AA hiring its own security

andynap

Senior Insider
American, frustrated by lines, says private contractors will help ease TSA load.

By Linda Loyd STAFF WRITER
American Airlines said Thursday that it would spend $4 million to hire private contractors to help manage security lines at its nine hub airports, including Philadelphia International Airport, during the peak summer travel months.
The airline’s chief operating officer, Robert Isom, said in a letter to employees that “tens of thousands” of American’s customers have missed flights and “tens of thousands of checked bags have been delayed” in Transportation Security Administration bag-check rooms because of low staffing.
“This is unacceptable to all of us, and the federal government can, and should, do better,” he said.
American operates 70 percent of the flights at Philadelphia International.
Last week, Congress agreed to shift $34 million to the TSA to hire 768 more screeners, giving the agency 42,525 total, and to pay overtime to existing employees.
“It’s a decent start, but it isn’t enough,” Isom said. “The only viable way to fix these long lines is for TSA to increase their staffing at checkpoints.”
In Philadelphia, employees of two airline subcontractors, McGinn Security and PrimeFlight Aviation, have been trained by the TSA and will be working under TSA guidance to assist with “nonessential security functions” such as distributing and retrieving bins and keeping passengers moving through screening lines, said American spokeswoman Victoria Lupica.
McGinn has hired 15 to 20 new employees. PrimeFlight will use existing employees and allocate them as needed to help in TSA screening areas. Prime-Flight may add employees, if needed, as the summer progresses. The increased staffing begins Memorial Day weekend, Lupica said.
About 231 million passengers will fly on U.S. airlines this summer, up 4percent from last summer, the industry trade group Airlines for America said Wednesday.
"The only viable way to fix these long lines is for TSA to increase their staffing at checkpoints.
Robert Isom, American Airlines chief operating officer

More than 2.5 million people will travel each day from June 1 through Aug. 31.
That means 95,000 more travelers each day on average, the group said.
Security wait times have stretched to 60 to 90 minutes or worse at some airports this spring, including Chicago O’Hare and Newark Liberty, because of the increase in travelers, fewer screening officers, and tighter security measures after terror attacks in Paris, Brussels, and the downing of a chartered airliner over Egypt’s Sinai Peninsula in October.
Airlines for America has created a website, ihatethewait.com, and is encouraging fliers to use the hashtag #ihatethewait to post photos of long lines, in the hope of pushing officials to solve the problem.
U.S. airlines also are encouraging vetted customers to enroll, for an $85 fee, in aprescreening program called TSA Pre-Check. Passengers in the program can usually get through security screening more quickly because they do not have to take off their shoes or remove laptops and liquids from carry-on bags. lloyd@phillynews.com

215-854-2831 @LoydLind

Apparently Pre-Check isn't immune either.

Screen Shot 2016-05-20 at 10.24.40 AM.jpg

If they're loading up the Pre-Check line then the only remaining fast track will be the 1st/Business Class line. Clear is still an option in some airports, but not enough.

I can't figure out how Clear is a business model with Pre-Check as an alternative.

If they're loading up the Pre-Check line then the only remaining fast track will be the 1st/Business Class line. Clear is still an option in some airports, but not enough.

I am at the Denver Airport this morning. the lines were terrible, pre-check and regular. there was no 1st class line unfortunately. Then you have to take at tram, I can imagine a lot of people running to their gates...

I see stampedes and needs for crowd control. Travel is not the luxury it used to be. I even remember when getting there was half the fun.

And Kansas City was talking about building a new airport with a new single security line airport (currently, there are security lines for 4-5 gates in one place). Thank goodness, the idea was finally shelved. And the airport in Kansas City doesn't even have TSA for it's main security.

I am at the Denver Airport this morning. the lines were terrible, pre-check and regular. there was no 1st class line unfortunately. Then you have to take at tram, I can imagine a lot of people running to their gates...
One of the few airports where the CLEAR line is better than PRE. Did you ride the new train to town. That's the best improvement to the airport besides the new hotel

One of the few airports where the CLEAR line is better than PRE. Did you ride the new train to town. That's the best improvement to the airport besides the new hotel

Yea, at Christmas time, it was a zoo....Denver is always busy. You are right about Clear, Bob; never see much of a line there.
My daughter said the light rail goes from the airport to Union Station now; a great alternative to costly cabs.
We stayed at the Westin the night before we left after Christmas; another nice addition, and convenience .

I'm hopeful that something better will be in place by mid June (but I'm not holding my breath). We are flying AA ORD-PHL-SXM with an overnight layover in PHL. Originally I was thinking of getting a hotel room, but now with all these TSA issues, I don't think we'll be leaving the airport once we are through security. I'm sure we can find something to do for 6 hours......

I'm hopeful that something better will be in place by mid June (but I'm not holding my breath). We are flying AA ORD-PHL-SXM with an overnight layover in PHL. Originally I was thinking of getting a hotel room, but now with all these TSA issues, I don't think we'll be leaving the airport once we are through security. I'm sure we can find something to do for 6 hours......

There is a Marriott attached to Terminal B at the Philly airport.

Marriot at PHL airport is great. We have ovenighted there many times when we have had early morning flights. They have a comfortable bar and restaurant where you can get a great burger...and it is literally connected to Termimal B which is easy access to any gate your flight might be leaving from...

No, I was on my way to meetings in Boulder so there were 4 of us and we rented an SUV. stayed at the historic Boulderado Hotel, very nice with an Otis elevator from 1909...