from others. If you want a splurge.... Orega or L' Isola. Yum!

Several people have mentioned dining in. A roasted chicken (the BBQ place in St Jean or Marché U), a few sides (Marché U, Mayas To Go, or La Petite Colombe), a bottle of wine (Marché U or one of the wine shops), and a dessert (Petite Colombe, Maya's To Go, Boulangerie Choisy) can make a very nice dinner if your hotel setup is suitable.

Have to add The Hideaway! Carpe Diem is definitely in the budget category and excellent. Interesting that some restaurants mentioned here do not necessarily qualify as Budget -- in my mind. You can also save a few Euros by sharing
an entree and a main course. Won't always make the restaurant happy, but in early December they will be glad to have you! It seems that portions in SBH in some restaurants have increased in size.

The idea of checking out alacarte-stbarth.com for menus is a good one. Also, most restaurants have their menus posted outside so you can stop by and check it out before you make a reservation. If it's not posted - just go inside and ask to see a menu. Even in the morning there is usually someone there.

enjoy!

Island Flavors is a phenomenal bargain. The food quality to price ratio is as good as you can find.

One other totally off the radar place is Cre'age in Lorient. Its a take away place but the food is wonderful change of pace creole option and cheap.

Island Flavors is a phenomenal bargain. The food quality to price ratio is as good as you can find.

One other totally off the radar place is Cre'age in Lorient. Its a take away place but the food is wonderful change of pace creole option and cheap.

The soup from Cre'age is Rosemond's favorite.. and did anyone mention Au Regal here for budget minded restaurants?

Chez Rolande in Flamands is budget friendly and very good creole food. Also the pizza at La Saintoise was reasonably priced and very good. We've also done JoJo Burger in the past for a post beach lunch that is light on the wallet.

Is Chez Rolande still open?
It was in June.... (perhaps the name has changed) now I will say, it was hit and miss as to when it was open, but I did eat there one day for lunch and drove by at least a few other times when it was open in the afternoon. I never saw it open in the evening hours.