Skate ray cheeks

LindaP

Senior Insider
Anyone ever had these? Got them yesterday at our local co-op, not too many recipes available online. I have had Halibut cheeks, but not these.....most things I've read suggest sautéing them in butter......wonder if you could grill them also......

I used to catch, filet, and eat skate wings and never heard of or saw cheeks. Using my wing recipe just dredge in flour and sauté in butter until done but not too much. They will overcook easily. No grill.

Yea, that's mostly what I read to do Andy.....all reading material says not to overlook . Should be interesting!

As I understand it, skate ray cheeks are the only edible portion of the skate. Restaurants label it as skate in fear that patrons may not order it if it is called by its actual body part.
Another example is the Patagonian Toothfish. If you knew what it looked like and how it is caught (very inhumanely), you may not order it. A marketer changed the name to Chilean Sea Bass and voila, it appeared on lots of menus overnight.

Linda - I buy these all the time (although I've never seen them called "skate ray" cheeks just "skate cheeks") and they are delicious. Known as poor man's scallops but they are meatier than scallops (more like monkfish). I recommend a little salt and pepper, dreading in Wondra (great flour to use with fish) and sautéing in a little oil and finishing with a nob of butter and lemon juice. You'll love them!

Hopper - skate wings are also readily available and quite delicious as well (unless the "skate ray" is something different that the skate i see?)

Linda - I buy these all the time (although I've never seen them called "skate ray" cheeks just "skate cheeks") and they are delicious. Known as poor man's scallops but they are meatier than scallops (more like monkfish). I recommend a little salt and pepper, dreading in Wondra (great flour to use with fish) and sautéing in a little oil and finishing with a nob of butter and lemon juice. You'll love them!
Kara- I use rice flour for all my dredging- it finishes crispier than regular flour I found.

I ll take any leftovers for my traps thank you....LOL..terrific bait because it holds up much longer than most other baits

and I second Rice Flour for extra crispiness..Chestnut Flour too gives it a nice texture

I picked up the Wondra tip from Eric Ripert years ago. I figure if it is good enough for Le Bernardin . . . I like rice flour as well. Never tried chestnut flour for pan searing.

Come on Mike - Bait fish is the new black :) Seriously, though, it really has become an interesting culinary trend. Ate at a sushi place recently and had the likes of slender sprat and firefly squid and red rockfish sashimi. Heavenly!

I picked up the Wondra tip from Eric Ripert years ago. I figure if it is good enough for Le Bernardin . . . I like rice flour as well. Never tried chestnut flour for pan searing.

Come on Mike - Bait fish is the new black :) Serious, though, it really has become an interesting culinary trend. Ate at a sushi place recently and had the likes of slender sprat and firefly squid and red rockfish sashimi. Heavenly!

we used to have a huge fundraiser for the Center for Coastal Studies called the Trash Fish Banquet...I ate it there..it was ok....my favorite trash fish was Wolf fish..that was some good eats....

I've always wanted to have a combo bait shop/sushi store..so my t shirts could say "todays plate...tomrorrows bait"

!

Too funny! As I was reading a couple of posts above, I was going to reply that "Eric Ripert uses wondra and if it's good enough for him, it's good enough for me" Great minds........