Lorient construction

JEK

Senior Insider
Saw what I thought was a clearing for more development, but on closer inspection it appears to be terraces of old stone walls a la Grand Fond. I've never noticed it before, probably due to perspective. Perhaps someone has the story on this "farm" in Lorient.

image.jpg

Fascinating! Especially since pineapples don't require much water. The venture may have started during one of the island's periodic drought periods, as it recently has endured.

Remember: There was little if any way to get the produce off the isle. SBH has always been an importer with the mild exception of salt. Even with salt there was enough local consumption. Pineapples, though a romantic thought had no commercial value. Locals preferred to grow root veggies that had longer staying value and nutrition. Think about the best use of limited rain.

The island, when I arrived in the '60s was very DRY. It has only been in the last 20-30 years that one sees lush areas on SBH. I have watched the "greening" of SBH over the last couple of decades. Good? Bad? Not my call for this post.

Regarding the "greening" are you talking about in the towns and around the villas, or in the wilder areas like unsettled hillsides, the area around the beach at Colombia, etc?

Remember: There was little if any way to get the produce off the isle. SBH has always been an importer with the mild exception of salt. Even with salt there was enough local consumption. Pineapples, though a romantic thought had no commercial value. Locals preferred to grow root veggies that had longer staying value and nutrition. Think about the best use of limited rain.

The island, when I arrived in the '60s was very DRY. It has only been in the last 20-30 years that one sees lush areas on SBH. I have watched the "greening" of SBH over the last couple of decades. Good? Bad? Not my call for this post.

Marius said they were a major import and require very little water, thus the appeal.

JEK: No economical way to get them apples off the island. Limited fruitful season. Not an economic use of land. Locals preferred to produce for local consumption. Thus the potato type vegie. I can not recall it's name right now.

The "greening" of the island is the direct result of mega villas, hotels and such. When cisterns were the only source of household water, lawnsand decrotive plants were not really an option. Now that there is "town water", there is more irrigation. Those seemingly small parcels of greenery have contributed to a "climate change" on the isle in all locations.

JEK: No economical way to get them apples off the island. Limited fruitful season. Not an economic use of land. Locals preferred to produce for local consumption. Thus the potato type vegie. I can not recall it's name right now.

Pascal recalls a storage house in Lorient and boats taking them out to ships for export.

The "greening" of the island is the direct result of mega villas, hotels and such. When cisterns were the only source of household water, lawnsand decrotive plants were not really an option. Now that there is "town water", there is more irrigation. Those seemingly small parcels of greenery have contributed to a "climate change" on the isle in all locations.

Thanks! That's what I figured, but I wasn't sure if you meant that the island was somehow getting more rain now then in did in your youth.

Speaking of cisterns, we had some friends who are renting in Gustavia and the city water was shut down all week to the house for unknown reasons. No cistern, so they were begging around for places to shower.

Not yams. A rough, big tuber. White. Usually served mashed with butter and black pepper.

Pascal may be right. But, the pineapple industry never was a money maker and as such, ended. Much effort was put into making the "garden" terraces. I think there was a gravity fed watering system for the terraces.

As the terraces are a direct telescope view from my breakfast table, I have been fascinated by them for 50 years.

Speaking of cisterns, we had some friends who are renting in Gustavia and the city water was shut down all week to the house for unknown reasons. No cistern, so they were begging around for places to shower.

Always good to have plan "B".