Mellow Season

cec1

Senior Insider
. . . that’s what I would call it. Just before “holiday season” begins . . . a period when “low season” rates still are in place. Colorful and growing social activity . . . restaurants & shops have re-opened after the annual holiday hiatus. Proprietors and staff are refreshed, smiling, and eager . . . temperatures are pleasant, and the rain mostly falls at night! A winning combination.

My visit is a brief one . . . only to Thursday. How can anyone, however, forego an opportunity for even a brief time on our favorite island?

My arrival, nonetheless, was out of sync for my usual travel patterns. That is, I arrived on a Sunday – late afternoon, which I never recall doing (in 38 years!). I was surprised, thus, to find Marche U closed . . . Jojo’s closed . . . and an unfamiliar calm as I drove from the airport to Marigot Bay.

The tranquility, by the way, was in contrast to my flight from SJU to SBH . . . which was quite a bumpy ride, almost entirely engulfed in grey clouds. For anyone old enough to remember Rod Serling, it was 60 minutes from “The Twilight Zone.” Finally, at 4:55, I said to myself . . . “well, it’s time to see SBH.” Sure enough, the winged chariot securing my safety dipped below the clouds – Gustavia only a fleeting scene as we seized the runway, using every inch of it to the end (with a gratifying sense of the pilots being in total control!). An innervating experience.

The Villa yielded a sufficient quantity of vodka to provide a welcoming drink . . . and a dip in the pool told me that I was “home!” Then . . . on to Santa Fe for dinner with close island friends. Expecting that I would have its famous “Dover Sole,” I – instead – succumbed to Manu’s recommendation of fresh local Yellowtail Tuna. With mashed potatoes and a wonderful puree’d tomato sauce (“gilding the lilly,” we added frites on the side), I didn’t think again about my longing for Dover Sole.

. . . until tonight. It was a special item for dinner at Maya’s, so I went with my instinct. A great choice! The evening was beautiful, with a couple of large, attractive (some, by contrast, are gross in size & proportions) cruise ships beautifully illuminated at the entrance to the harbor. The small, dimly lit “tenders” ferrying passengers back to their mother ships were images of romance . . . reminding me of summers past when I used to watch (and sometimes ride) “water taxis” carrying happy partygoers from town to town along the bay at Fire Island.

Both restaurants were “packed” . . . testimony to my earlier comment on the bustling activity that has become associated with this “shoulder season.”
Breakfast saw me at one of my favorite spots – Le Jardin, next to Marche U. Always fluffy scrambled eggs, with a great pot of hot tea.

La Gloriette was a full house for lunch (fortunately, unlike Bart’s rainy visit on Sunday . . . it was a gloriously sunny afternoon). Returning to the Villa . . . there were some phone calls, emails to answer, and sufficient time for a nap. Such a luxury is rarely known away from SBH.

Today’s pleasure only was diminished by a falling tree . . . a beautiful, old Flamboyant tree at our parking area fell during the night – a casualty of the rain-soaked ground (“arboreal suicide,” as noted by a neighbor). Taking down (but not breaking) an electric power cable . . . and blocking most of the road . . . it got early morning attention from our gardener and his team of chainsaw wielding helpers. Now . . . on the BRIGHT side (pun intended), we have a new vista of Mt. Vitet that has been concealed for many years. A silver lining.

On my way home last night, by the way, I stopped at Tamarin for an after dinner beverage with owner Paco (his wife, Julie, was at home with their young son). The place was busy . . . though not frenetic. Patrons lingered late into the evening, soaking-up good company and the beauty of the restaurant’s exquisite landscaping and nighttime illumination. All the testimonials offered about the restaurant are well deserved.

Tomorrow: I'm thinking breakfast at O'Corail (also great eggs!). Meetings . . . lunch at my “office” . . . an afternoon nap (maybe a chance to crack-open a recent gift, a book about the personal relationship between FDR & Churchill) . . . an early evening business meeting . . . then dinner. Not sure where . . . right now, I’m thinking Eddy’s.

The Mellow Season . . . it certainly is proving to be an appropriate description for my visit. I wish more of you were here to “play!”

dennis, your writing is like reading poetry. you definitely capture the true feeling of being in st. barths. a place like no other, sorry that your visit is a short one, hope to see you soon..

Your reports are like lovely poems. If I were queen then I would dub thee the BARD OF ST BARTHS.

So fun to read such an inspiring report (as if anyone needed inspiration!). Enjoy your short visit - hope to see
you in February.

Dennis---you have provided a perfect word picture of "mellow". Hope the rest of your visit is equally serene.

"mellow" great description for the first two weeks in December.....we have been on the island and it really takes on a different flavor.
Hope we get to see you in February.

May I add our thanks for your evocative description of what it is like to be on island now. Those of us who aren't going to be there for a while (and unfortunately that includes us) need the tonic of beautiful reports like yours! Well done!

Beautiful writing.....sorry about the bumpy flight, but happy to hear about the smooth landing, and all that ensued:)