Our trip of new experiences

bkeats

Senior Insider
Got back a few weeks ago from our trip and haven’t had a chance to write much about it since I got home as we’ve been crazy busy. Working for a UK firm, you would have thought that I would have kept track on when the Brexit vote was scheduled for and been in the office for it. But maybe it was good to be out at the time since all I’ve been dealing with since getting back is Brexit consequences.

Back to our trip, as I posted before this was the first time where it was just the wife and me since our honeymoon. We said we were going to do all sorts of things we hadn’t done before. Try and discover new things and get out of our habit of doing the same old same old.

The flight down was great. Wife and I got upgraded to the front of the plane and so I settled in for a snooze to catch those remaining 39 winks I lost to get up for the flight. The St Barth Commuter flight was full. I was hoping to snag the co-pilot seat which I’ve never been in but it went to a young lady whose family was making their first trip. Lucky girl. I’ve never caught a fly ball at Citi field either. Oh well.

So what do we do the first night we are on the island? We go have dinner at La Gloriette. Way to break old habits. Like when I tried to quit smoking. All 27 times. 28 was the charm. But La Gloriette habit isn’t something I’m looking to break.

So what new things did we do?

To say that my lovely wife isn’t much of an outdoor activity person would be an overstatement. But since this was to be a trip of new experiences, she agreed to finally make the hike from Grand Fond to the tidal pools. Wouldn’t you know we picked the hottest day of the week and went at mid-day? Hike was a bit tricky figuring out which way to go in spots but the vistas were gorgeous. I guess it was low tide when we got to the pools as the water didn’t have the coverage I’ve seen in oh so many pictures of those slender models floating in the placid waters but it was still nice even though we didn't get that shot of me floating alluringly in the water. Notch 1 in the belt.

We’re at the point in life where night life often doesn’t get past 11 on a weekend and because of that I made Friday night reservations for Le Ti. We walk in and the wife is giving a very suspicious eye to the place. The crowd was dressed to kill or go to a wedding. We get a table pretty close to the stage. We order cocktails and since we’re going to go all out tonight, I tell my lovely wife I'm going to order the caviar. If you’re going to go out in style, might as well be bankrupt when they cart you away. Food was surprisingly good. Carol comes by our table and says hello. Interesting person. Then the fashion/floor show starts. Its pretty lame. But at some point the magic of Le Ti takes hold. Either that or the alcohol just kicks in. But we’re up dancing and singing. Just a rousing fun evening. Can I say the music is just awful though? The French do many things well but music isn’t one of them. Other issue was there was a young gentleman who clearly could not hold his liquor who was pinballing off of other people. I had to give him a polite hip check into a table after he crashed into me one too many times. If you haven’t been. Go. It’s an experience. We will be back. Second notch.

Finally on our last full day we went to the Sunday party at Nikki Beach. Something we have avoided for no particular reason. But again, the food and alcohol and add in some rocking good music this time and we are having a blast. The crowd had a certain Jersey shore feel to it but what the heck its summer on Saint Barts! We had fun. So there is number three.

Also got a new toy. A sleeve that you can put your iphone in and then take into the water. I took this video. In January when its that kind of cold where when you breathe deeply through your nose you can feel your noise hairs freeze, I’m going to watch this and feel all warm.

Last edited by a moderator:
Nice trip report and love the video. It's like a personally floating on the waves of wonderful Saline! I agree with Amy; I could watch that over and over again. Thanks for sharing!

Can I say the music is just awful though? The French do many things well but music isn’t one of them.

The crowd had a certain Jersey shore feel to it but what the heck its summer on Saint Barts!

Very entertaining report.

Super report! Love the video and reporting style. We need to try Le Ti. Each year we vow to do something different. :up:

I would've posted sooner, but I've been busy watching your video on repeat!

Great report! Glad you ventured out and glad it was successful.

Great report and like others said, the video is tremendous! Felt like I was right there and almost ducked once!
Thanks for sharing.