Le Sereno -- new restaurant

No doubt but there is a company out of the DR who supply much of the Caribbean with live and frozen spiny lobster...

I think only your Ma Pa joints will have locally sourced lobsters

My favorite "Ma Pa joint" -- La Gloriette -- gets its lobsters from a fisherman who comes into the boat ramp / small dock at the far end of the old St. Barths Beach / new "Le Barthelemy" hotel. I think they're the real local product.

My favorite "Ma Pa joint" -- La Gloriette -- gets its lobsters from a fisherman who comes into the boat ramp / small dock at the far end of the old St. Barths Beach / new "Le Barthelemy" hotel. I think they're the real local product.

one of many reasons why I love the place and go often

Where is the local fish on the menu?????,.....other than Lobster which can come from anywhere ( and often does ) ... but I ll give them the benefit of the doubt

Screen Shot 2015-11-05 at 8.38.27 AM.jpg

Screen Shot 2015-11-05 at 8.38.35 AM.jpg

Years ago we watched toqued and white-coated sous chefs rolling up their trousers and wading out the pens at the Guanahani!

Years ago we watched toqued and white-coated sous chefs rolling up their trousers and wading out the pens at the Guanahani!

Thats all well and good but if you import them you still have to put them in a pen to keep them alive!!!....given the business levels and subsequent food demands at these big slick sterile restaurants these days, there is little chance of them only using locally sourced bugs....they won't get enough product....they have to import..... The little guys are a different story

New Born was incredible . . . remember the tanks that had salt water brought in by pipe to keep the lobsters fresh? I remember the fisherman/brothers -- David & Franckie, working with lovely SBH-family parents running the place. I think that one of the brothers continues to be a fisherman, & I think the other one became a taxi driver. It was a classic St. Barths family business.

There's still a sign for New Born down on the harbor, on the end of the Lou Lou's Marine building.

New Born was incredible . . . remember the tanks that had salt water brought in by pipe to keep the lobsters fresh? I remember the fisherman/brothers -- David & Franckie, working with lovely SBH-family parents running the place. I think that one of the brothers continues to be a fisherman, & I think the other one became a taxi driver. It was a classic St. Barths family business.

thats the St Barts I fell in love with and kept coming back to......not the homogenized, sterilized, pasteurized and corporate St Barts which sadly gets more deeply rooted

thats the St Barts I fell in love with and kept coming back to......not the homogenized, sterilized, pasteurized and corporate St Barts which sadly gets more deeply rooted

Now, now, we're not supposed to be judgemental. Those are the things some people like on their French vacation.

Now, now, we're not supposed to be judgemental. Those are the things some people like on their French vacation.

no judgement whatsoever...just verbalizing, like everyone else does here, what inspired me to keep coming back...and whats giving me second thoughts lately....thats it thats all....

Strangely the tartare de Sériole (Amberjack) is missing from the English menu.

A little research reveals that two species of Sériole are officially banned on SBH and SXM from sale due to ciguatera. Presumedly, this Amberjack is not local.

Manu tells us he gets them locally from people who go about 2 hours out from the island. Where do the lobsters come from that they sell from time to time at the fish stand near the hill up toward the turn off to Pte. Milou?