Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Boston Recommendations

SBH Insider Joined: May 2004 Pittsburgh, PA Posts: 3,549

Boston Recommendations

I know there are many forum friends from the Boston area so I'm hoping for a lot of great recommendations. I'll be in Cambridge for a week in July. I'm looking for lunch recs near Harvard and dinner recs for Cambridge or Boston. Since I'll be solo (unless I make new friends or anyone wants to meet up) places where you can dine at the bar would be great.

Randy is joining me on Thursday, and then Saturday we're moving to Boston for 2 nights. We have tix to Dead & Co at Fenway and are looking for other ways to spend our short time.

SBH Insider Joined: Oct 2002 Philadelphia Posts: 45,175

Re: Boston Recommendations

As a visitor many times I suggest you have to go to the North end for Italian food- Mamma Maria's is the best- don't let the name throw you. Make reservations. If the Duck Boats are running take one in front of the Prudential Center for a nice water view of Boston. Legal Seafood on the Wharf for sure. Oyster Houses abound. Kara and Kevin will clue you on the rest of your stay. Have a good time.

Andy

SBH Insider Joined: May 2003 Stinson Lake - New Hampshire & Provincetown - Cape Cod Posts: 51,935

It's Mamma Maria's not Mama Mia and we will actually be there tonight with Amy and Phil, Kara and Bob, Kevin and Kate, and Rosemary .....Artu s is also very good as is Giacomo s ....Cafe Vittoria for pastry and espresso.....Neptune Oyster for anything on their menu......Union House for Oysters is fun simply because it's the oldest raw bar in America ...Select is also good for Oysters ......Row 34 was very good for lunch and I really liked the vibe there......Kevin likes Jaspers Summer Shack for seafood which I do as well ...

And of course you can never ever go wrong at Legals Seafoood

Pizza I love Regina, Picco, and Umberto Galleria ....Kara loves Picco as well ...

and I LOVE Mr Bartleys Gourmet Burgers in Cambridge
    "When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace" Jimi Hendrix

"It's Mamma Maria's not Mama Mia"

That's what I meant- fixed.

Andy

SBH Insider Joined: May 2003 Stinson Lake - New Hampshire & Provincetown - Cape Cod Posts: 51,935

I figured
    "When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace" Jimi Hendrix

Senior Insider Joined: Apr 2004 Austin, TX Posts: 9,957

Second Neptune.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike R View Post
    I figured
    I had Abba on my mind- not.

Andy

LOL

SBH Insider Joined: Nov 2009 Alexandria, VA Posts: 5,427

Quote Originally Posted by andynap View Post
    As a visitor many times I suggest you have to go to the North end for Italian food- Mama Maria's is the best- don't let the name throw you.
    My wife and some coworkers are in Boston now for some training class and on Kevin's recommendation, they went there on Tuesday night and were blown away. They were all raving!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Bart -my real name- View Post
    My wife and some coworkers are in Boston now for some training class and on Kevin's recommendation, they went there on Tuesday night and were blown away. They were all raving!!!
    My wife and I stumbled upon it one night after looking at some very crowded restaurants and then walking down an alley and there it was. A total surprise inside- white table cloths and formal settings and great food.

Andy

Been my number one option for many years.......

SBH Insider Joined: Apr 2008 Glen Cove,L. I., NY Posts: 28,488

Dinner on the South Side last night with my brother at a French Bistro. Charming and excellent bistro fare..the Metropolis Cafe on Tremont St
    Remember Yesterday, Dream About Tomorrow, But Live Today.

Thanks all and keep 'em coming! Suggestions of where to eat (casual w/good beer) before the show at Fenway especially appreciated.

Island Creek Oyster Bsr is by Fenway.....that's the ticket

Senior Insider Joined: Jul 2003 Posts: 21,598

The two traditional spots next to Fenway are Boston Beer Works, on Brookline Ave, right across from the end of Yawkey Way, and the Cask 'n Flagon, one block up Brookline Ave, on the corner of Lansdowne St. Yawkey Way is usually a street mall, with a ticket gate at the entrance, and typical ballpark food.

https://www.beerworks.net/
    http://www.casknflagon.com/

Quote Originally Posted by KevinS View Post
    The two traditional spots next to Fenway are Boston Beer Works, on Brookline Ave, right across from the end of Yawkey Way, and the Cask 'n Flagon, one block up Brookline Ave, on the corner of Lansdowne St. Yawkey Way is usually a street mall, with a ticket gate at the entrance, and typical ballpark food.

https://www.beerworks.net/
    http://www.casknflagon.com/
    they re good...Bleacher Bar is good too

MB -
    This may be way more than you're interested in, but here's a link to the Boston discussion in a DC food forum. It starts way back in 2005, but goes up to October 2015 with nearly 200 posts. I looked at some of the recent posts and there was some info about the Fenway area.

