Help Please Madison Square Garden Area

Karen

Senior Insider
Ok, so...for an early 25th anniversary gift, I have purchased tickets for the Golovkin vs Lemieux fight in October. Staying on 31st St. Any suggestions for restaurants? Things to do during the day on Saturday? We are taking the train.....groan...dh's choice. Arrive on Friday. Probably need a late lunch before the fight. Want to walk as much as possible, but cabs are an option. I think it is doable to walk from Penn Station to the hotel with small bags?
Thanks for any help or advice. I have an extra ticket to the fight if anyone is interested.
Karen

I would book a hotel in Chelsea -- walkable from Penn station on the High Line or street. Taxis are relatively cheap and easy to find if it isn't raining. For rainy days there is Über.

Thanks! I should have asked for advice BEFORE I booked a non-refundable hotel. We will work it out. All advice is appreciated:)

We have a couple of resto standbys that we go to all the time -- Red Cat and Cookshop.

Hi Karen,

There are two restaurants by April Bloomfield of the Spotted Pig in the Ace Hotel on 29th Street near Broadway, the Breslin and John Dory Oyster Bar. On 9th Ave between 24th and 25 are Co (gourmet pizzas) and Txikito (Basque tapas). Highly recommend any of these for casual food and a cool vibe.

There is also Marta's by Danny Meyers (formerly of Eleven Madison Park) in the Martha Washington Hotel also on 29th b/t Madison and Park. Koreatown is near MSG and there are lots of BBQ places there. Check the Chowhound NYC forum for the current favorite.

I love that area, feels very old school NYC and not touristy, although there are many newer boutique hotels. The flower district is fun to walk through, lots of wholesale florists and other weird little stores.

I know you said walk/cab but there's a subway station at 7th and 28th that will put you on a 1/2/3 train that will take you to midtown/Central Park and all the way up the west side or down to lower Manhattan/Wall Street/World Trade Center (get the 1).

Our 25th is on Tuesday and with new teacher induction next week we are celebrating here in Pittsburgh...would LOVE a trip to NYC. Have fun!

mb

Oh, wow! Thanks for the info. We can take any mode of transportation. Great suggestions!

Happy Anniversary!!!

Happy Anniversary to you as well!

Forgot to second John's suggestions of the Highline and the newly opened Whitney. We loved that museum in its old location and are looking forward to our next NYC visit to see the new building. It right at the end of the Highline so they work well together. There are lots of food stands on the Highline and the Meatpacking District is also fun for walking around....great window shopping.

If the weather is nice, I would jump on the A train from Penn Sta. and take a 15 min. ride to Columbus Circle. Walk about in Central park, visit the Apple Mothership, brunch at Petrossian and wrap it up with a stroll back down 7th to Times Square.

Super info!! Thanks to all

so cool you re going to the Garden to see a fight....classic fight venue ......I grew up going to the Garden with my grandfather who was a fight trainer to see fights....he took me to Ali Frazier which was one of the most amazing sporting events I ever saw live

so cool you re going to the Garden to see a fight....classic fight venue ......I grew up going to the Garden with my grandfather who was a fight trainer to see fights....he took me to Ali Frazier which was one of the most amazing sporting events I ever saw live

That's an awesome story. I've only been to one in Atlantic City. Rick has been to MSG with friends. We are both excited. Wish I could stay longer, but school gets in the way ;)

Enjoy but I think Golovkin is going to drop him fast ...he s a pretty awesome fighter....my grandfather and his buddies drove 8 hours to Maine for the Liston Clay fight which ended in less than a minute .....ouch

And yes....school is looming

Enjoy but I think Golovkin is going to drop him fast ...he s a pretty awesome fighter....my grandfather and his buddies drove 8 hours to Maine for the Liston Clay fight which ended in less than a minute .....ouch

And yes....school is looming

School is a dirty word right now. On to boxing...I think Golovkin will drop him, as well. I really would like to see a Klitchsco ...I'm not sure my spelling is spot on, but they are amazing!