Gustavia Parking Lot Closed 8/15 - 9/15 - Paid Public Parking coming?

KevinS

Senior Insider
Is public pay parking coming to the main parking lot in Gustavia?

Recently I've run across several references, in Le Journal and elsewhere, to temporary changes in parking in Gustavia. Several have mentioned that the main parking lot in Gustavia, located on Quai de la Republique, will be closed for construction from 8/15 until 9/15. Another reference, which began as a complaint about people parking in the two handicapped spaces in that lot, mentioned that the two spaces would be ""condamnées par les barrières installées pour rendre le stationnement payant prochainement" - condemned for barriers installed for paid parking in the near future. It's unclear if the handicapped spaces will be moved elsewhere, or if they will be reinstated after construction is completed.

Having seen what happened in the past with the "horodateur", the central parking payment station which was installed but never used, I ask it as a question. Is public pay parking coming to the main parking lot in Gustavia? Could be.

I should probably add that there are already four private pay lots in Gustavia. One is the parking garage above and behind Le Carré d'Or, the second is across from L'Isola, and the third is a postage-stamp-sized lot diagonally across from Boulangerie Choisy. The fourth, the newest, is just up the street from L'Entracte. The first three seem to be primarily weekly/monthly spaces, but the one near L'Entracte has been known to offer daily parking, or perhaps hourly parking at a daily rate.

construction has finished in the parking spaces near the ferry, there were 3 machines put in. two in the old handicap spaces and one next to the gazebo in the middle of the parking lot. none of the machines are working as yet, but it cannot be long before they do.

Nothing wrong with making the parking spaces pay spaces then maybe some will not park for long periods of time. We will gladly pay if more spots open up when they are needed.

construction has finished in the parking spaces near the ferry, there were 3 machines put in. two in the old handicap spaces and one next to the gazebo in the middle of the parking lot. none of the machines are working as yet, but it cannot be long before they do.
So odd they took up spaces to put in machine. I laughed when I saw that.

they had to, the first machine is to get a ticket which then opens the barrier arm.... and I assume the second one is to pay... had to be close enough for your arm to reach from the car... sadly a lot more spaces there are also to be lost when they expand the ferry terminal to have a proper waiting room and rest rooms etc.. so eventually it will be a small paid lot...
eventually they will have to build more parking... I know, pave paradise and put up a parking lot... sad!

Are the machines working now? Does one pay with cash, coins or a credit card? If CC, are we going to be dealing with the whole chip and pin issue here too? Will be there in a couple of days so I'm trying to figure out how to pay. Does this mean that little dial thingamabob you had to set your time on for parking is going bye-bye?

Are the machines working now? Does one pay with cash, coins or a credit card? If CC, are we going to be dealing with the whole chip and pin issue here too? Will be there in a couple of days so I'm trying to figure out how to pay. Does this mean that little dial thingamabob you had to set your time on for parking is going bye-bye?

There is still street parking you use the thingamabob for :)

The paid parking will apparently begin at the end of October/beginning of November. According to Le Journal, the first 30 minutes will be free, followed by €0.50/15 minutes, or €2.00/hour. Lost ticket pays €46.

when i was there yesterday all the machines had been removed, not sure if they did that because of hurricane season or another reason.