Blizzard Watch

andynap

Senior Insider
I know DC and Virginia are getting killed too. Jersey shore will be getting severe flooding.
Cecily Tynan1 hr ·
BLIZZARD WATCH POSTED!
The National Weather Service just issued a blizzard watch Friday evening through Sunday morning for most of our viewing area (far suburb...s NW suburbs not included because winds won't be as strong there, and Cape May County not included because mixing will lessen blowing snow.)
Blizzard conditions are defined as when you gets sustained or prolonged wind gusts of at least 35 mph along with blowing snow that reduces visibility to less than a quarter-mile; all for at least three hours straight.
Very few storms meet that criteria (even the "Blizzard of '96" technically didn't.)
But, no doubt, we will have blizzard conditions for a while so I think this watch was a good move! Kudos, by the way, to Chris Sowers started saying this could be known as "Blizzard of 2016" back on Monday.

Last updated: Thursday, January 21, 2016, 10:43 AM
Posted: Thursday, January 21, 2016, 7:31 AM

image: http://media.philly.com/designimages/partnerIcon-Inquirer-2014.jpg
partnerIcon-Inquirer-2014.jpg

The Philadelphia region is already gearing up for a weekend snowstorm.
The latest National Weather Service projections say most of the area will see blizzard conditions and 12 to 18 inches of snow by the time the storm ends early Sunday, easily the largest snowfall for the region this winter.
In advance of the storm, which is expected to arrive Friday evening, roads were being prepped, travelers were making alternate plans and consumers were stocking up on groceries and other goods.
In the meantime, some snow fell overnight in different parts of region, with reported accumulations ranging from 2.8 inches in Atlantic City to about of half-inch points west of there.Weather Service
The National Weather Service has put the region under a Blizzard Watch effective Friday evening through Sunday morning. A Coastal Flood Watch also will be in effect at the Shore and along the Delaware Bay. These alerts could change as the storm gets closer.
The weather service's latest briefing calls 12 to 18 inches of snow the most likely amount for the Philadelphia area, with less along the New Jersey coast and in the Poconos.
A Blizzard Watch means there is a potential for strong winds and heavy and blowing snow. Winds of 20 to 30 mph, with frequent gusts of up to 40 mph, will reduce visibility to a quarter-mile or less at times. This "can lead to whiteout conditions and make travel very dangerous," the watch says.
The weather service also says the snow is expected to be dry and fluffy at the start, but will become wetter and heavier as the storm unfolds. Shoveling may be problematic for those with physical ailments. Snow could cling to wires and trees and cause power outages. Roads could become impassable due to increasing snow accumulation during the storm.
A Coastal Flood Watch means moderate coastal flooding is possible and there may be localized areas of major coastal flooding. The coastal flooding could last for three consecutive high tides with water remaining trapped along the coast, and in the back bays and estuaries.
High tide on the New Jersey and Delaware oceanfronts occurs between 6:30 a.m. and 7:30 a.m. Saturday, between 7 p.m. and 8 p.m. Saturday and between 7 a.m. and 8 a.m. Sunday.
Waves heights on the near shore waters are forecast to build to 15 to 20 feet over the weekend. Wave heights on Delaware Bay may build to 4 to 8 feet.
Strong winds are also forecasted. Near the coast, gusts could reach 50 to 60 mph, while gusts of 25 to 35 mph are expected further inland

Take ours- please. It looks like a stay at home weekend. We have enough food for a week and wine for months

we are majorly bumming up here and hoping for maybe a wiggle west and north...Cape is going to get slammed....but stay safe...have your gen set ready

We are on the snow/ice line tomorrow here in the Raleigh/Durham area - this was just posted to our local news channel:
Jet Blue, Southwest cancel flights from RDU ahead of storm — Jet Blue and Southwest airlines plan to cancel flights into and out of Raleigh-Durham International Airport beginning late Thursday and lasting through Sunday morning, the airport said
Read more at http://www.wral.com/#P4OQTkjRKomZqW2w.99

What is not cancelled, the 105 patients scheduled in the outpatient chemotherapy treatment center for Friday.

Stay safe everyone.

C

We've already got about 10" and it's only 9:45 a.m. They're forecasting up to 20" here in Somerset County, NJ, but at this rate I wouldn't be surprised if we get 2 feet of snow or more. Lots of good home cooking will be done this weekend, along with a fair bit of imbibing! Stay warm and safe everyone.

The PADOT snowplow can't keep the road open fast enough- a white out and strong winds. The Jersey shore is getting high tides worse than Sandy with lots of flooding especially Margate which has been fighting the state who wants to put in new dunes. Maybe this will change their minds.

At least 18 inches so far and still coming

I don't think we're going to get that much here in Goochland. It's still coming down really hard, but it's supposed to taper off this afternoon. I had hoped to start shoveling and pushing today, but it looks like I'm going to have to wait until tomorrow.

My sister is in Northern VA and they are up to at least 24" (which, btw they CANNOT handle). This is the current scene - SNowVA.jpg

Yes, poor VA and DC are getting hammered! The snow in Kara's picture would be up to my belly button. Hard to tell with the drifts of snow but have to have at least 18" thus far. Have a hearty beef stew in the oven and the vodka is flowing a tad freely this afternoon - pacing ourselves, of course! Tried attaching a picture with snow here but it's not working - I'm technologically challenged :-(

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    232.1 KB · Views: 365
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    215.4 KB · Views: 359
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    265.4 KB · Views: 350