5 Star Eden Rock from Forbes Travel

andynap

Senior Insider
image.jpeg

Hi! I received photos of ER from my travel agent who spent the day there yesterday, stopping on a cruise. Having stayed at the Guanahani for about 12 years, I had not really considered ER as I did not think their reputation of the employees was so fabulous in the past, but my travel agent was over the moon about how well she was treated (not sure she IDed herself as one) and she thought we should consider it on our next trip. I read on TripAdvisor so many good recent reviews, I was really surprised how many good things were said! Of course, the location of ER is superb, but I was wondering if anyone could give me a personal opinion if you have stayed there recently. I love the St. Jean area as you can walk everywhere, but not sure about the busy atmosphere/lots of public which I am imagining must be that of ER, compared to Le Guanahani. I don't know if it is hard to get beach lounges as a client, (this is not a problem at Le Guanahani), but some upscale places like the Four Seasons in Maui have this problem. It would be hard to tear myself away from Le Guanahani, but it might be fun to be in the action. (As a Nikki Beach aficionado, that is good thing for me, but not sure how others feel.) Thanks in advance for any updates/comparisons you can give. Their website is beautiful but awful to try to find the prices and package offers...still have not been able to access that information. Maybe they should be more forthcoming with that info.

We have stayed at both many times and have enjoyed nothing but the best service and attention to detail. The location at St Jean is the real deciding factor these days - closer in to all the action. Transats for all stayers and after the first day yours will be set up for the rest of your stay. As for rates, just make a trial booking and all options appear. The suites are unique and offer many historical features of the frequent stayers of yore. You won't be disappointed :)

Hi! I received photos of ER from my travel agent who spent the day there yesterday, stopping on a cruise. Having stayed at the Guanahani for about 12 years, I had not really considered ER as I did not think their reputation of the employees was so fabulous in the past, but my travel agent was over the moon about how well she was treated (not sure she IDed herself as one) and she thought we should consider it on our next trip. I read on TripAdvisor so many good recent reviews, I was really surprised how many good things were said! Of course, the location of ER is superb, but I was wondering if anyone could give me a personal opinion if you have stayed there recently. I love the St. Jean area as you can walk everywhere, but not sure about the busy atmosphere/lots of public which I am imagining must be that of ER, compared to Le Guanahani. I don't know if it is hard to get beach lounges as a client, (this is not a problem at Le Guanahani), but some upscale places like the Four Seasons in Maui have this problem. It would be hard to tear myself away from Le Guanahani, but it might be fun to be in the action. (As a Nikki Beach aficionado, that is good thing for me, but not sure how others feel.) Thanks in advance for any updates/comparisons you can give. Their website is beautiful but awful to try to find the prices and package offers...still have not been able to access that information. Maybe they should be more forthcoming with that info.
On our first visit to SBH, 25 years ago, we stayed @ Guanahani, and didn't like it at all. We drove around, looking for a place we liked (since we LOVED SBH, and wanted to return the next year), and found FILAO BEACH, and have wonderful memories of this lovely place. When it was sold to EDEN ROCK, we moved "next door" and cannot sing its praises loudly enough! It is "home" and it is sheer perfection!
For your needs, it is a short walk to shops and to Nikki Beach; your day starts with a magnificent breakfast served @ the Sand Bar, facing the gentle St. Jean beach; the sea is calm and from the day you arrive, you will reserve beach chairs, and the name of your room on a rock will be placed at your beach table, and they will be yours for our entire stay.
The staff is extraordinary: warm, friendly, helpful, professional.
We, too, are "over the moon" about how well we are treated.
Eden Rock is truly paradise!

Thank you so much for your replies! I definitely will consider ER, as I am a big fan of all the shops in the area and have been a good client for at least 12 years. The bonus: Davesdad will not be obligated to drive me into town, as I am too scared to drive in SBH. I also love Super U, which is near..I almost called it "Match". Maybe a few days in each? I think it is very nice that they do look out for their guests by reserving lounges, tables, etc. We have always enjoyed the "inclusive" activities in the packages (how would I have met Gayle from the Jicky cruise otherwise?!!) but of course, these things could be scheduled separately. The Guanahani has some great low season packages as we were always going for Davesdad's birthday which coincided with the low season, but I will have to try your suggestion at sample booking some dates for comparative packages at ER. Thank you for that, JEK, and I do agree, it is all about location, location, location, especially when you are tired at night and don't feel like running into town. (To be fair, in GCdeS, we have La Gloriette and a few nice little restos in the area, too!) There is a new suite there that looked spectacular on the website, but I'm not in any danger of booking that one, far as I can tell. If anyone has a suggested room/suite that he or she likes, please let me know. At Le Guanahani, we normally take a one bedroom ocean view suite, usually the same one every year. Thank you again for all your suggestions! I'm on the hunt! Hope the Euro helps me out soon!