Syracuse love - Dinosaur Bar-B-Que

KaraBrooks

Senior Insider
Ok - I have to give my hometown a little love here. I do not generally consider Syracuse to be the place to go for great food. This past week we visited my parents in Syracuse for Thanksgiving and it was the first time in 19 years that I did not cook the holiday meal (thank you mom - it was great). We managed to hit up the original Dinosaur Bar-B-Que both the day before and day after tday (apparently the day after thanksgiving is one of there busiest days of the year). If you are ever in the area (not sure why you would be) I really do recommend seeking it out. Full report - http://www.pearlsandoysters.com/2015/11/30/dinosaur-bar-b-que-in-the-cuse/

Sounds great...nothing like good BBQ

but oh my I just can't imagine not cooking the Thanksgiving meal!!!!!

I have a few good friends in Cazanovia ..I get out there once in a while ..,maybe I ll check it out

. . . love the recommendation, Kara! Knowing the travel that Wendy & I pursue in Upstate NY & North, we'll be there some day!

My familiarity with Syracuse is on my way to Toronto by car- take Rt 81 and make a left at the Carrier Dome. :)

. . . love the recommendation, Kara! Knowing the travel that Wendy & I pursue in Upstate NY & North, we'll be there some day!
I have a few good friends in Cazanovia ..I get out there once in a while ..,maybe I ll check it out

Definitely give it a try if you are remotely close to Syracuse. It's delicious and a really cool spot.

but oh my I just can't imagine not cooking the Thanksgiving meal!!!!!

I did not mind not hosting (truthfully I did a lot of cooking) -- I was basically the helpful (and only occasionally bossy) sous chef. It was a lot of fun! Turkey was done over an hour early (mom did not really believe me that it was done but this is where the bossy thing came into play and all was well) and a circuit that supplied power to one of the ovens blew (and no one could fix it at the time for some reason) so there was lots of last minute excitement but it was a great meal and day.

Always on the list for the post Christmas family gathering in Skaneateles NY.

Skaneateles is so nice. When we arrived in Syracuse my dad had cut out an article (if you read my dinosaur review you would be noticing a trend here) that my "boyfriend" was going to be a celebrity bartender at the Krebs on the Wednesday before Thanksgiving. I have had a celebrity "crush" on Thom Filicia since his days on Queer Eye for the Straight Guy. He grew up in Syracuse like me and we graduated high school the same year, he is an awesome interior designer, has a house on Skaneateles Lake and I always thought we should be BFFs :) Of course we went:

View attachment 34900
He was possibly the worst bartender ever. Poor guy seemed totally stressed out. The only time he smiled was when someone asked for a glass of water. Anyway - fun night and it was for charity.

Other highlights in Skaneateles:
--Anyela's Vineyard - we often go tasting on Seneca Lake (some excellent wines are being produced there) but slept through the fact that there is a beautiful vineyard on the lake in Skaneateles. They offer a signature tasting for $5 and a select for $10. Had we done the signature tasting I would not be writing about them because the wines on the list were on the sweet side but the dry wines (both white and red) they are producing are quite good. We loved the Pinot Noir and Shiraz in particular and served both at Thanksgiving.
--Stretch Bread from The Patisserie - this stuff is legend
--Donuts from Skaneateles Bakery - line is always out the door
--Guild's for dinner - great small plates and pizza
--Roast Beef sandwiches at Lake House Pub (never actually eaten one but people love)
--Guppies' Fall in the conservation trust - lovely hike
--Green Lakes State Park - about 30 minutes out of town but a stunning limestone lake with gorgeous hiking trails
--1911 - alcohol made from apples (need I say more)

Thoroughly enjoying your blog, Kara! Not to hijack the thread but was delighted to read a review of Les Climats--we went to their sister restaurant twice during our last visit and hope to try out Les Climats on our next visit.

Thanks Grey! I think hijacking a Syracuse post with a Paris reference is always welcome :) I am going to do a "highlight reel" at some point of our last Paris trip and I can assure you that Les Climats will be on it!

My buddy works at a car dealership two blocks away from this place and loves it the only downside he says is its always packed...He also says besides the great BBQ they have great live music and hot biker chick help..LOL

It's always packed. I would not recommend anything but takeout on a weekend and even on a weekday it will be a long wait unless you can score a seat at the bar. The live music is great (they asked for requests and I suggested Taylor Swift - the bartender thought it was funny - the band did not). The biker chick help is FOR REAL! And it is Syracuse nice to boot. Seriously cool place!