Coral Restoration Project

JEK

Senior Insider
Screen Shot 2015-12-08 at 6.12.58 AM.jpg

that is fascinating - and wonderful. Cannot read all of it, but what I do understand sounds like a great idea.

[h=5]Coral Restoration St Barth[/h]1 hr ·

Dr. Diego Lirman, restoration expert from U of Miami, visited Didier Laplace in St. Barth's just after me, so glad they made the connection!
Diego's (along with Austin Bowden-Kerby) had some of the few publications on Caribbean coral restoration I found in 2002, when I first got the 'crazy' idea. He has been informally advising us since 2012, and officially since last year as part of our team for the IDB's Coral Reef Restoration Project. He and Austin also work together in the DR.
We have every hope of making the effort a truly regional one in the near future, since corals know no political boundaries.
Fragments of hope
https://www.facebook.com/Fragments-of-Hope-coral-nurseries…/

There was an article about this in one of the on-island magazines that I skimmed.

We are by far NOT experts, but both agreed that the coral in Colombier looks much improved from our last snorkel there about 2 years ago. Conditions were good and we saw lots of fish and new coral. Hopefully it will continue to improve.

I think its wonderful what they are doing but we cant lose sight of the fact that warming seas are killing coral at an alarming rate and thats something all the restoration in the world cant rectify...but of course, hoping for the best outcome

And the last is SO important-do NOT leave trash in the ocean!
Apparently ocean temperatures run in hundred year cycles,so I'm sure they've been both higher and lower than current temperatures. The article says there is an indigenous worm that is creating major degradations of the local coral formations. Runoff probably a factor. Anchors Etc.

Impressive. Wonder what the life expectancy of the growth matrix is in salt water? Looks like garden varity rebar.
And i hope somebody grabs those zip ties when transplant time comes...

I like it. Nice initiative.