What is the current mosquito outlook on the island

jayhawkgirl

SBH Insider
We and friends are arriving on the island on January 30. What is the status of mosquito control on the island, and how prevalent is dengue? I am a bit of mosquito magnet, but as far as I know, have not contracted any diseases on island in spite of some mosquito bites. What are the risks, and what are the really necessary protections?

We were there in December and the mosquitoes were prevalent. I'm a mosquito magnet too, but I've managed to avoid bites there by using Mosquito Milk (MM) from the pharmacy and Baygon from the grocery store. I pack a travel size Off in my carry on in case we can't get these products the first day. MM is very effective and not messy or stinky to apply. I apply it before dinner too and take it along in my purse in case the mosquitoes are bad at the restaurant. It's in roll on bottle so it's easy to reapply while out.

We always rent a villa with screens and spray them, around the doors and the outdoor seating areas with Baygon. It is very effective for several hours. I spray the sliding screens from the inside toward the outdoors to discourage mosquitoes from congregating by the door. In the outdoor seating areas, make sure to get around the furniture legs and under tables. And don't leave your car windows down at dusk...they got in our car this year...had never noticed that before...not sure what the attraction was! We didn't notice increased mosquito control, but that could have changed in the last month or so.

This was probably way too much info, but I share the same fears and concerns as you and these precautions have worked for me so far. Have a great trip! ��

there are always mosquitoes on a tropical island, protect yourself accordingly... if where you are staying seems to have too many, get the management to arrange for spraying... and use repellent especially on your ankles everywhere you go...

We stayed high up in Flamands last week, the winds were steady there, but my wife and I still managed to take some bits (mostly because we were lazy at the beginning with regards to putting on mosquito repellent). Towards the end of out trip we were more diligent and we received less bits. Of note, we bough two tubes of Net Effect roll on with us for this trip (the US version of Mosquito Milk) and it seemed to do the trick. We had also rented two of those mosquito traps recommended by Wimco. I don't know how effective they actually were, of note, these contraptions needed to be plugged in to work.

Another odd thing is that mosquitos seem to be less interested in biting while wearing lighter colored clothing. I have a lovely breeze but that doesn't mean there are no mosquitos in the kitchen at dusk and around the terrace. While hanging out at home I have pulled together a sort of uniform that involves light long cotton yoga pants and light long sleeve t-shirts both in white. Amazing the difference darker clothing (even my black handbag while I am working on the computer on the terrace) and especially dark places inside a villa. I find mosquitos LOVE to hang in areas where there is darker wood (furniture, closets, etc.). The same can be said for anywhere damp like a recently used shower. I use an unhealthy amount of OFF in the morning and at dusk. I like the mosquito milk but not the roll on as I find it takes too long to apply. When using MM I go for the spray and put it into my hand and then rub it on like a lotion for best coverage. It amazes me the number of people I know who don't protect themselves (including my husband who hates "spraying toxic stuff on his body" and who had dengue a few years ago and still hasn't copped on). I really do find the lighter colored clothing thing to work well IMHO although this goes against my strong turquoise fixation:). kr

From my helpful hints: "Bring light colored clothes. Women may want to consider long pants for the evening."

https://www.sbhonline.com/forums/threads/82795-Complete-Guide-To-Avoiding-Mosquito-Bites

And if you know you are pregnant, plan on coming AFTER you have the baby.

I understand the sentiment, but I always laugh when someone says something about me getting pregnant. My response is usually that it would take an act of God or medical malpractice for that to happen. TMI, but as they say, measures have been taken.

Thanks for the mosquito advice. Unfortunately, the villa we are renting is open to the outside (except the bedrooms and en suite baths are air conditioned). I guess I will have to use more Deep Woods Off or some Cutter. I might look for mosquito milk and try that on island too. I really appreciate all the advice.

If you have a lot of open air space, get the Baygon. It's a like an Off type of fogger, but it only smells for a few minutes. It really works. It's in the pest section at the grocery store and it has a drawing of a mosquito on the can.

On on a positive note, we weren't bothered by mosquitoes during the day on the beaches.

If you have a lot of open air space, get the Baygon. It's a like an Off type of fogger, but it only smells for a few minutes. It really works. It's in the pest section at the grocery store and it has a drawing of a mosquito on the can.

On on a positive note, we weren't bothered by mosquitoes during the day on the beaches.

Thanks for the info about the beaches. I was trying to figure out how to apply lotion sunscreen and a lotion mosquito repellant.

there are plenty of non Deet products which work very well.....Repel....Skeeter Skidaddler has been field tested in tropical jungles and worked well... http://www.tremblingleaf.com/

at the end of the day Dengue, as bad as it is...beats the heck out of cancer

anything that is directed to not breathe in and to wash your hands after use is a major flag in my book.... this tells me all I need to know:

If you do decide to use a DEET insect repellent, do it wisely. Lunder reminds people that DEET is an insecticide and it can affect the nervous system. The American Academy of Pediatrics recommends using repellents with no more than a 30% concentration of DEET for kids over 2 months. Don't apply insect repellent to kids younger than 2 months. If you're not going to be outdoors as long, you may want to choose a repellent with a lower concentration of DEET. A 10% concentration of DEET protects for about two hours.

If possible, Lunder recommends putting repellents with DEET on your clothing instead of your skin. Look for a pump spray instead of aerosol, so your child doesn't breathe in as much of the chemical. Don't apply DEET to your child's hands, and always wash your own hands after touching a DEET insect repellent – especially before handling food. Wash your child's skin to remove any repellent when they come back indoors.