How to use a pay parking system in Gustavia, Saint Barthélemy

I'm thinking we'll be around 12 to 14 euros/day if we're parking around 4pm and leaving around 10am- if it works the way I think it does. I was considering Gumbs for a rental car, but with Oscar in town it may be more convenient for us to walk from the Harbor Master's office when we clear in. Plus I was wondering if I might be able to negotiate some free parking from them given the time of year. Any experience with Oscar's service and cars?

Sorry, can't help with that one.

DW, alternatively, depending on where you're moored, stash your rental in the free lot in front of the Hôtel de la Collectivité (Town Hall) on the far side of the harbor.

Kevin's right. Gumbs will probably deliver a car to you at the harbor masters office, and you can park the car (and the dinghy) free on the far side of the harbor. Bit of a schlepp if you're walking, but you won't be...

I had an odd experience or two at the paid parking lot yesterday, one of our film festival guests drove in and the arm was already up (stuck) and she didn't realize she needed a ticket so it cost her 46 Euros to get out. Then there was a man in front of us all, a line of about 4 cars were stuck behind someone who hadn't scanned his ticket or paid and ran back to do so, holding up the entire parking lot.. and when I had paid I owed 4.50 E and put in three coins of 2 E each.. did I get the usual change, nope ! I got a piece of paper that said they owe me 1.5 E, when I figure out what to do with it, I'll let you know...

I had an odd experience or two at the paid parking lot yesterday, one of our film festival guests drove in and the arm was already up (stuck) and she didn't realize she needed a ticket so it cost her 46 Euros to get out. Then there was a man in front of us all, a line of about 4 cars were stuck behind someone who hadn't scanned his ticket or paid and ran back to do so, holding up the entire parking lot.. and when I had paid I owed 4.50 E and put in three coins of 2 E each.. did I get the usual change, nope ! I got a piece of paper that said they owe me 1.5 E, when I figure out what to do with it, I'll let you know...

I had a similar issue with the arm at the airport pay lot. I thought that I might have tailgated too closely behind the car in front of me. The arm eventually dropped, and I was able to get a ticket.

If the piece of paper has a scannable code on it then you may be able to use it for payment the next time that you park there.

Ellen, the exact same thing happened to Gary and I on Thursday! There's definitely some kinks which will need working out.