AIRPORT TRAFFIC SOARS TO 180,000 PASSENGERS LAST YEAR

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not to enter this fray with something to make the apples and oranges more unequal - but in talking to island residents, they pay a substantially discounted fare (maybe 50%) - on Tradewind. So comparing SBC and TWA is even harder if you don't know how many of the TWA 15,000 residents are islanders.

Excellent point ! I had forgotten that une petite oiseau had told me that a couple of years ago. Can't imagine why TWA would offer that to les Saint-Barths but not to the rest of us . . .

Simple reason: les Saint-Barths are living on a little rock isolated from the rest of the world. When they need to go somewhere it's usually costly and complicated. To compensate this problem, most airlines and ferry boats offer special island resident's discounts (sometimes funded by the Government). It's quite common, and found in many islands.... including Corsica, Ibiza, Palma, , etc....

"Tourists" obviously are on a different "trip" and only respond to a blue sky holiday need..... not quite the same.

By the way, it's "un petit oiseau".... l'oiseau est masculin. :cool:

By the way, it's "un petit oiseau".... l'oiseau est masculin. :cool:

My bad. The little birdie in this case was a lady, and I forgot to forget my English so as to compensate for the fact that, en français, it doesn't matter if it's a little girl birdie or a little boy birdie.
Believe it or not, I have enough French under my belt that I cringe like you do at une faute d'accord (genre/nombre).

For heaven sakes, Pascaleschmidt . . . what a pompous thing to say! I personally find that I sometimes save money or pay no more when I use Tradewind through SJU. I don't know if you've ever done price comparison "shopping" of the routes to SBH, but my experience has taught me to check. The key to pricing the Tradewind routing is the fare to / from SJU . . . there are times when the round trip fare between FL & SJU are "dirt cheap," as an old saying goes.

I agree, Dennis. There are many more flights from some U.S. Airports to SJU than to SXM. And you have to carefully review the options, especially if you using frequent flyer points. I found Pascale's comment surprising, to say the least.

Also some people prefer two flights rather than three, depending on where they are coming from. Also I have found that sometimes Tradewind provides the best route to get where I am going...not always New York...

I found Pascale's comments quite offensive for those of us who choose to fly Tradewind for whatever reason we so choose...for us it is the convenience and availability from our home city and no way do we consider ourselves having big egos.....we are just comfortable with our choice...to each his own....
Aimee

We think it is just habit- the established route has always been SXM. When you go to Expedia etc. the routes given are always thru SXM. One has to work to even discover the SJU route. Until Tradewind wants to get into bed with Priceline and other travel sites to pay their way up the search engine, the SJU route will probably always pay second fiddle to SXM as it is more a word of mouth from a limited number of mouths.

My family of 6 flew Tradewinds from SJU to SBH and a private SBC charter for the return flight from SBH to SJU. I had gotten a deal on flights from Houston to SJU that put that flight itinerary a modest $600 more total for complete flexibility and ease of traveling with my gaggle of kids. Well worth it.

Ça s'appelle une faute de frappe, mon vieux.

Je ne suis pas "ton vieux" (I told you already this is offending).

Une "faute de frappe" c'est lorsque que l'on tape sur une mauvaise touche de son clavier ("frapper son clavier" fait référence aux anciennes machines à écrire où il fallait littéralement frapper sur les touches).

Ce n'est pas le cas ici, tu t'es simplement trompé d'accent (erreur d'orthographe).

Pas besoin d'en faire tout un plat..., ça arrive aux meilleurs d'entre nous.....:up:

it's called a typo in english, old friend. get over it. i know as well as you do that the french word for peanuts is spelled with un accent grave.

The comparison table above demonstrated that TWA is more expensive (by the flying mile) than SBC, both for charter flights and scheduled flights (on the routes operated by both airlines).

There is no doubt that any trip starting in Texas, or anything more "West" (i.e. California....), San Juan is a much better hub to the Caribbean. Usually saving one leg compared to the SXM hub. This is not necessarily true when flying from the East Coast.

That does not mean that Tradewind is cheaper than St Barth Commuter, but it does mean that the convenience of routing and flight options might make the whole trip a better option when originating in HOU, DFW, LAX, SFO, ....

it's called a typo in english, old friend. get over it.

OK French did not work..... let me try in English (last attempt, after that I quit):

Cacahuètes vs Cacahuétes

This is a "spelling error" ("Faute d'orthographe"). This is not a "typing error", aka "typo" ("Faute de frappe").

The French language makes a clear distinction between those two types of error.

Si tu veux parler Français correctement, il faut respecter la précision que la langue requiert. C'est la première règle d'orthographe que l'on apprend aux enfants dans les écoles de France.

