Transat Ag2r La Mondiale : départ dimanche !

Wise plan . . . sorry for the sailors, but a hostage situation would be much worse than the detour.

In the South, the main fleet is moving farther offshore to avoid the coast of Mauretania. Back to the North, Cuisines Ixina has committed to the Northern Route, and Free Dom looks to be following. Lorienrependre may also be forced to take the Northern Route.

image.jpg

image.jpg

English Corner
11/04 - 12h22

Monday 11, message from Artemis

« Hi all, Sooooo were of the african coast and, well last night was an experiance!Tthe weather was great steady winds and warm weather. What was more a problem was the huge amounts of unlit or poorly lit boats of the coast. They would sproadically light up with flasing lights when they saw us and would then migrate towards the boat one cut within 15 meters of the boat. It requited a good look out last night and a very powerful spotlight to light these oats up and watch them. This morning we saw what these boats actually look like an they are small wooden skiffs. Yes much like the ones from captain phillips often these boats had 3-4 people onboard. I think they were just as surprised to see us and we were to see them. Anyways now we are continuing down the coast at full steam in 19 knots of breeze waiting to make our gybe and head out across the vast atlantic finally! Artemis Out Robin and Sam »

Hmm. Curious fishermen or "much like the ones from captain phillip"? Perhaps that 35 mile exclusion-zone should start sooner and be extended farther offshore.

WOW! What an experience -- probably not expected as part of the race. I hope that everyone passes through the area as successfully..

Monday 11, message from Artemis.... What was more a problem was the huge amounts of unlit or poorly lit boats of the coast. They would sproadically light up with flashing lights when they saw us and would then migrate towards the boat one cut within 15 meters of the boat. It requited a good look out last night and a very powerful spotlight to light these oats up and watch them. This morning we saw what these boats actually look like an they are small wooden skiffs. Yes much like the ones from captain phillips often these boats had 3-4 people onboard. I think they were just as surprised to see us and we were to see them. Anyways now we are continuing down the coast at full steam in 19 knots of breeze waiting to make our gybe and head out across the vast atlantic finally! Artemis Out Robin and Sam » Hmm. Curious fishermen or "much like the ones from captain phillip"? Perhaps that 35 mile exclusion-zone should start sooner and be extended farther offshore.

Artisanal fishing off West Africa has been victimized by "pirate fishing" - for more info on that, there is this from Greenpeace on the global problem and this from the Equal Justice Foundation concentrating on West Africa and the EU. I suspect the fishermen were interested in seeing who was coming into their waters - passagemakers are generally aware that they should stay clear of these waters... Piracy off West Africa has mainly been directed towards oil - the area of greatest risk has been well south of this off Nigeria... the risk has been greater there than off Somalia but the piracy in the Gulf of Guinea has slowed with lower oil prices... a map of maritime piracy incidents from the International Maritime Bureau can be found here

With the last position fix of the day, I'm guessing at what boats are doing. In the North, Cuisines Ixina made the turn for the Northern route, and then turned back South, likely in search of better winds. Free Dom also appears to be headed for the Northern Route. Lorientrependre is lamenting the low winds on the eastern side of the Canaries, could go either way, but I'm guessing Northern Route. Guadeloupe, also in the North, is crawling behind the pack off the coast of Africa. I expect them to continue on the Southern Route.

Capture.JPG

The main pack to the south, presented with an exclusion zone off the coast of Mauretania, have made their turn and are headed for Cape Verde. Some predications call for a speedier than usual crossing.

Capture.JPG

That night sail along the African coast must have been really hairy! Seeing those other boats approach in the dark tends to make one start to think about what there is on board that might serve as a weapon if the worst case scenario should occur.

There are two women in the race, Alienor Fleury aboard Guadelouoe, and Stéphanie Jadaud aboard Free Dom Services à Domicile. From Stéphanie Jaloud: She speaks of detesting the "zones de pétole", areas of no wind. She was sold on this race by dreams of sailing under a spinnaker, enjoying the tradewinds in a bathing suit. (I suspect she's not the only one in the race with similar thoughts). She speaks of frustrations with the wind, being becalmed off of Tenerife for 24 hours, and the difficulty of being a hyper person under those conditions. Morale fluctuates with the wind speed.

Message de Stéphanie Jadaud reçu à 10h52 (EnDouble EnCouple / Transat AG2R La Mondiale) :

"Bonjour les filles !
Bon c'est quoi ce bazar ??!! On m'avait vendu du rêve avec des descentes sous spi en maillot de bain dans les alizés et on se retrouve à faire du près en Bretagne avec mon bonnet !!!! C'est un peu la guerre des nerfs avec ces zones de pétole !!! Je deteste ça !!!! Grrrrr !!!! St-Barth me paraît bien loin ... Je commence même à me demander si on aura assez de bouffe.
Pour le moment, on essaie de sortir péniblement des Canaries mais ce n'est pas chose facile !! On est restés coincés dans la pétole au large de Ténérife depuis 24 heures mais il semblerait que le vent rentre enfin et que ça avance à nouveau ! On espère pouvoir s'extraire de cette zone rapidement.
Pas facile de gérer la pétole, surtout pour quelqu'un d'hyper impatient comme moi ! Je ne pensais pas à quel point ça pouvait m'atteindre cette inertie emprisonnante ! Les jours passent et les milles restant à faire augmentent, c'est grave docteur ?!?! St-Barth paraît tellement loin ...
Sinon tout va bien à bord, et le moral oscille en fonction de la vitesse du bateau vers notre but !
On vous embrasse
A bientôt !"

image.jpeg

There are essentially two races now, the first 11 boats, and the last 3. The leaders are within 140 miles of Cape Verde, and will soon be able to "humer les odeurs", smell the smells, tonight. The remaining 3 boats are 3 days or so behind. Barring a miracle, they are racing against each other now, not the main fleet. They've run into a "rich get richer, poor get poorer" scenario in regards to the wind - the leaders continue to get good wind, the trailing boats suffer in light air.

Stéphanie Jaudad speaks of watching dolphins accompany the boat, and the beauty of watching them swimming like torpedoes in a phosphorescent sea. They now have 12 knots of wind, but are struggling with route choices.

Cercle Vert has changed course to get out oh the wind shadow of the leaders, hoping to find an advantage.

Agir Recouvrement and Gedimat remain within about 3 miles of each other, and may continue that way until one manages to break away.

The next route decision involves Cape Verde - pass the islands to port or starboard, or thread between them. It's an important choice, and perhaps the last big one for awhile.

image.jpg

Wind Map. The short explanation - Big Fs are better than Hockey Sticks when you're looking for more wind. Big Fs where the horizontal lines are both long (instead of top long, bottom shorter) are even better. It's a good thing when the long part of the Hockey Stick/F points from where you are to where you want to go.

image.png

The long explanation, with pictures and appropriate terminology:

image.jpg