Restaurant Prices - Yikes

we should only post reviews about eddy's. my two cents worth...............lol lets keep this an upbeat fun thread.

rascal, you go from yikes about the price of the food in the restaurants to berating members here that have done nothing but post their opinions...........whats up with that.

As Maya Angelou once said:

People will forget what you said,

people will forget what you did,

But people will never forget how

you made them feel.

If everyone continues to happily pay those prices.... who can blame them?

Not sure that's true or will necessarily continue to be true. The place we had been staying (Au Coeur Caraïbe) (where we were perfectly happy) has raised their prices approx 40% in 4 years. It wasn't cheap before, but is more than we want to spend now. So, though we had planned on a March trip to SBH we're going elsewhere in May. Not the Dominican but a very, very lovely place with magnificent views, lovely wines, excellent restaurants, and a multitude of walk-out-your-door hikes. Fully equipped 1 BR apartment with stunning view for 90€ per night in high season. More restaurants to choose from and much more reasonably priced. Air fare a bit more but not that much more.
We'll probably do SBH next March, but escalating prices will make a difference for some vacationers.

yes of course there are no absolutes....and of course the middle class vacationer will get culled out if the prices for goods and services continue escalating to stratospheric numbers....like, as mentioned in another thread, 50 euro for a chicken salad...LOL

we too have put the island on hold....we will be in a quiet little canal front place in the Keys checking out potential tub for two sites and grabbing some much needed R&R.....now that I am retiring from teaching I may slip down to SBH on my own next November when K&K are there...or maybe not..planning is not my strong suit so who knows...

Interesting comment from someone who I never remember writing anything but a stellar review for any restaurant.
Sorry, but some might even wonder if you were being paid a commission by the restaurants.

Admit to being totally biased because I truly love A&P but there is no question that their sole motivation in taking and posting photos from the island and its restaurants is to provide pleasure to the people of this site. To whom - obviously - they owe nothing. This forum is so much richer thanks to their contributions. I know some people would love for Amy and Phil to go all Pete Wells/Per Se and toss the bong water around but some people who are not me actually listened when their parents said that "if you don't have something nice to say ..." Being in the (online) presence of such goodness greatly outweighs any lost intel on the state of french fries and the like imho.

And yes- prices are up.

Admit to being totally biased because I truly love A&P but there is no question that their sole motivation in taking and posting photos from the island and its restaurants is to provide pleasure to the people of this site. To whom - obviously - they owe nothing. This forum is so much richer thanks to their contributions. I know some people would love for Amy and Phil to go all Pete Wells/Per Se and toss the bong water around but some people who are not me actually listened when their parents said that "if you don't have something nice to say ..." Being in the (online) presence of such goodness greatly outweighs any lost intel on the state of french fries and the like imho.

And yes- prices are up.

Perfectly, perfectly stated. I concur.

Thanks Kara!

Well....Tom just returned from his week long stay, and had a fantastic, very laid back trip. He ate very well, and spent waaaay less than any other trip. Obviously, it was a trip with 1 person vs. 2, but even cutting in half the expense of the meals out, I was amazed that in February he was able to dine out so reasonabley. He ate at Grain de Sel one night--loved it, fantastic meal, for 70 E, and another night he stumbled in to L'Esprit with no reservation, and had one of his most memorable dining experiences ever. 80 E. He had lunches mostly with local friends at their homes, so no big lunches out. Also, his AirBnB host brought him fresh croissants and bread, jams, coffee, etc every morning (included in his stay), so no breakfasts out. Other dinners were at Le Piment and La Cantina (both very reasonable---and Piment he said was quite good). Great trip, and wallet-friendly for sure! His objective for this trip was to relax as much as possible, not food/party-oriented.

We found about 100 euros per person with Eden Rock and La Guerite maybe 150. All depends on the wine ordered and how many bottles. Emanuelle is still reasonable compared to others for the consistent quality of his food.

nice to hear Tom had a good time..I m hoping to do a solo trip after fall foliage this year...good for the soul

All depends on the wine ordered and how many bottles.

Indeed. And aperitifs. And café. And dessert. At Grain de Sel, for example, average entrée 15€, average plat principal 25€. So a complete dinner experience might be 6 (ptit punch) + 20 (half bottle wine) + 15 (entrée) + 25 (plat) + 8 (dessert) + 2 (café) = 76€ or $85/per person. Plus 10€ tip. I'm happy with that. Grain de Sel is a great option for reasonable, not cheap, dining.

if you wish cheap dining, go to select or perhaps creperie? love the nutella crepes at the creperie. and reasonable pizza can be found at isoletta. margarita pizza a little over 3 euros a slice. yum yum/

Yes, Dennis and Mike---he had a great time! Another fantastic meal he had was prepared by his host (actually one lunch, one dinner). His host is a native St. Barth man who grew up eating and learning to make Creole food---and apparently the guy is an amazing cook! He made some of the cod fritters (but with different fish, a local fish, and I know thay are called something else, but can't think of the name---acras??), and then a chicken dish in the Creole style. And various other delicious sounding things! He let Tom help him cook, so it was great fun!!!! He used a pressure cooker to make the chicken, and used some spices Tom had never heard of , and is now on a mission to procure :)

Creperie...L'Entracte...Bannaniers....Hideaway...Gloriette.....Bouchon....Repaire....les Jardin....Kiki Y Mo....all great choices for meals that are budget friendly and serve good food....and as long as they can stay in business, there is hope for the little guy...

oh yes how could I forget...considering its one of our usuals....

and Au Regal will give the person a sense of the island culture before the invasion of the TMZ crowd too...LOL