Thread: NYC restaurant recommendations?

SBH Member Joined: Apr 2004 Philadelphia Posts: 259

NYC restaurant recommendations?

Headed to MSG to see Billy Joel later this month, staying a few days to take in the pre-holiday "calm" - anyone with any new places to dine? We'll need a pre-concert dinner not too far from the venue, but we're open for the other nights. Staying at the Algonquin, but can Uber anywhere. I haven't done my homework yet, anything new at the museums? Hoping to get to the High Line, weather permitting.
    Thanks!

SBH Insider Joined: Apr 2008 Glen Cove,L. I., NY Posts: 24,920
    Right on 44th-the Bistro Moderne. I think that's the name.
    Remember Yesterday, Dream About Tomorrow, But Live Today.

Senior Insider Joined: Jan 2004 In the ether . . . Posts: 51,667
    My son introduced me to great new place that is getting super reviews - Houseman in Hudson Square.

http://housemanrestaurant.com

Near the High Line is a long-time favorite of ours -- Red Cat.

http://www.theredcat.com
    The Marius 100th Birthday Party -- June 5, 2023

SBH Insider Joined: Nov 2009 Posts: 4,769
    I will second the Red Cat suggestion. A gem.
    If you're the smartest person in the room, you're in the wrong room :)

SBH Insider Joined: Apr 2008 Glen Cove,L. I., NY Posts: 24,920

Re: NYC restaurant recommendations?

Had a wonderful well served lunch at ROBERT on Columbus Circle. Gorgeous room and view.
    Remember Yesterday, Dream About Tomorrow, But Live Today.

SBH Member Joined: Jan 2017 NY Posts: 242

If you know NYC you may already know this place because it is by no means new. One of my favorite restaurants in the City is Becco. It's a casual and very reasonably priced Italian restaurant with regards to food and the "$29 wine bottles". It's not an elegant, expensive, Michelin star wanting eatery, so don't go there if that is what you want. They have an unlimited 3 pasta special every night and the burrata app is probably my favorite appetizer anywhere - if you order one you'll likely get another!!! I go there multiple times per year. You'll probably walk out of there spending about half of what you likely would elsewhere...but also happy.

SBH Insider Joined: Feb 2015 Martinsville, NJ Posts: 1,269

Quote Originally Posted by Jim A View Post
    If you know NYC you may already know this place because it is by no means new. One of my favorite restaurants in the City is Becco. It's a casual and very reasonably priced Italian restaurant with regards to food and the "$29 wine bottles". It's not an elegant, expensive, Michelin star wanting eatery, so don't go there if that is what you want. They have an unlimited 3 pasta special every night and the burrata app is probably my favorite appetizer anywhere - if you order one you'll likely get another!!! I go there multiple times per year. You'll probably walk out of there spending about half of what you likely would elsewhere...but also happy.
    We, too, enjoy Becco. The pasta is amazing and love the relaxed atmosphere. The staff is also very attentive. This is one of Lidia Bastianich’s restaurant, BTW. Le Bernadin is also amazing for a special occasions.