First time Villa Rental February 2017

hvancleef

A group of us are renting a villa in lat february. We currently have a few 5-6 bedroom options within our price range. We are not sure whether being in the hills near Petit Cul de Sac is good or if we need to be near Gustavia. Personally I am gravitating to PCS area. Can anyone help shed some light on these villas or areas for me? Here are our choices:
https://www.vrbo.com/786016
https://www.vrbo.com/6625742ha
https://www.vrbo.com/4172308ha

The newly built Villa seems fantastic and I have communicated with the owner. The question I have is why this particular house seems to have much dry brown foliage around it. Is there a dry season in the area that would be the cause or is this particular home located in an area that just isn't very green.

Any help would be amazing!

Harris

Welcome to the Forum Harris! Weather is what ever passes by -- currently very wet. Don't be alarmed about photos. Personally I like to be a bit closer to "town" than PCdS. Say Lorient, St. Jean or Lurin.

Those photos may have been taken during the recent seven month dry spell. Island is much greener as of late.

All of the villas look terrific. I would tend to agree with JEK about location. Gustavia, Lorient, St. Jean would put you closer to restaurants, beaches, etc. you will have some beautiful views in Petit CDS but unless you plan to dine at the villa often, you will be doing a fair amount of driving. There is no area on the island that doesn't have its appeal. However, since it is your first trip to the island, you should consider how you will spend your days and choose accordingly.

Have you checked with Wimco, St. Barts Properties or Ici e LA. For your first villa experience it might be nice to have the services of an agency in choosing your villa especially if traveling with a group. Payment can be more straight forward and you have the option to be moved to another villa if you have any problems. For example we have been moved to another spot proactively by Wimco when there has been construction next door or near by.

As for Location. Nothing is truly far away but Petite CDS can feel a bit remote. The roads at night can be pretty dark and confusing especially for a newbie. Choosing something closer to St. Jean or Lorient will be much easier.

Until you get used to the lay of the land and driving there, I would stay closer to town, but not necessarily in Gustavia. Lurin, Flamands, St Jean, Lorient, and even Columbier and Gouveneur. Even though the island is only 8 miles wide, PCDS can feel pretty remote at night.

I'll be the dissenting voice.

The island is tiny. There are only about a dozen roads and a handful of major intersections. If I you take a wrong turn, you'll know it very quickly and be back on course in under a minute. Half the fun of being a first time visitor is getting from point A to point B even if it takes a full ten minutes to do it!

Pick the villa based on the villa......the views, the amenities, the price, and the views. Don't worry about the location (unless it's related to the view!)

Sorry Bart but for a first timer driving at night after dinner and drinks up and down those hills and narrow roads and to the far end of the island is not my idea of fun. Better off close to the center of things for the first time.

Our first stays were in GCdS, Toiny and PCdS and the drive is not bad once a day, but on those days when you forget something from Gustavia the third roundtrip is tiresome.

Sorry Bart but for a first timer driving at night after dinner and drinks up and down those hills and narrow roads and to the far end of the island is not my idea of fun. Better off close to the center of things for the first time.

I don't know that those roads are any more narrow, twisty or steep than any others on the island.

Lurin to Gustavia is a "bad" as any.
Same for the road going down to Flamands.
If you eat at any of the Saline restaurants, chances are you're going to have to go up and over ridge.

Some of the worst or most challenging driving is around St. Jean with all the people and parked cars.......the road can go from narrow to VERY narrow quickly. If anything, it's easier to drive on the GCdS side because the traffic is lighter.

All of this information is very helpful thank you! So 2 of us on this trip do not drink at all so the great news is there is always a designated driver. In an effort the be thorough I have looked through most everything available within our price range and I did find 1 more. This is a bit further west so not quite so isolated. I have an email in the the owner to confirm availability. Is this a bit better from a location standpoint? One of the reviews said this was a windy side of the island - not sure if that really makes a difference. https://www.airbnb.com/rooms/3553562 Thanks in advance for your thoughts.

I don't know that those roads are any more narrow, twisty or steep than any others on the island.

Lurin to Gustavia is a "bad" as any.
Same for the road going down to Flamands.
If you eat at any of the Saline restaurants, chances are you're going to have to go up and over ridge.

Some of the worst or most challenging driving is around St. Jean with all the people and parked cars.......the road can go from narrow to VERY narrow quickly. If anything, it's easier to drive on the GCdS side because the traffic is lighter.

My "narrow road" comment wasn't meant just for that end of the island. The roads are narrow in many places. But the drive to/from PCdS is not an easy one at night especially to one not used to the island. And that's my opinion. :wink2:

My "narrow road" comment wasn't meant just for that end of the island. The roads are narrow in many places. But the drive to/from PCdS is not an easy one at night especially to one not used to the island. And that's my opinion. :wink2:

Where's Mike R when you (I) need him?!?!?

I don't really worry about the roads themselves, it's the other drivers that are on them. The shorter the distance between my destinations, the better for me.

no one should be drinking and driving no matter where the location, so good to have a designated driver! I agree they should pick the villa that best suits their needs, and there are a few nice restaurants not far from Petit Cul de Sac including Le Toiny, Le Sereno, Le Guanahani, O'Corail, La Gloriette, Yosushimania, etc... and Saline isn't that far (10 minute drive) where there are 4 good places to dine or enjoy lunch and the beach....

I'll chime in as well. We have stayed all over the island - (Colombier, Toiny, GCdS, Flamands, St. Jean, Gustavia, Vitet, Point Milou quickly come to mind) and just returned from a stay in Petit Cul de Sac (our first time in this part of the island). We absolutely loved it in part because it is so much quieter than other parts of the island. Our "commute" to Saline in the mornings along Grand Fond was so peaceful and beautiful and relaxing. Lately, I find the traffic in Flamands and St. Jean to be the most unenjoyable thing about driving on SBH! The island is getting busier and busier and Petit Cul de Sac was like heaven for us. That said, our first trip 20 years ago we were in Grand Cul de Sac and thought the driving (esp. in the rain) was a bit of a challenge but the roads (some of them :)) have been improved (and the mini is the perfect car for the island imho).

I agree with Bart. For a newbie I think the drive up from Gustavia to Lurin or Flamands during the day would be nerve wracking enough. After dinner in the dark, I might prefer to go the long way around to PCdS. I think something around and Lorient is about as good as it gets for a compromise location that gets you away from the hustle and bustle but doesn't result in too far a drive.

Going through St Jean with all the cars parked around that curve and having one of those mini cement trucks coming the other way makes even a Kia feel a little too big.

We are in Barts camp as well. The island is tiny and anywhere is fine. Be careful though when you are renting directly from an owner as you have little recourse. Pictures can bebe deceiving and we have heard bad stories regarding some of the Villas. As a first time renter, you may want to use a rental service. Like Amy says, wind is a good thing vis a vis mosquitos.