Cruising The British Isles

Jim Kelly-Evans

Senior Insider
Dan and I enjoyed a great tour of the state rooms in Buckingham Palace on Tuesday. Today we boarded the Royal Princess to begin our 12 day cruise around the British Isles. Tomorrow we arrive at our first port of call, St. Peter Port, Guernsey (Channel Islands.) Princess02 002.jpg

I've also done the tour of "Buck House," as The Royals refer to it. A great, self-guided tour -- with very informative aides / guides standing nearby, willingly answering questions. If you have time, another nearby great place to visit is Winston Churchill's "War Rooms," which are under the Treasury Building.

Princess03 001.jpg

Thanks for the comments. We missed the War Rooms this time but we did visit the War Museum on the South Bank and we made a quick stop at the British museum to see a special exhibit of Rothschild antiquities. We're in Guernsey this morning...tendering off to make a visit on our own. The photo is from dinner on board the Royal Princess Thursday evening.

Such dapper gentlemen. VERY happy to see you looking so healthy, Jim. Thanks for taking us along on this journey. I look forward to hearing more.

Wow. Thanks, Jim! Even in the rain this looks postcard-worthy. Hope you have your galoshes and raincoats. :)

Wow....that is just stunning. This is proof that there is life away from St Barth. Shhhh.....don't tell anyone I said that. :cool:

PrincessWales 008.jpg

Yesterday we visited Northern Wales via Liverpool. Dan describes Chirk Castle: "Our first stop was the magnificent Chirk Castle, the country home of the Middleton family. It started as a 12th century Medieval castle and modern actors in chain mail and other armor shot bows from arrows at targets in the courtyard. Inside the large castle there were many styles of decorative art and furniture, from the Medieval period, the 17th century and the more elegant 18th century right down to pre-WW I when the family still lived on site. Walking up the tall tower we saw amazing views of the surrounding countryside." More photos and descriptions are on my blog at http://hardtoport.blogspot.com

Wow....I'm sure being "in the land of my father's family" was moving for you. I'm happy you had that experience and the memories that accompany. Your blog and Dan's photos are a most delightful read, Jim. Thanks, again, for taking us along.

Spectacular Irish Gardens!

At the Powerscourt Estate outside of Dublin...what a beautiful place to visit! More photos and descriptions on the blog.

PowersCourt 004.jpg

PowersCourt 008.jpg

Well, based on these two beautiful photos, the weather couldn't have been more wonderful for your stop in Dublin! I'm off to read the blog!

Great to see you guys traveling again! Your blog is very interesting as well, as great photos! We stayed at the Ritz Carlton Powerscourt a few years ago......loved the village of Enniskerry, the people there were the best!
Enjoy your travels!

Belfast was fascinating with its history of conflict and reconciliation. Neighborhoods are still segregated: "Unionists," and "Nationalists," and the separation wall still stands as per the wishes of the people, but peace prevails. See more photos and Dan's description on the blog at http://hardtoport.blogspot.com

Belfast 012.jpg

Belfast 003.jpg