October 3-14 mostly work vacation

stbartslover

Senior Insider

In my case, it was a long time between SB trips since our villa is rented weekly and I enjoy arranging most maintenance details. Caroline and I had last been in March over Bucket Week, usually I'm on island at least once a summer for ongoing villa maintenace but other issues postponed this "mostly work" trip until October.
Fortunately, friends planned to be on the island then and my wife decided to join me---which was even better.

Arrival in St Maarten....transfer gate was closed, but I was still surprised to see the terminal completely full, even though it was a Saturday.
20151003_141405 (800x450) (2).jpg

Flamands down the sidewalk from our villa where we'd often walk mornings, without a single weed.
20151006_081934 (800x450) (2) (800x450).jpg

St Jean, typical afternoons swimming this beautiful plage. New parking areas make this beach SO much easier to visit. Eden Roc (the ant farm) as it's called due to the number of workers this time of year getting ready for the season. The entire island was busling with activity, especially the hotels.
20151007_110237 (800x450).jpg

Eden Roc: every place you could possibly have a worker had one---cleaning, scrubbing, painting...even the palm trees were being power washed!
20151011_082948 (800x450) (800x450).jpg

20151011_082923 (800x450).jpg

View attachment 34132
Isle de France Cheval Blanc: was being completely rebuilt according to a worker, this pic early in the trip. I'm told they opened on time October 15.
Longtime General Manager Christellle has been has been retained.
20151006_075736 (800x450).jpg

Hotel Le Toiny: near the end of the trip we drove out to see the new activity and were told nicely by the general contractors to come back later, since they wanted to "surprise" with the new renovation.

We were invited to "wine hour" by Wendy Carlton at Hotel Normadie, friends joined us (Dennis, I brought wine) and we enjoyed the always warm company of this place.

Other than routine maintenace, the main purpose of this trip was to install a new Dupont Corian kitchen countertop, which is what we have in the bathrooms. The former lower one was Avonite (also solid surface) but it had a small crack that happened in transit that over the years I tried unsuccessfly to have fixed a couple of times, so I decided to have a new one fabricated and shipped from Michigan. No one on St Barts really does this so my friends shop back home provided detailed instructions and all the materials including custom matching glue and resin. I've watched it done but this was a "first rodeo" in my case.
Corian is an excellent product for the Caribbean since it's clean, seamless and less brittle than others, and no mold or stains can adhere to it either. A decorator in Ann Arbor contrasted the color perfectly.
Diana met the crate at the dock & arranged for the 2 heavy pieces to be unpacked in the parking area schlepped up to the villa----not an easy task...
20151010_100227 (2) (428x800).jpg

My good friend and master carpenter Didier made a day available to do the insallation, which can a little tricky, Diana stopped by to help.
20151010_102630 (800x450).jpg

With a morning of very careful preparation, several dry fits, slight trimming and tiny shims, glue and fusing of the two large pieces---seam to the left of the sink (you have a single chance to get this right) invisible!
Everyone on the crew got along, too.
20151010_162141 (800x450).jpg
We celebrated with ice cold Caribs.

Sometimes instead of explaining the US/Euro interface, it's easier to do it yourself...
20151012_120443 (800x450).jpg
New cooktop: my wife it turned out was better than I at completing wiring of the 220V Euro burner igniters. Note the colors of the connections: French use blue to blue and a green/yellow strand the middle one can be brown or black. I decided to replace the gas line as well, from experience, these projects tend to morph.
20151013_090651 (450x800) (450x800).jpg
20151013_091034 (800x450).jpg
Some final paint touchups
20151011_154820 (800x450).jpg
Voila!
20151014_103916 (800x450) (800x450).jpg

20151014_104004 (800x450).jpg

Restaurants:
even though only about 20% or so of the restaurnts (no major hotels) were open we still dined pretty well. Friends/fellow villa neighbors had us over for an outstanding pair of meals as well. We liked Cote Port for lunch and dinner, Le Repaire, Pipri and Les Banniers for dinner and pizza.
Petite Colombe changed hands recently, and the new baker Jessica has made some changes to their excellent fare.
20151012_093244 (450x800).jpg

