What else can reduce the risk of mosquito bites? It's what AndyNap said!

I sell all the best all natural products including the one mentioned above and this product outsells them all 8 to 1 in my store ...repeat sales are about the best testament one can ask for...it's unbiased and has no agenda ....we have a very large camping population in the summer and our bug problem here borders on ridiculous at certain times of year.....

so FWIW...this is our clear cut winner of the bunch

http://www.tremblingleaf.com

Mike - is there a particular scent that seems to work better or is more popular (Lemon, Spicy, etc)? Looks like they have a number of scents - just wondering which one seems to be the preferred favorite among your customers.

Mike - is there a particular scent that seems to work better or is more popular (Lemon, Spicy, etc)? Looks like they have a number of scents - just wondering which one seems to be the preferred favorite among your customers.

we sell the light lemony and the warm spicy and light lemony outsells warm and spicy.....but both products have a strong resell in our shop with rave review from our customers....we also field tested it in St Barts and it worked very very well

Does anybody know if they sell ThermaCell anywhere in St barts? They work amazing at keeping mosquitos away. They use butane and I don't think we can fly with them so hope we can find them down there

I have not found them in St Barth. Some similar products at Marché but I doubt as good.

First time I recall hearing about this device.http://www.thermacell.com/mosquito-repellent/outdoors

Brought up in this thread along with information regarding clothing treatments just over 2 years ago during the era of chikungunya... may have fallen victim to MFR or TMI... hopefully not ARML...:)

I think you in people are a disgrace speaking in initials that no one else understands. I want my money back. This place is so crowded that no one comes here anymore. :tongue:

Thanks, Jim.

With the potential for newbies joining us on our next trip, I'm looking at all options. While Deep Woods Off and Mosquito Milk have always been my DEET-based defensive means of choice, I'm looking at Picaridin as an alternative. I see Sawyer products with 20% Picaridin on Amazon too, but they require ground shipping. I've got plenty of time to buy, but those who live in an everything-is-done-at-the-last-minute world may want to plan ahead.

Kevin,

You are absolutely correct about picardin products requiring ground shipping. Also, the reason that I recommended the Sawyer's on the REI website (over Amazon, my go-to-company) was that the Sawyer's on REI is a 3 oz container and the one on Amazon (the last time that I checked) was 4 oz. For those carrying on only, the REI 3 oz size would likely be preferable.

Jim

Kevin,

You are absolutely correct about picardin products requiring ground shipping. Also, the reason that I recommended the Sawyer's on the REI website (over Amazon, my go-to-company) was that the Sawyer's on REI is a 3 oz container and the one on Amazon (the last time that I checked) was 4 oz. For those carrying on only, the REI 3 oz size would likely be preferable.

Jim

Thank you for finding this and providing the link. I just picked up a couple of bottles at our REI for my husband and daughter who are traveling to Colombia in a couple of weeks. She's already had dengue and chikungunya and I don't want her to add Zika to the list…the two of them are mosquito magnets, so I have my fingers crossed.

Kevin - We owned a couple of those in CT and, if my memory serves, they are not a short term fix but rather attract and trap the female mosquitos over time eventually reducing the mosquito population in the area. However, if a villa was using them consistently that might be a great thing!

We put up a half dozen bat houses and have quite a few resident bats on our property and our bug problem is significantly less on our property than the surrounding properties...a very noticeable difference when you go for a walk .....and they do all the work ...no propane needed...LOL

This was sent out to all employees today. They should have just referred everyone to this post for information. :tongue: It does have the link to the CDC and their travel info if anyone is interested.

Duke officials have offered travel guidelines in the wake of news reports about the Zika virus that is spreading throughout Central and South America and the Caribbean.

Dr. Cameron Wolfe in Duke's Division of Infectious Diseases said that Zika is a virus transmitted to humans via mosquito bites.

"It is similar to Dengue Fever and is transmitted by the same mosquito," he said. "While no cases have been reported in North Carolina to date, incoming reports indicate that the virus has been actively transmitted in certain U.S. territories, including Puerto Rico and the U.S. Virgin Islands, and has been identified in returning travelers in other states. The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention recently issued travel guidance regarding this mosquito-borne virus."

According to the CDC, only about one in five people infected with the Zika virus will develop symptoms, which can include fever, rash, joint and muscle pains, and less commonly, headache and pain behind the eyes. The illness is usually mild, with symptoms lasting from several days to a week. The most significant concern is for pregnant women who become infected, as there is growing evidence that the Zika virus appears to be associated with microcephaly (small head and brain development) in newborns and other adverse pregnancy outcomes in women infected during pregnancy. The extent of pregnancy complications is a subject of continued research at this time.

Because there are currently no vaccines or treatments for this virus, the only way to prevent infection is to avoid being bitten by infected mosquitos. Based on these circumstances, Duke officials have issued travel guidelines to those planning travel to impacted areas.

"Women in any trimester of pregnancy should consider canceling or postponing travel to areas where the Zika virus is present," said Kyle Cavanaugh, vice president for adminstration and Duke's emergency coordinator. "If travel cannot be avoided, pregnant women should consult with their physician before their trip to discuss the risks of Zika and similar illnesses and should be sure to take strict precautionary measures to prevent mosquito bites. Additionally, until we know more about the virus and how it impacts pregnancy, women who are considering becoming pregnant should follow these same precautionary guidelines."

Officials suggest the following steps to help prevent mosquito bites in impacted areas:

• Wear long-sleeved shirts and long pants.
  • Use EPA-registered insect repellents as directed.
  • Insect repellents containing DEET, picaridin, and IR3535 are safe for pregnant and nursing women and children older than 2 months when used according to their labels.
  • Use permethrin-treated clothing and gear (e.g. boots, pants, socks, and tents).
  • Stay and sleep in screened-in or air-conditioned rooms, and/or sleep under a mosquito bed net.

Anyone who is pregnant and has traveled to a country reporting active transmission of Zika, the CDC recommends they see their physician for counseling and testing. The CDC interim guidelines for pregnant women and their health care providers are now available. Information and guidelines may change frequently as more information about the virus becomes known. For general updated information on Zika, go to http://www.cdc.gov/zika/.

For additional information or clinical questions, members of the Duke community can contact one of the following resources:

• Employee Occupational Health and Wellness (919-684-3136, option 2 and ask for employee resource nurse), or after hours use emergency hotline (919-684-8115).
  • Duke Student Health (919-681-9355).
  • The Division of Infectious Disease also has faculty members ready to assist in evaluating clinical situations. (on-call pager: 919-970-3885).

Mosquitos and Thermacell

Been using Thermacell in our DC backyard for years. Not perfect but keeps us almost entirely mosquito free while neighbors don't go out because of mosquitos.
They had units plus cartridges at Oasis and Marche last year. Oasis is closed right now and I am told by StB native that it is not at Marche now. Airtravel with or shipping of butane cartridges is illegal.
We had a large propane gizmo for a few years. Didn't work at all and were happy to sell it.
Those of us who want our Thermacell better start asking stores in StB to carry it.

Last edited:
Re: Mosquitos and Thermacell

Been using Thermacell in our DC backyard for years. Not perfect but keeps us almost entirely mosquito free while neighbors don't go out because of mosquitos.

Which one are you using, the green one pictured above?

Do you think something like that would work while doing yard work......(moving around the entire year with this thing in your pocket)? We also get brutalized by mosquitos and I'd love to be able to work in a protected bubble instead of spraying down every time I went outside.

Picardin is not toxic if the spray is accidentally inhaled and it does not foul up surfaces such as fishing equipment and lines according to its literature.