Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Looming soon off Gustavia

SBH Insider Joined: Aug 2005 Annapolis Posts: 4,106

Looming soon off Gustavia

The world's largest sailing yacht. Pretty close to the ugliest as well.

Andrey Igorevich Melnichenko's 'Sailing Yacht A' is an upgrade to the Russian billionaire's current multi-million pound 'Motor Yacht A,' that set him back £190million.
    At 468ft in length, with ship masts nearing 300ft high, the 'mega-yacht,' has eight floors and includes an underwater observation room.
    Superyachtfan.com reports that the boat is powered by a 'hybrid diesel-electric package with controllable pitch propellers,' and is designed to accommodate 20 guests and a crew of 54.
    The yacht was designed by Frenchman Philippe Starck and built by German Naval Yards, Nobiskrug.
    Mr Melnichenko is expected to recover some of the costs by licensing the technology developed for the vessel for commercial applications.

See http://www.dailymail.co.uk/travel/tr...tion-room.html for many pictures.

Have eye bleach handy.

SBH Insider Joined: Dec 2013 Indianapolis, Indiana, U.S.A. Posts: 9,187
    Agree it sure is an eyesore!

SBH Insider Joined: Sep 2003 Fairfield County, Connecticut Posts: 541
    I wouldn't want to be the helicopter pilot to land or take off between those two masts.
    Always planning my next trip.

SBH Insider Joined: Dec 2002 Highlands NJ Posts: 6,808

This Is Officially the World's Largest Superyacht And It Is Massive

We're not gonna need a bigger boat.

TECHSeptember 22, 2015 By Jared Keller
    Facebook
    Twitter
    Pinterest
    Google Plus

This may be the yacht to end all yachts.

Russian billionaire Andrey Igorevich Melnichenko, the coal and fertilizer baron with an estimated personal wealth of $9.2 billion, unveiled a massive superyacht on Monday. Clocking in at 468 feet long and boasting masts near 300 feet high, 'Sailing Yacht A' — named as such to "ensure it is listed first in shipping registers," according to the Daily Mail — is reportedly the largest superyacht on the planet.
    Here's a video of this bad boy in action from radio station NDR 1 Welle Nord:

This thing is an absolute beast, featuring eight stories, an underwater observation room, a helicopter pad, and God knows what other amenities. The Daily Mail's overview of the ship's schematics is particularly fascinating:
    The epic vessel boasts a staggering eight decks and its keel incorporates one of the largest single pieces of curved glass ever made at 193 square feet and weighs a whopping 1.8 tons.

It dwarfs other famous super-yachts like The Maltese Falcon, which is 298 ft and weighs 1,367 tons.

Cruise speed of the ship is 18 mph, with a top speed of 24 mph. The hull is made of steel, with a teak-finish deck.
    The yacht will have a high-tech digital control system operated using a touch sensitive sheet of black glass in the bridge.
    This will allow the crew to raise and lower the sails and even drop the anchor with a brush of their fingers.

Sure, it's a beaut, but you'll never, ever afford a boat like this. Melnichenko shelled out £260 million (or almost $400 million) for this luxurious behemoth, which is set to take its first se trial in Kiel, Germany later this month.
    But that doesn't make it any less impressive: as Benjamin Maltby of global yacht consultancy MatrixLloyd told the Mail,"not since the days of mighty clipper sailing ships such as the Cutty Sark has such a large sailing vessel been built."

Facebook
    Twitter
    Pinterest
    Google Plus

Tags: tech, yachts, Maxim Man, Superyachts

This Keychain Gadget Does Pretty Much Everything
    The last of the famous international playboys

SBH Insider Joined: Jan 2007 Detroit Posts: 13,127
    Spent some time on a Laser out on Lake Michigan chop. Coast Guard helo flew over (maybe they were concerned cuz I was so far out?) I waved. They waved. I felt like a billion dollars. Life is schweet.
    Yeah, Yeah - IMHO

Those mast cranes remind me of something.

SBH Insider Joined: Apr 2008 Glen Cove,L. I., NY Posts: 26,127
    Nice bird shots, Bart.
    Remember Yesterday, Dream About Tomorrow, But Live Today.

SBH Insider Joined: Nov 2009 Alexandria, VA Posts: 5,165
    Thanks, but that was Josh...........!!

Thanks, Bart, but the egret and sandhill crane shots were someone else's.

SBH Insider Joined: Apr 2008 Glen Cove,L. I., NY Posts: 26,127
    Thanks for being here, Bart and Josh.
    Remember Yesterday, Dream About Tomorrow, But Live Today.