BTW, you're welcome!

let me make it a little easier for you, old friend:

Typos vs Misspellings

In this typos vs. misspellings article the differences between typos and misspellings is explained. A typo is just hitting the wrong key. Misspelling a word is usually more complicated. Read on to learn more... Some people lump typos and misspellings together either because they are so often presented that way or because they have never had a reason to clearly differentiate them. The value of differentiating them is to come to a better understanding of one’s own spelling mistakes - which can result from either - so that one can adopt appropriate plans to avoid or find and fix the mistakes.
Typos
Typos refers solely to mistakes that occur because of the way one’s fingers hit the keyboard. They are mistakes that you wouldn’t make if you were, say, writing the word with a pencil or spelling it aloud. They are entirely due to the circumstances of keyboarding.
And, because they are tied to the circumstances of keyboarding, while the user of a QWERTY keyboard and a Dvorak keyboard will make the same type of errors the results of the errors will look different. This is partly because, obviously with a different keyboard layout, missing a key will have different results.
But the other key reason is that the Dvorak keyboard was designed to reduce typos overall by employing a set of principles that include placing frequently used letters where they are most easily reached; allowing the right hand to dominate, since most people are right dominant; arranging letters so that they alternate between hands; and arranging the letters of digraphs so that they are not adjacent. For the rest of the article, however, we will be discussing the QWERTY keyboard, which is much more widely used.
Let’s lay out the main categories of typos.
Skip a letter: If your finger doesn’t come down with enough force, a letter may not get typed. This can happen more with the pinky or on the bottom row.
Double a letter: In typing several letters in close proximity, a key can be accidentally re-tapped.
Transpose letters: Some say that typing t-e-h for t-h-e is the most common spelling error. This suggests that perhaps the messages to the fingers are not keeping up with the keyboarder’s thinking ahead to the next word.
Skip a space: This can happen if the space bar isn’t hit firmly enough or if it needs to be hit with the non dominant hand which is less accustomed to tapping it. In addition, the appearance of a missed space can come about due to a transposition of the space with a letter - often the final letter of a word that gets tagged onto the front of the next word by the space/letter transposition. An example is aboutit instead of about it.
Miss a key: This can happen both when the keyboardist hits a neighboring key instead of the key intended and also with the keys that require a reach or that are less frequently used. So, one may mistype b and numbers like 1, 6, and 7 as well as the `, ~, ^, &, =, and +. In addition, when typing a key combination, the modifying key may be missed, resulting in spellings like aren;t instead of aren’t.
Insert a key: When the fingers are flying, an extra letter that doesn’t belong in the word may get introduced.
Misspellings
Misspellings occur mainly with homophones and words with similar letters. Homographs and homonyms, obviously, can’t be misspelled because one of their features is that they’re spelled identically. Misspellings also occur in words with unusual spellings and/or that don’t follow the most common “rules” that people learn. Common categories of misspelling include:
Double instead of single and Single instead of double: Many people puzzle over the number of c’s and m’s in accommodate and the number of r’s in occurred. Naturally, this confusion is not automatically alleviated when one is keyboarding.
Mistaken spelling of a vowel or consonant sound: When we work with a language in which /k/ can be spelled /c/, /k/, /ck/, /q/, /cq/, etc., it’s not wonder that sometimes misspellings come from assigning the wrong spelling to a sound. This goes for vowels sounds as well, of course.
Mistaken spelling of a suffix (or/er; able/ible): This is like mistaking the spelling of a vowel or consonant sound, but for a slightly larger word part: bigger than a single vowel or consonant sound, but smaller than a word, these homophonic affixes can give keyboardists trouble.
Substituting a homophone: The famous errors of mistaking to, too, two; your, you’re, yore; and their, they’re, there are common at the keyboard. We’re less likely to mistake words that name similar things but look and sound very different (for example: ewe and ram) than we are to mistake these words, which take extra cognitive energy to distinguish.
Now that you know what the types of errors are, you can take a closer look at what happens when you type and have a better shot at choosing strategies that will be effective in improving your spelling.

you should be glad that an american cares to learn your irrelavent (see, there's a misspelling. i can never remember which way the a's and e's go. not a typo. whereas i know perfectly well 100% which accent goes on the e in cacahuète) language anyway. french is scarcely taught anymore in america even in college prep schools.

you should be glad that an american cares to learn your irrelavent (see, there's a misspelling. i can never remember which way the a's and e's go. not a typo. whereas i know perfectly well 100% which accent goes on the e in cacahuète) language anyway. french is scarcely taught anymore in america even in college prep schools.

French an irrelevant language? Wow! Very pleasant and educated answer. Especially on a board dedicated to a French island.

I"m sure all French and francophiles members on this forum will enjoy reading this. You're crossing the line, Cassidain.

Tu devrais vraiment souffler un coup, ça te ferait du bien. Pourquoi pas quelques jours à St Barth ? A parler une langue qui ne sert à rien...

PS: your typo wouldn't have been possible an a QWERTY keyboard (assuming this is what you are using like everybody else in the US?), as there are no accents on the keys. On an AZERTY keyboard, it might be possible as the "é" and the "è" are 4 keys away.

You obviously don't know how an è is produced on a MacBook. Don't sweat it though. Relax.
As far as the French language is concerned, it's a beautiful, beautiful language that I adore and have struggled to learn over several decades off and on. I visit France or SBH every year but need zero French to communicate. Every French man and woman for two generations has learned English as a second language. Statistically zero Americans learn French as a second language. Before each trip I spend hundreds of dollars refreshing my skills with a tutor. Une Suissesse currently. And spend dozens of hours listening to French radio. I start back with my tutor next week for a May trip to Cassis. When in France I will insist on speaking only French at the airport, the car rental, my appt rental agent, people in shops or restaurants or on the street. I make quite an effort while I don't need to make any. I could speak 100% English and have no problems whatever. So, French is not irrelevant to me, but globally in many ways it is.

Status
Not open for further replies.