flight headaches AA

TPunch42

Senior Insider
Why does it really have to be so difficult???!? We had great flights on hold with AA and now only have headaches as they cancelled our connecting flight home through Charlotte which meant either a night in SXM or a night in Charlotte. Instead we are reducing our trip and flying in and out of LA and spending our overnight with my mom. Question though: I am concerned that I have chosen another flight that could disappear again connecting in Charlotte.

Is AA reducing their USAir former flight schedule? or are they just dropping flights that are not full? Am I at risk losing the same flight connecting to LAX. At least returning through LAX there are other options if it does happen but it would be a way better day if they didn't cancel on us again.

When living in CA -- and even more recently -- I have often used an AA "red eye" flight out of LAX (as I recall, there was one at 10:30 PM & one at 11:55PM). Both were non-stop to MIA, where I got a flight (about 10:30 - 11:00 AM, as I recall) to SXM, arriving there around 1 or 2 PM (depending on daylight savings time or not). You might check to see if these flights are still available . . . they were totally reliable.

Its not the flight out that is the problem it's getting home.

Just found out there are no SB commuter flights on our new travel dates. this is going from bad to worse.

Going home, I had a couple of choices -- SXM to MIA, CLT, or JFK . . . then a flight to LAX. LAX arrival usually was about 11:30 PM. Going through CLT was the worst -- it's what prompted me to get "Global Entry." The flights out of SXM were, as I recall, about 2 PM.

From recent travel woes with American it seems like they have been eliminating their old UsAir connection hubs.....one being through Phoenix over Chrisrmas....our flight out of Philadelphia to Phoenix connecting to Reno got cancelled the morning of our departure...9 hours later through Dallas we finally made it....but I have to say after a letter of complaint we did get compensated for our woes....assuming connections through Charlotte might be experiencing the same thing...

AA cancelled our late afternoon flight from SXM to MIA and then put us on an earlier flight that was not compatible with our flight out of St. Barth. Our only solution was to have AA put us on the only other late afternoon flight, which went to CLT. We stayed the night in Charlotte and flew home the next day. I'm not sure I will fly AA until it can work through this USAir issue.

AA has been doing the same to me on our flights for June. Originally I had booked a late night flight out of Ohare to Philly. They cancelled the late night and put me on a 6:00 PM flight to Philly. No big deal, other than I would have to leave work to make it to Chicago. Then about two or three weeks later, they must have re-added the late night (10 PM) flight out of Ohare to Philly, but cancelled my return flight from Miami to Ohare and booked me on a late night flight to Ohare from Miami.....

I've had some good luck recently with Delta . . . I'd check its schedule.
Agree for the first time in 22 years we are using delta and we fly delta every week. Schedules work and are convenient.

I am "this" far away from 2,000,000 miles on AA and it's getting harder and harder to stay.
And AA will probably change the platinum benefits when I get there ....

Well we were able to switch over to Jet blue for our flight out but still at American Airlines mercy on our way home. The flight does appear pretty full CLT to LAX and if they cancel that one there is another afternoon connection in SXM that goes through MIA but it gets us back at 12:12 AM.. So I think we will take our chances that they will keep the flight through Charlotte. We are now traveling on the 3rd of July home so we will miss any 4th gatherings... I guess that's the price to pay for waiting so long to book. sigh...

I am "this" far away from 2,000,000 miles on AA and it's getting harder and harder to stay.
And AA will probably change the platinum benefits when I get there ....
I have 3,000,000 with Delta and I feel the exact same way

. . . still at American Airlines mercy on our way home . . .
Do you have "Global Entry?" If not, I recommend that you get it before you travel (you have time to do so). I've flown the itinerary you're describing many times, and I found that the time of arrival at CLT coincided with two or three other "jumbo" flights arriving about the same time. Immigration lines were the worst I've ever seen . . . anywhere. Global Entry makes Immigration & Customs simple and fast.

DL ATL-SXM cannot be trusted during low season. I've said before that in my opinion their published schedule is an estimation of an approximation of what they might like to fly. Expect it to be pared back to a few days a week, if it hasn't already been pared back.

JFK-SXM appears to be more reliable.

DL ATL-SXM cannot be trusted during low season. I've said before that in my opinion their published schedule is an estimation of an approximation of what they might like to fly. Expect it to be pared back to a few days a week, if it hasn't already been pared back.

JFK-SXM appears to be more reliable.
we are doing for both trips in May and June. If Mays a bust we are back to Jet B and Tradewinds. SBC filled up so fast this June and July we had to use Winair hadn't done that it years.

Do you have "Global Entry?" If not, I recommend that you get it before you travel (you have time to do so). I've flown the itinerary you're describing many times, and I found that the time of arrival at CLT coincided with two or three other "jumbo" flights arriving about the same time. Immigration lines were the worst I've ever seen . . . anywhere. Global Entry makes Immigration & Customs simple and fast.

Do all members of your party need to have global entry to use it?

we are doing for both trips in May and June. If Mays a bust we are back to Jet B and Tradewinds. SBC filled up so fast this June and July we had to use Winair hadn't done that it years.

Keep an eye on 'em. I've still got about 300K miles marooned with DL 'cause I can't trust them to SXM. I'm trying to use them up on trips throughout the Southeast.