20TH ANNIVERSARY TRIP

UDYAL

SBH Member
Just got back from our 20th anniversary trip from paradise; after being there once before for our 10th. I daresay this time was even better than the first; although I've dreamed about going back for 10 years, never thinking it could be better than the first time. We considered going somewhere new; but I am so glad we didn't. Stayed at LeVillage St Bart again, and it felt like returning home; appreciated the updates like the new infinity pool, but loved that some things haven't changed; like the flowers, and the honor system of taking drinks from the frig and just leaving an IOU note. We stayed in a terrace cottage, overlooking St Jean which was a nice upgrade from the hotel room we could afford on our last visit; which was just ideal too. After a seamless flight on Jetblue and St Barts Commuter, quick Jimmy pickup and stop at MarcheU (Match last time) for Rose and essentials, we were finally there! Too late for lunch and too early for dinner, we picked up a perfect afternoon takeout sandwich at Le Piment right down the hill. This gave us enough time to settle in, and enjoy our breathtaking terrace view. Our first dinner was Ortega which was just perfect. Greg welcomed us with such warmth as though we were old friends. I was so looking forward to trying the sea bass, and was a bit disappointed when I didn't see it on the menu; only to have him stop by and say I saved you the sea bass, just in case you wanted to try it. He had me at hello. The sushi and rose was also excellent. Service was top-notched, as was the corner window table reserved for us. After a divine dinner; two of the waitresses came to the window from the outside with two sparklers and two glasses of champagne sang us "happy anniversary"..We couldn't have asked for a better start to our trip. I daresay Greg is the next Eddy (although I know Eddy is a legend, and loved our dinner there last time). Day two we had a lazy start which was perfect especially since breakfast is included and could be delivered to the cottage which was ideal. Lovely lunch at LaPlage and we started falling into island mode. Off to Saline, which remains my favorite SBH beach. We made a quick stop at St Jean beach on the way back, and while it's lovely, with nice calm beautiful water, not the same to me as the other remote beaches. That evening we had a wonderful leisurely dinner at Tamarin facing the pond, followed by dessert and coffee in the garden. Heaven on earth kinda feeling. The next day being our actual anniversary, we started the day on our terrace with Moet rose. We then headed to Christopher Hotel Spa, for our day pass package. An amazing couples massage to the sound of the ocean, followed by great welcome cocktails, feet in the sand lunch at Mangos and loungers by the pool. Life is good. No great. After a few hours of laying by the pool, we went into beach-withdrawal, and headed to Flamands, which I don't remember very much from our first visit, but was pleasantly surprised by how much we enjoyed the water, and lovely vistas. That evening we started early with a sunset cocktail at Eden Rock, followed by dinner on the sand at SandBar; couldn't have desired a better ambience. Ok food and ok service, but breathtaking view. After dinner, we decided to stop at LeTi. It was a quiet night, as we expected, but still enjoyed a drink, and got a feel for what it must be like on a happening night; hopefully next time. Always need reasons to come back (although the list is already endless). On our last day which came way too soon, we headed to Gouverneur Beach; the drive there was very picturesque and the beach itself just lovely; however after a short time we decided we wanted to spend most of the beach time we had left at Saline. So glad we did. The water that day was so calm and just delicious with not many people, we just didn't want to leave. Our final lunch was at Gloriette, which was actually our favorite of our lunches. Loved the feet in sand atmosphere there as well. After lunch we chose to head back to Flamands for a final dip, then back to the pool at the hotel. Our last dinner was at Black Ginger, which we enjoyed immensely, being Thai food lovers. It was also a nice change of flavors from the other also fabulous dinners. Great atmosphere and very friendly service; we didn't want to leave, and never felt pressured to do so. Perfect ending. The next morning it was just breakfast at the cottage and a quick shopping trip in St. Jean. We headed to the airport feeling as though we had just arrived and wondering where the time had went. The original plan was to visit every 10 years for our anniversary, since we do love to visit new places; however we have now decided that's way too long and hoping to visit again in 5 years for our 25th anniversary. I am thinking that is even way too long and may need to find an excuse to make it sooner. I can't imagine a more romantic place on earth. Feels like being in the South of France with a Caribbean flair; best of both worlds. I want to sincerely thank everyone on this forum for all of your contagious passion and help in answering my questions, and providing advice and recommendations. You were all essential in helping to make this trip as perfect as can be; and we are so very grateful.

What a lovely thank you note, uh, I mean trip report. You get it! Happy anniversary and I hope you are able to get back sooner than 10 years from now. Cheers!! (Oh, and two thumbs up for your dinner at Black Ginger...I, too, am a fan!)

Great report and congrats on your 20th anniversary. You did an awful lot in a week and really GOT IT!

So happy that you had a great trip and anniversary! Great report!! We will be there in less than a week and will go to some of the restos that you visited. We went to Gloriette 3 times on our last visit. Thanks for posting!!!

Excellent trip report and happy 20th!! You really had a wonderful trip and hope you make it back sooner than later!

Wonderful report! And no "excuse" needed to return to SBH . . . it's simply therapeutic care!