Lucky 13

ccg

SBH Insider
This is a little later than my usual trip report, but life has been so busy since we got home, and I enjoy writing it. :)

We started as usual with an early Bloody Mary and Mimosa in Charlotte while waiting for our AA flight, and hoping for no unexpected issues. We arrived on time and had easy sailing through the Transit booth but we could not get on an early flight on SBC, so arrived on the island as scheduled. Then the routine kicks in: DEEP Sigh and SMILE, get the car, have Bill pick up the Tables magazine, go to MarcheU, head to the villa, unpack, take another deep sigh, give Bill a kiss, and then decide where to eat. What a great day!!!

We had another really fun trip this year. I just need to figure out how to make the work week go as quickly as our vacation time on SBH. Bart and his wife, Kim, were on the island the same week, so I will let his pictures speak for us as well. The weather was great, the beaches were great, and the company was fantastic. Spending our 1st day being pampered by the staff at Le Guanahani was awesome! We will do that again. I recommend this activity highly! I have seen the light, in 2016 we will not spend Sunday afternoon at Nikki's. There are too many places to spend an afternoon on the island so we will go some place else. Maybe a picnic lunch on Columbier?

We didn't have a particular great meal, but did enjoy many very good dishes throughout the week. We hit the usual places but did try some new dishes for us.
Le Repaire - the gazpacho app is something I will order again -
Santa Fe - the mozz/tomato salad - was too pretty to eat
Tamarin - the arugula salad - perfect - this was our 1st visit - beautiful setting - we were well looked after
Les Bananiers - fried goat cheese salad
Black Ginger - the potstickers - very dark inside but they provide flashlights on the menus - well taken care of here too
Nikki's - tuna tartare and beef sliders
Do Brazil - noodle wok

We did have 1 very disappointing meal and unfortunately it was on our last day and at one of our favorite places, Le Grain de Sel. Our lunch order was lost and not once did the waitress check on us. And when it did come out, it was very disappointing. They tried to pacifiy us by giving us some ginger rhum, but I was too angry to appreciate the gesture. So to try and get in a good mood we headed to La Plage for some airplane watching and music. While we were chilling, Bill started a conversation with none other than Steve Troyer. We had a very nice evening getting to know another forum member.

2015 did bring some sad news for us. Our friend Courtney, who we have know since 2004 is moving back to the States. We always enjoy our visits with her, either on Shell Beach or at one of our many lunches. She will be missed.

As the experts Amy and Phil, always say "plan your next visit before leaving" Well we did. Villa is rented and airline tickets were bought this week. Hoping in 2017, Southwest will open up in SXM to give us another option.

Go Panthers
Go Broncos
Congrats to Alabama - Elle is very happy

You got to do and see an awful lot. Glad the 2017 visit is planned-the only way to head home.

Wonderful report . . . I particularly like the listing of favorite "dish" experiences -- a great commentary.

Sorry about your experience at Le Grain de Sel. Personally, I like the place a lot . . . though, even as a somewhat "regular" there, I will confess that the service & food can be "spotty." On balance, however, I find it to be a light, refreshing, and largely "local" experience . . . all of which causes me to overlook some details. I also always feel -- whether there's a service issue or not -- that everyone's treated the same. (Richard Gere and a guest sat at a table next to me one time . . . no one associated with the restaurant had any idea who he was.)

If we're thinking of the same "Courtney," I'm sorry to read that she'll be leaving the island . . . she's a very nice person and a friend for many years.

Finally, I'll say that you were wise to follow advice of Amy & Phil to plan your return before leaving the island . . . before you know it, your week-long trips will become two week trips! (You even may start photographing your meals!)

Dennis - it is the Courtney you are thinking of. It was a combination of situations that helped her decide to leave SBH. We will return to Le Grain de Sel on our next visit. Everyone has a bad day. I just wish it was not on our last full beach day. Can't do 2 weeks until we get all the kids into college. That is coming up soon and I can't wait!!

Amy - we will be back in 2016, but I am hoping for the 2017 visit that Southwest gives us another option. AA and Delta are the only airlines from RDU.

Re: last day & Grain de Sel -- totally "get" it. The day should be magical & not a "downer!" I always go, at end of each trip, to a "tried-&-true" place -- usually one where I've already been during the week, with a great feeling. Folks at these restaurants usually remember a recent prior visit and are grateful -- and show it! -- for your loyalty. In the long run, I like the fact that you're building such great experiences & memories to guide you in future visits.

Wow- the whole time you were on the island you did not have 'a particularly great meal'- that is not good. Like you, one of our favorite days on the island besides being at the Villa is at the Guanahani- the chairs, towels, mats one lays on are all tops. Indigo never fails to deliver especially their lobster salad and steak tartare- and we love the two different beaches. Their restrooms are very clean and the gift shop is always well stocked.
We agree- Beat Brady and come on Panthers!
Thanks for sharing your trip with us. 2017 will roll around quickly!

Sounds like some great memories were made (unfortunately, a bad one got thrown in the mix this year). I like the dish highlights; I will refer to this in the future. Nice to know you got to meet another forum friend. Steve is one of the good ones. I'm with you on the SWA to SXM route. While they will get you to SJU, I can't justify Tradewinds every trip. Thanks for sharing your review, y'all!

Nice report! We had a similar experience for our last day lunch (not at GdS) but we ended up walking out and compensating by spending lots of euros elsewhere to make it all better :) Glad you got to meet Steve T. He is a great guy!

Great report, sorry we didn't connect this year. Glad to hear you're rebooked already.

RE Grain de Sel- we also usually love it but didn't get to enjoy it this year. We came off the beach at Saline in what we thought was plenty of time for lunch (also according to their posted hours) but they wouldn't seat us. The waitress said they were closed and wasn't very nice about it either :confused: I can't remember where we ended up, but we look at it as their loss :)