A New Musical Featuring the Songs of Jimmy Buffett is Currently in Development

JEK

Senior Insider
[h=1]A New Musical Featuring the Songs of Jimmy Buffett is Currently in Development[/h] DECEMBER 17, 2015 JIMMY BUFFETT
New York – Producers Frank Marshall, Mindy Rich, Anita Waxman, and Beth Williams announced today that they are developing a new musical featuring the music and lifestyle of legendary singer-songwriter Jimmy Buffett, with an original story by co-book writers Greg Garcia and Mike O’Malley. Tony Award® nominee Christopher Ashley will direct. A world premiere production is expected to be announced for 2017.
“The idea of turning Margaritaville into a musical has been percolating for quite a while, but finding the right people to tell the right kind of story to go with the right songs from my catalogue took some time,” Mr. Buffett explained. “Now we have found our crew and I am happy to sail with them to Margaritaville. It’s going to be a fun voyage.”
“As lifelong Buffett fans Mike and I jumped at the opportunity to work together on this project,” Mr. Garcia said. “Buffett’s music means so much to so many people. It’s a lifestyle. A way of looking at the world. We hope to tap into what Jimmy has created and help bring that fun to the stage.”
“Working on this project is like being invited to the best party ever,” said Mr. Ashley. “Not only is his song catalogue a treasure trove, but we also have his unique spirit to draw upon for inspiration.”

Having grown up with his music always playing in the background in FL, I'm looking forward to this. Looking forward to his NYE concert at the Barclays too.

I just meant he created the sign.....and the fact Buffett allowed the use of the name.......a small but fun part if it is included in the production. I don't expect it to be factually correct, at least I hope not, after all it isn't a history lesson.

it came from a very rough crossing in the BVIs and when they finally hit land the food seemed divine under the circumstances.....

A good thread on the subject that contains this quote from JB

Screen Shot 2015-12-19 at 12.54.57 PM.jpg

Buffett himself tells different stories.

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]"The myth of the cheeseburger in paradise goes back to a long trip on my first boat, the Euphoria. We had run into some very rough weather crossing the Mona Passage between Hispaniola and Puerto Rico and broke our bow sprit. The ice in our box had melted, and we were doing the canned-food-and-peanut-butter diet. The vision of a piping hot cheeseburger kept popping into my mind. We limped up the Sir Francis Drake Channel and into Roadtown on the island of Tortola, where a brand-new marina and bar sat on the end of the dock, like a mirage. We secured the boat, kissed the ground, and headed for the restaurant. To our amazement, we were offered a menu that featured an American cheeseburger and pina coladas. Now these were the the days when supplies in that part of the world were rather scarce-when horsemeat was more plentiful than ground beef in the tiny stores of the Third World. Anyway, we gave particular instructions to the waiter on how we wanted them cooked and what we wanted on them-to which little attention was paid. It didn't matter. The overdone burgers on the burned, toasted buns tasted like manna from heaven, for they were the realization of my fantasy burgers on the trip. That's the true story. I've heard other people and places claim that I stopped or cooked in their restaurants, but this is the way it happened." [/FONT]

My kids feel the same way too. I like them better when he is singing them drunk in Baz.

His goofy stupid pop songs are absolutely all the same......but if you listen to the deeper cuts...the more introspective songs.... that is where his song writing skills actually shine......many of his his songs reflect a culture and life style, much connected to people who work or live on boats and around the sea ..... one can either relate to - or not......no big deal either way ...listen...or don't listen