The excellent chef at LeSprit came out to say hello, which was the most exotic in terms of dining and atmosphere with a 55E special.
20151011_210627 (450x800).jpg

Great to see old friend Thierry at his new place in Lorient....beautiful presentation from one of the nicest guys on the island.
Terry final.jpg

We looked in on Santa Fe and the good natured owner was like the rest of us, doing maintenance.
caroline-worker_15 (400x553).jpg
The closest place to a "scene" was LaPlage on St Jean with a lunch special.
20151011_164911 (800x450).jpg
While waiting for pizza I had a nice chat with Michael of St Barth Commuter where he's the airworthiness manager. He said the transition from the old piston engine BN Islander to Turbo Cessna 208 Carravan aircraft was complete with a fleet now of four. Michael explained their exchange program with Pratt & Whitney for the reliable PT6 engine happened halfway through it's life with a new powerplant which was important because they SBC flies single engine.
Michael.jpg

We shared that pizza with Diana and DDA with some tasty organic greens from home along with a couple of nice dinners out.

Sunday, we drove over to Grand Cul de Sac---this is what you imagine a beach bar to be.
20151011_133853 (800x450).jpg
Final days there were so many little projects like this I lost track....vac of the dryer vent, changing filters...it goes on.

We extended the trip a couple of days to take care of details but found time the last afternoon for a leisurely lunch on the water at Code Port, then viewing some sale merchandise on the shops. My wife considered, but passed on these shoes as the color was maybe a little "out there" even with jeans. We did pick up a couple of the bags on sale in the background as gifts.
Caroline shoes.jpg

We're back with friends over the winter so hopefully we can see some of ours on St Barts, too!

Jeff, I always enjoy your behind-the-scenes posts of what it is like to own and maintain a villa in Saint Barth. Thanks for the update.

What busy bees! My, you sure got a lot done. I like the new counter top-neutral and spic and span clean. Great that Caroline got to come down with you.

When are you next back?

Nice informative report , as usual Jeff! Where is there more parking for St Jean? Is it that lot next to Kiki Mo?

Linda, when we were there you could not get near ER due to workers.
We parked across from LaPlage and took the walkway along the restaurant that's even lighted.
Good for a calm, romantic evening dip.

Lots of parking was being constructed near KikiMo and across from ER but it looked private.
Those of us who can remember parking along the road and on the sidewalk in St Jean know this as huge improvement.

Very nice Jeff ....looks great ...well done

we re on similar maintenance paths ...we re redoing the kitchen in one of our ski condo units these past two weeks which Kevin had the pleasure of staying in and seeing a half done kitchen he couldn't use...LOL.....and like you we do all our own work.....very satisfying when it's all done and looks great

What a fun report! Thanks -- I think the parking adjacent to Kiki-Mo is for Nikki's valet parking ..... unless they have expanded it since June.

Great to see Jeff and Caroline's excellent adventures as SBH villa owners. Flammands Blue is looking good and so are your smiling faces. I agree on passing on those shoes :tongue:

Where is Choisy's new locations? Can't wait to try it.

choisy is in lorient & gustavia marybeth in the old boca loca location. its very nice and welcoming. I still prefer petite colombe chocolate croissants though.

It was good to see Jeff & Caroline for their work vacation, Caroline even exercised with me a few mornings.

Jeff, you and Caroline look amazing! Glad to see your happy faces and to see that Flamand Blue is looking good, too!

Thank you for posting photos of you with three of my favorite on-island restaurateurs (Thierry, JCD and Manu). This certainly brought a smile to my face.

Hugs to you both!

Marybeth, if you go early to PC and avoid the school kids it's much better.

Diana's daily power-walk is a very good workout, I'm told. Glad Caroline could join her.

The only thing that would have been better would have been for a couples massage at one of the spas....next trip. At least we had the Jacuzzi.