Amalfi Coast car and driver

Ruts are from wheels of "chariots," meaning carts used to haul things (not necessarily people).

Ruts are from wheels of "chariots," meaning carts used to haul things (not necessarily people).

But Dennis, why are the ruts so much deeper on this one particular "street" than the other? That's the question. I know the answer, do you?

Deb, are you staying in Praino? We stayed at Casa Angelina, on the top floor that had a rooftop deck; one of the best places and rooms that we have ever stayed at, beautiful !
In Praino, try the restaurant : La Brace. ( we ate there twice)! And walk down the paths to the rocky beach, there's a restaurant on the rocks called; Gavitella; awesome place!
Have a great trip......was just talking to my husband about returning.......

I assumed, Missy, that it was because this Main Street was so heavily traveled. Were the ruts intentionally created? Perhaps as early "gutters," to carry away rain water?

I assumed, Missy, that it was because this Main Street was so heavily traveled. Were the ruts intentionally created? Perhaps as early "gutters," to carry away rain water?

That would be a great assumption, Dennis, but not quite the reason our guide provided.

Ok...here's the scoop on the deep ruts on that one street in Pompeii as told me by a local guide: The only "houses of ill repute" were on this street. This was deduced by the "art" on the walls of these particular houses. These works of "art" actually made me blush. It appears by the deeper ruts on this street, it was very well-traveled. Interesting things you learn when you pay attention!

We were on the Amalfi Coast in September and used a private driver. I highly recommend Simply Amalfi http://www.simplyamalfi.com/. Katherine and Salvatore were great to work with. They are both very fun and knowledgeable. If you are ever in Florence, Katherine offers walking tours and tours throughout Tuscany.

I'm sure that a "car and driver" approach to the area would be great. I'll add, however, that when recently there, we drove everywhere, in both directions, from Ravello, our "home base." I found traffic to be very slow . . . so didn't feel, as I was driving, that I missed any sights. And we stopped frequently simply to admire views and take photos. The area is breathtakingly beautiful and ranks up there with SBH in terms of places where we'll eagerly return.

I'm sure that a "car and driver" approach to the area would be great. I'll add, however, that when recently there, we drove everywhere, in both directions, from Ravello, our "home base." I found traffic to be very slow . . . so didn't feel, as I was driving, that I missed any sights. And we stopped frequently simply to admire views and take photos. The area is breathtakingly beautiful and ranks up there with SBH in terms of places where we'll eagerly return.

Dennis,

We come from the, "do you want to drive or do you want to criticize" school. For this particular journey, the guess is the car/driver approach may be the way to go. lol

. . . a safe way to go, for sure! And, I'll note that while driving & stopping along the way at restaurants and cafes, I consciously abstained from drinking wine! The "driver" option opens more possibilities to your enjoyment of the trip!

. . . a safe way to go, for sure! And, I'll note that while driving & stopping along the way at restaurants and cafes, I consciously abstained from drinking wine! The "driver" option opens more possibilities to your enjoyment of the trip!
Hear! Hear!