If only VX flew to SXM/SJU

Well, flight attendants can be pretty and competent at the same time (valid both for male and female FA's).

I don't see any sexism, racism, ageism or bigotry in the posts above... we are talking about competence and customer satisfaction in the airline business.

As a now retired 40 yr airline employee I find your remarks very surprising and a bit ridiculous for another airline employee to me making..those 55 to 70 yr old flight attendants have to go through recurrent training each year and prove in front of FAA inspectors that they can perform their duties in case of emergency which includes evacuation of a fully loaded aircraft from the smallest to the largest in the fleet..I worked the in building at AA where all the recurrent training was done for both flight attendants,pilots and my fellow dispatchers and saw daily them performing the above mention duties..as far as young pretty flight attendants..yes Virgin and Jet Blue have many that fit the category but then they are still relatively new carriers in the big scheme of things..not so much Southwest any longer as their employee base is aging just as Southwest is.. Are you suggesting that once those younger attendants be forced to retire or be fired as they get older??Shortly before I retired from AA they had begun hiring new flight attendants again for the first time in years and yes..some were young and pretty and others were in their 50's and still beautiful women and good looking men..Unless of course you also have an issue with male flight attendants..bottom line is as long as they are capable of doing the job why shouldn't they continue to do the job they love...the days of flight attendants not being able to work past age 35 or having to resign when they got married was ushered out in the 70's...Just my observation here and you are certainly entitled to your opinion but I for one don't agree with it...

Whatever... I'm such a nostalgic!

Whatever!!! LOL!!! Great reply...by the way..whatever happened to good old Pan Am,Eastern,Braniff International and all those beautiful young flight attendants...many of them are still flying for AA,UA,DL and yes even Southwest!!!!...Have a good evening Islander!!

I would rather have an older FA with experience in an emergency situation than some inexperienced hottie who might make some awful decisions in regard to my personal safety in an emergency .....

so I am assuming those who want young and pretty FAs would also want older captains and co captains out in favor of a younger crew as well????.....or does a double standard exist?

my parents both worked for TWA when sexism ruled the airline industry and they met while working there ....when my father married my mother, TWA told my mother she had to quit, as married people couldn't both work for the airline .....and she had the better job at the time !!!

thankfully those days are gone

I would rather have an older FA with experience in an emergency situation than some hottie who might make some awful decisions in regard to my personal safety in an emergency .....

so what "ism" is that, for you on the Left who are into "isms" ? i.e. if a hottie stewardess is assumed to be stupid or incompetent? hottieism?
give it a rest.

so what "ism" is that, for you on the Left who are into "isms" ? i.e. if a hottie stewardess is assumed to be stupid or incompetent? hottieism?
give it a rest.

Learn to read and comprehend what you read .....I said MIGHt make an awful decision, not will make a bad decision , and that remark was based on relative inexperience as a FA, not a nice ass..,that's why I said EXPERIENCED older FA

Whatever!!! LOL!!! Great reply...by the way..whatever happened to good old Pan Am,Eastern,Braniff International and all those beautiful young flight attendants...many of them are still flying for AA,UA,DL and yes even Southwest!!!!...Have a good evening Islander!!

Debo, you don't realize what's being discussed here.... You're talking about the right to work, where I talk about competence and customer satisfaction. Not the same topic at all. There are hundreds of jobs available on the ground for flight attendants who'd like to stop flying (and many do). They usually convert to office duties or training.

Any international traveler who regularly flies abroad will compare service, quality of aircraft and general customer experience. Competition is everywhere. Asian airlines, some European airlines, Middle East airlines are competing with old US airlines such as AA, UA and DL. They invest in modern aircraft, and provide better customer experience in general. But of course, the only way to know is to try. Have you tried Singapore Airlines, Emirates, Thai Airways, Air China, Virgin Atlantic, ...?

This topic started with VX for a reason. This airline brings some fresh air in the US airline industry. Part of their success is in the modern fleet their provide, but is also about the general passenger experience. I believe that flights attendants should be rather young and pleasant. Exactly as in any other service industry.

From the HuffingtonPuffingtonPost

cording to a survey of 1,000 people by the Business Travel and Meetings Show (BTMS), Virgin Atlantic has the most attractive flight attendants with 53 percent of those surveyed picking Virgin's "red hotties."
Businesstraveler.com reported the survey results and noted Singapore Airlines' "cabin crew received 18 percent of votes for the top spot, while 12 percent gave Etihad's the thumbs up. Emirates' staff came in fourth with 11 per cent, followed by Aer Lingus with six per cent."
While 1,000 people isn't the largest survey pool, the whopping 53 percent of the tally going to Virgin's "red hotties" does say something about the qualifications Sir Richard Branson values when hiring staff.
SIR-RICHARD-BRANSON.jpg

Nobody's really complaining.The survey results also fit in with the image Virgin Atlantic is trying to portray. Sleek, sexy, exciting. Some might claim Virgin Atlantic is objectifying their flight attendants, but after watching the following video, do you think they care?

give it a rest.
Hank,
You can't possibly believe that racism, anti-semitism, sexism are only the words of one leaning? I don't think the Holy Father would agree with that interpretation. When any group of people are vilified by their unique human condition, how could anyone condone that behavior.

John, this thread presents a good example of the different interpretations that persons of different ideologies place on everyday life situations. One sees sexism while the other sees attractive flight attendants.
The Holy Father and I are in complete agreement regarding the human individual and his or her God-given right to be treated with dignity from natural conception to natural death.