Amalfi Coast car and driver

debd

Senior Insider
A few of you have made mention of hiring a car and driver for this area. I was wondering how to go about making those sort of arrangements.

Hi, Deb. I've been reading the Rick Steves travel guide for Italy in preparation for a trip and he gives some suggestions regarding hiring cars/drivers, etc. If you don't have it, I find he has a lot of great info, although I'm sure someone in here with first hand knowledge will respond too.

We have had car and drivers a number of time for the Amalfi coast. We have always done it through our hotel concierge- at Ville d'Este in Como and at the Hassler in Rome. We strongly suggest not to drive the Amalfi coast as it is nerve shattering- the curves, cliffs and other drivers. Just sit back and enjoy the views and libations.

We have had car and drivers a number of time for the Amalfi coast. We have always done it through our hotel concierge- at Ville d'Este in Como and at the Hassler in Rome. We strongly suggest not to drive the Amalfi coast as it is nerve shattering- the curves, cliffs and other drivers. Just sit back and enjoy the views and libations.

Thanks.

Hi, Deb. I've been reading the Rick Steves travel guide for Italy in preparation for a trip and he gives some suggestions regarding hiring cars/drivers, etc. If you don't have it, I find he has a lot of great info, although I'm sure someone in here with first hand knowledge will respond too.

I do like his books. Thanks for the reminder.

We just finished planning most of a trip. We are flying Aeroflot which allows for a short Moscow visit?!?

Anyway - on the itinerary - Rome, Naples, Amalfi coast with stays in Capri and Paiano. A bit ambitious IMHO, but why not.

I, too, made my arrangements through the hotel (Hotel Miramare), Deb, and it was one of the better decisions I've ever made! The driver met us at the train station in Napoli and drove us to Positano and back a week later. We had another driver to take us to Ravello for the day/night. He waited for us as we toured the beautiful Villa Cimbrone. We saw him later sitting in the square reading the paper and we invited him to join us for dinner at Cumpa Cosimo only to find out after the meal, the owners were his sister and brother-in-law. Let's just say that was one of the least expensive meals of the trip. We learned so much about the Amalfi Coast during that dinner. I highly recommend hiring a driver and I hope you get one as great as ours!

I, too, made my arrangements through the hotel (Hotel Miramare), Deb, and it was one of the better decisions I've ever made! The driver met us at the train station in Napoli and drove us to Positano and back a week later. We had another driver to take us to Ravello for the day/night. He waited for us as we toured the beautiful Villa Cimbrone. We saw him later sitting in the square reading the paper and we invited him to join us for dinner at Cumpa Cosimo only to find out after the meal, the owners were his sister and brother-in-law. Let's just say that was one of the least expensive meals of the trip. We learned so much about the Amalfi Coast during that dinner. I highly recommend hiring a driver and I hope you get one as great as ours!

Thanks, Missy.

We head to Praino from Rome. Guessing we'll take the fast train to the spot where we would meet a driver, for the back and forth and possibly a day between.

Haven't reached the Pompeii section of my book yet, but something tells me it would be good. Did you have a tour guide there, Missy?

Haven't reached the Pompeii section of my book yet, but something tells me it would be good. Did you have a tour guide there, Missy?

We did; I wish I could remember his name, but I can't. Also, my travel file was collateral Katrina damage. Ugh.

Pay close attention at Pompeii and when you return, tell me why one photo shows deeper ruts than the other.

pompeii 1.jpg

pompeii 2.jpg

Photos courtesy of The Google.

Yes, driving the Amalfi Coast is unlike anything you've done before, so think of it as an adventure. I've been there 3 times and driven it myself each time. Narrow roads, fast, pushy, Italian drivers, sharp curves and huge drop offs. So what? I wouldn't drive it after a few cocktails but any competent driver can do it. Read about it, watch a few videos and be prepared.
Be especially careful around Naples, one of the most dangerous cities in Europe (see the book, Gomorrah).

Be especially careful around Naples, one of the most dangerous cities in Europe (see the book, Gomorrah).

Thanks, David. Good to know. We are only there two nights, mostly to get frm point a to point b, and to see Pompeii and Herculaneum. It is the only spot for which we have not yet selected accommodations. Your caveat will greatly influence our decision now. Thank you.

Our favorite Hotel in the Amalfi coast- actually Positano is the il San Pietro but need to make reservations ASAP as they fill up quickly.