Peite cul-de-sac and Princess X

dgberczik

SBH Member
Hey SBH peeps,

We're planning our next visit, and we have a few inquiries. We've never stayed on/near Petite Cul-de-Sac and we wonder what the area is like. Also, we're looking at Villa Princess X, which seems quite beautiful. Does anyone have any advice?

Thanks,

Daniel

petite cul de sac is a very nice area. I think you would like it. you should also look at the villa la recompense before you decide, the villa has a nice view with a great pool and decorated beautifully. the owner is on vrbo, you could negotiate the price.

We have stayed in PCdS more than a few times. A very quiet area that has a local feel -- especially on weekends when lots of families visit. The only downside is the distance into Gustavia -- not far, but at the wrong time of day can be long.

the owner is on vrbo, you could negotiate the price.

but, Diana:

Q: Who do I contact in the event I have a problem at thevilla?
Every villa offered by WIMCO has a local housekeeper, villa manager, or local villa management company who is accessible round the clock to respond to any problem you might have at your villa. You will be supplied with their contact information, along with other important local phone numbers.

Q: What services does WIMCO provide otherthan booking the villa?
Your wish is our command! Routinely, WIMCO provides for such services as:

Travel Arrangements

• Airline Reservations
  • Charter Flight Reservations
  • Inter-island Travel via plane, ferry, private charter boat, helicopter
  • Car Rentals
  • Airport Transfers via Limo, Van, Private Car or Cab

In-villa Services
  • Cooks - for every meal, or just a few
  • Prepared Meals delivered to your villa
  • Fully Catered & Staffed Gourmet Meals or Events
  • Pre-arrival Grocery Shopping
  • Massage & Spa services
  • Personal Yoga Instructors or Personal Trainers
  • Work out equipment rentals
  • Office equipment rentals
  • Babysitting
  • Additional Maid Service or villa staffing

Destination Concierge Services

• Tennis Lessons / Court Time
  • Tee Times / Golf Excursions
  • Scuba Diving & Snorkeling
  • Yacht Charters / Sailing Charters
  • Horseback Riding
  • Art & Historic Tours
  • Trekking Tours
  • Vineyard Tours and Wine Tasting
  • Cooking Lessons & Demonstrations

Cass . . . I cannot speak for Villa La Recompense (though I believe it also to be true for the owners there), but I would say that many villa owners who rent directly to visitors are able to offer the same services that you describe that are offered by WIMCO. In our personal situation, for example, all of the described services are offered to our villa guests . . . that is, while we have our own local "villa manager" and "housekeeper," the arrangements that we also have with rental agencies such as WIMCO and Sibarth assure that guests have available to them every service you've identified . . . and many more. I actually think that the combination of local, owner-employed personnel -- working in conjunction with one or two esteemed local agencies -- is the best combination that one can get outside of a luxe hotel property.

I can also suggest Villa La Recompense, we have stayed there many times. We enjoy being on 'that side' of the island, it's quiet and very beautiful. We are pretty self sufficient but we have always been able to reach the housekeeper if we needed assistance and in an emergency the owners.

Hello Daniel. PCDS is a very nice quiet area. It's about 20 minutes or so from Gustavia but that's not that big of a deal if you don't mind driving. It can get a little tiring if you travel back and forth several times per day and if you are travelling with someone who doesn't like driving. Regarding Princes X, the villa is gorgeous and is very reasonably priced for the quality and size of the pool. We have never stayed there but we did take a tour. We never rented it as we are all about the view and it really doesn't have a great view as it is right above the beach but that could be a good thing if you aren't obsessed with sweeping views. Princess X is also available directly from the owner on homeaway and vrbo. Have fun with your search and good luck.

but, Diana:

Q: Who do I contact in the event I have a problem at thevilla?
Every villa offered by WIMCO has a local housekeeper, villa manager, or local villa management company who is accessible round the clock to respond to any problem you might have at your villa. You will be supplied with their contact information, along with other important local phone numbers.

Q: What services does WIMCO provide otherthan booking the villa?
Your wish is our command! Routinely, WIMCO provides for such services as:

Travel Arrangements

• Airline Reservations
  • Charter Flight Reservations
  • Inter-island Travel via plane, ferry, private charter boat, helicopter
  • Car Rentals
  • Airport Transfers via Limo, Van, Private Car or Cab

In-villa Services
  • Cooks - for every meal, or just a few
  • Prepared Meals delivered to your villa
  • Fully Catered & Staffed Gourmet Meals or Events
  • Pre-arrival Grocery Shopping
  • Massage & Spa services
  • Personal Yoga Instructors or Personal Trainers
  • Work out equipment rentals
  • Office equipment rentals
  • Babysitting
  • Additional Maid Service or villa staffing

Destination Concierge Services

• Tennis Lessons / Court Time
  • Tee Times / Golf Excursions
  • Scuba Diving & Snorkeling
  • Yacht Charters / Sailing Charters
  • Horseback Riding
  • Art & Historic Tours
  • Trekking Tours
  • Vineyard Tours and Wine Tasting
  • Cooking Lessons & Demonstrations

cass,

if you wish to pay the extra money,by all means get wimco etc. if you want a good negotiation call the owner directly. they can still offer plenty of services on the island which you will pay extra for just as you would at wimco. just because someone calls it a guarantee, its still just a sentence on a box ( a good movie with john candy) lol.

Dennis, I personally am in absolute agreement with you on this topic. Quoting from an earlier thread above, some forum members consider it ill-advised to rent directly from villa owners and question member claims that rental rates thru owners are, in fact, negotiable.
Always enjoy your well-informed, insider input and insight as well as your legendary prose. :)

This may be off topic, because the original question was regarding whether anyone had stayed in a particular villa, but we have only rented directly from owners or VRBO on the island, and even so, each of the owners have always engaged an on island contact and housekeeping (as well as pool maintenance and gardener), and we have never had any issues that weren't immediately resolved.

yes, always have good luck with vrbo. I just stayed in myrtle beach with my large family, we had 6 bedroom 6 & 1/2 baths 4400 square feet, only a 1 minute walk to the beach on a dead end street. you could see the ocean from all three balconies. I got that for 2200 dollars. the original price was 3200 dollars and I negotiated with the owner in may for the august vacation. it worked out for me. we split the rent and the stay for the week was so cheap. we even had a game room with a pool table, air hockey etc.

I echo the sentiments of jayhawkgirl, each of our prior 3-trips to St. Barts was through VRBO with excellent result. Always have been provided contact from Owners for on-island managers and housekeeper. Likewise didier, we stayed in Myrtle Beach ocean front in June at a discount through VRBO. Albeit, was a last minute cancellation we captured. Over the past 10-years have always had good result with VRBO around the world.