Enjoy!

http://www.donrockwell.com/index.php...dge-ma/&page=1

Island Creek Oyster Bsr is by Fenway.....that's the ticket
    Right around the corner, in Kenmore Square. Maybe a 10-minute walk to Fenway.

Right around the corner, in Kenmore Square. Maybe a 10-minute walk to Fenway.
    yep and they have a tremendous beer list .....last time I was there I didn't know where to begin

yep and they have a tremendous beer list .....
    Sounds right up our alley and perfect before a Dead show. Probably better its a short walk to Fenway...otherwise it would be mobbed with Deadheads.

Thanks Andy for the Legal Seafood recommendation, that one is pretty close to our hotel. I've eaten at the one at KoP years ago and wouldn't have picked it because I thought it was a chain.

Also do we need reservations at Legal or Mama Maria?

Quote Originally Posted by marybeth View Post
    Sounds right up our alley and perfect before a Dead show. Probably better its a short walk to Fenway...otherwise it would be mobbed with Deadheads.

Thanks Andy for the Legal Seafood recommendation, that one is pretty close to our hotel. I've eaten at the one at KoP years ago and wouldn't have picked it because I thought it was a chain.

Also do we need reservations at Legal or Mama Maria?
    Yes- reservations at Mamma Maria are necessary.

Andy

Quote Originally Posted by andynap View Post
    Yes- reservations at Mamma Maria are necessary.
    DONE!! Sunday night at 8:30 PM gotta love Open Table.

Quote Originally Posted by marybeth View Post

?
    Is it a chain? Is that one different from the rest?

I've seen Kevin and Mike mention that place for years and I trust them completely, but the one or two we have in the DC are thought of as a place akin to Outback Steakhouse. Maybe a little more upscale than Outback, but certainly not a place you'd recommend to an out of towner. I wonder if it's the proximity to the ocean and bay that sets that one apart?

Yes, I wondered the same thing. When I looked at the website there certainly are a lot of them.

Also any place near the wharf area for breakfast? Staying at the Intercontinental. We leave later Monday morning and would love to have something hearty. I have to hit the ground running when I get home...board meeting that evening.

Legal Seafoods is a family-owned chain of restaurants, although they don't like the word chain. They're mostly in the Boston area. I just looked at their location list, and was surprised to find that they're up to 35 restaurants (counting airport locations), including 10 outside of New England, and one as far away as DC. Legal Seafoods around here is known as a quality group which is very picky about the quality of their seafood. They're serious about their "If it isn't fresh, it isn't Legal" ad tagline. I can't speak for their airport locations, but I wouldn't hesitate to eat at any of their other restaurants. I've eaten at at least 6 of them, and have never been disappointed.

...and one as far away as DC.
    Actually it looks like there's one in Atlanta.

Regardless, enough recs from people I trust...we have a rezzie for lunch on Thursday.

Senior Insider Joined: Jan 2004 In the ether . . . Posts: 55,311

The DC one is quite good for a mall restaurant. I worked in Boston in the late 80s and at one point the best and worst seafood resto were both a Legal Seafood.
    The Marius 100th Birthday Party Memorial -- June 5, 2023

Legals is awesome...a fussier fish buyer you will never meet....we are about fifteen minutes from being at the one on Long Wharf, slurping oysters and drinking beer as a little Pre dinner appetizer

My wife and I eat at the Legal Wharf restaurant and I recommend it to anyone. I think the Boston ones are closer to the owner and more oversight. There is one MB mentioned in King of Prussia around here that my son says isn't that good. I trust his taste.

Andy

Senior Insider Joined: Jan 2004 In the ether . . . Posts: 55,311

No doubt Boston is better than Tysons Corner, but they do feature farmed salmon and shrimp. I mean, come on
    The Marius 100th Birthday Party Memorial -- June 5, 2023