Salt Pond next to villa

KPJ72

SBH Member
Hello! We are planning our third trip t SB in Nov/Dec. I am considering Villa AMT from Wimco (Amethyst) but its close proximity to a salt pond gives me pause. My husband is extremely sensitive to smell and the villa is high on a hill but almost right on top of the pond. I also don't want to be carried away by mosquitos.
Any feedback on this would be greatly appreciated! I am counting the days until we are back in paradise.

If you look at the locations tab on the google map, there's a red circle. the property is just south of 9 O'CLOCK on the red circle. it's under construction in the map.

We've stayed around PCdS many times and never had a problem with the smell. It can vary with the amount of rain -- low water sometimes makes for a low tide smell. You'll probably have more mosquitoes from the plant saucers in the garden than the étang. If you are worried about it there are many other options to stay that can take the possibility off the table.

No matter where you stay make sure to take all precautions to avoid any bites.

I saw the reply, but it's been years since I've spent time in that area. Therefore I didn't feel that I could add anything that would be helpful. I hope someone with recent knowledge will respond to you.

Hello! We are planning our third trip t SB in Nov/Dec. I am considering Villa AMT from Wimco (Amethyst) but its close proximity to a salt pond gives me pause. My husband is extremely sensitive to smell and the villa is high on a hill but almost right on top of the pond. I also don't want to be carried away by mosquitos.
Any feedback on this would be greatly appreciated! I am counting the days until we are back in paradise.

We have stayed in PCdS across from the etang several times. The villa where we stayed, La Recompense is also high up the hillside (100-150? meters up or so.) We could not smell the etang unless we were driving right alongside (the low tide smell.) It was never a problem up at the villa. As far as mosquitos go, I have read that mosquitos breed, live and die locally. Unless this villa is pond-side the mosquitos you encounter are likely not from the etang, but from property/conditions right around your, and neighboring villas.

We found PCdS to be one of the most beautiful spots on the whole island! The natural beauty, terrain and the variety of birds is just stunning! If you do like to watch or photograph birds you can't lose in PCdS. Ease walk down to the beach, for a bit more effort to GCdS, or even up around to the Toiny point. (Location!) The etang birds prefer brackish water, and just a short distance away the sea birds hang out over the beach and ocean. If you like the island's natural beauty, I would recommend giving PCdS a try.

IMG_0229.JPG

(Photo from 2010, patio at La Recompense, etang on left, ocean on right)