SBH Insider Joined: May 2005 Posts: 1,498
    Not impressed (yea I know, a negative comment again but really that thing is so ugly, I can't help it).

Please someone quickly post a beautiful picture of Endeavour asap. I need a fix for talent & beauty.

SBH Insider Joined: Jan 2004 NYC Posts: 17,566
    Quote Originally Posted by goldold25 View Post
    I wouldn't want to be the helicopter pilot to land or take off between those two masts.
    yeah. You'd hit the boom, for one.
    Neutral and Witty.

SBH Insider Joined: Jan 2004 NYC Posts: 17,566
    Quote Originally Posted by islander View Post
    Not impressed (yea I know, a negative comment again but really that thing is so ugly, I can't help it).

Please someone quickly post a beautiful picture of Endeavour asap. I need a fix for talent & beauty.
    Nah. FWIW, I wouldn't %$## on this if it was on fire...
    Neutral and Witty.

SBH Insider Joined: May 2005 Posts: 1,498
    OK, want a positive post? Here you go: http://lesvoilesdesaint-tropez.fr/

This is what I call beauty on the water...

D-4, and counting!

Philippe Starck has jumped the shark.

He could have stopped at M/Y 'A'

Instead he ruined S/Y 'A'
    And did no favor for Andrey

Did they not see the J-class sail
    or know that Endeavor is for sale?

SBH Insider Joined: May 2003 Stinson Lake - New Hampshire & Provincetown - Cape Cod Posts: 51,937
    you want beauty on the water?...power boats...

Name:  viking55_600w_0.jpg
Views: 809
Size:  19.2 KB.

Name:  hinckley.jpg
Views: 720
Size:  16.6 KB
    "When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace" Jimi Hendrix

The Hinckley picnic boat looks good for a powerboat but I like the quiet beauty of sail.

SBH Insider Joined: May 2003 Stinson Lake - New Hampshire & Provincetown - Cape Cod Posts: 51,937
    try dealing with saillboat skippers as a launch boat driver..

"the wind is free..isn't everything else free too?"...LOL
    "When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace" Jimi Hendrix

SBH Insider Joined: May 2003 Saint Barth Posts: 10,437
    I'd take just about any sailboat over a power boat... this one was an eye-catcher at The Bucket

Name:  win win.jpeg
Views: 782
Size:  81.2 KB

Yeah, wide and flat seems to be the racing monohull design these days. Not for quiet contemplation.

SBH Insider Joined: May 2012 NFA Posts: 606
    Quote Originally Posted by JoshA View Post
    The Hinckley picnic boat looks good for a powerboat but I like the quiet beauty of sail.
    In 1910, the Inter-Bay Catboat Association in the Long Island area encouraged boatbuilders to build catboats "free from all freak features" such as the exaggerated overhang of the not-plumb stern and the lines of the Patchogue in your picture... many traditionalists of that time would have regarded the Gilbert Smith inspired design as a corruption of a classic rather than as a beauty...

Catboats are cool - even the geeky ones.

I learned on a cat boat ( and on a beetle cat ) ....they are very cool indeed

Beetle cats are classic. They even look good covered up on a mooring.

My opinion of a pretty sailboat

As one of the few posters on this forum who comes and goes to the island by sailboat, this my opinion of a pretty boat (Callisto, in Gustavia inner harbor).Name:  IMG_0453.jpg
Views: 470
Size:  296.9 KB

SBH Insider Joined: May 2012 NFA Posts: 606
    Callisto, Does the the lone star still fly in Gustavia? Your boat is indeed Καλλίστη - "most beautiful"

Name:  2741282237_43f2f34dfa.jpg
Views: 414
Size:  140.9 KB

Callisto is a beauty. Clipper bow and all that tumblehome aft. Tell us more.

SBH Insider Joined: Dec 2005 CT Posts: 998
    Not in SBH, but our baby.

Name:  image.jpg
Views: 335
Size:  19.9 KB

Name:  image.jpg
Views: 372
Size:  21.9 KB

Moderator Joined: Jun 2003 Vélo, Virginia Posts: 16,799
    I made the photos of your lovely vessel a little larger. I had one that looked very similar, a Bristol 47, that I sailed around the Caribbean and other places for eight years before buying our home on St. Barth.
    The best moderation is the least moderation.

You have a beautiful baby, Deb. Tim, I'm sure you have some photos of your boat to share, n'est-ce pas?