Turn left at the cow (or Part II)

rodndonna

SBH Insider
So, travel day arrives and we have an awesome Jet Blue flight down from JFK and arrive in SXM about half an hour ahead of schedule. Mom has a flight out of Philly and is scheduled to arrive about 2 hrs later. We are all very nervous about the chances of her making it all the way to Anguilla but she doesn't even have a cell phone so we just have to wing it and pray. We grab our bags and go through customs in about 15 minutes and a 15 minute cab ride later we are at the dock in Marigot waiting for the ferry. A short ferry ride and we are on Anguilla. The plan is to take a cab to our villa and then drive back to pick up my mother with the rental car that is waiting at the villa. We pay attention as we are driving so that we can remember the way back. Well, half an hour and 57 turns later it is fairly obvious that we will not be driving back to pick up Mom. We pay the cab driver to go back and wait for her at the ferry. We all jump in the amazing 100 foot pool and wait. Miraculously, Mom arrives about an hour later, frazzled but ready to shop. We are truly stunned that she made all of her connections and arrived intact. Mom: "Where's the town? Are we close to the shops?" The next day we attempt to venture out with map in hand. As always on vacation, I get in the drivers side of the car and my wife gets in the passenger side. Oops! My wife looks perplexed as she sits in front of the steering wheel. Oh boy! This is going to be an adjustment. Not only do we have to drive on the left side of the road but the steering wheel is on the right side of the car. I continue to get in the wrong side of the car for the next 3 or 4 days. The kids find this hysterically funny. They also find it amusing when I put on the windshield wipers instead of the turn signals to signal other drivers of my intention to turn. The controls are reversed as well. After a while, the locals know I am turning when they see my wipers on. Anyway, we venture out with our map feeling pretty confident that we will find our way. The thing about maps however, is that they require the roads you are travelling to have street signs for the maps to be truly effective. We quickly find out that there are no road signs or directional signs on Anguilla. Well, maybe the name of a road appears once every 5 miles or so but there are basically no signs. Me: "I think we turned left at that cow." Wife: "No. That's a brown cow. We turned left at the black cow next to the goat." Tip: It is not advised to use cows or other farm animals as landmarks as they sometimes move. One thing in our favor. The people of Anguilla are incredibly friendly and we keep from being hopelessly lost by asking folks for help at every turn. So, after three days of wandering aimlessly around the mostly barren landscape of Anguilla, my mother comes to a horribly terrifying realization. There is no shopping on Anguilla. Mom: "Why didn't you tell me there wasn't any shopping here?" Me: I didn't say anything. Now suffering from an extreme case of SSW, Severe Shopping Withdrawal, Mom turns to the only possible cure. "How much would it cost me to change my flights and come to St. Barts with you?" We are all stunned. The woman who swore never to step foot on St. Barts again is paying a boatload more to go there. I happily change her connecting flights and book her flights to St. Barts. Over the next several days, my wife somehow learns her way around the island and doesn't even need a map (or cow) to get anywhere. I, on the other hand, can barely make it out of the driveway to the main access road. I do however, get used to the driving controls and learn to use the turn signal. All is well. Under my wife's guidance, we discover Shoal Bay East which just may be the most amazing beach in the world. We also discover Cap Juluca, which just may be the most romantic hotel in the world, even with 6 people. We are also very happy to be leaving Anguilla and heading for St. Barts. When we land on the most amazing island in the world, for us anyway, I literally kiss the ground. Partly out of joy over surviving the landing and partly out of joy over arriving on St. Barts. We have an amazing, blissfully uneventful week. Mom and our dear friend Valerie (Daughter) shop their brains out. The big one and the little one swim all day and eat enough Nutella crepes to explode. My wife and I enjoy driving the incredibly scenic roads without getting lost. My only issue is that I became used to the reversed controls on Anguilla and am now once again using the wipers to notify others of my turns. Most incredibly, my mother raves about the food and does not complain about the roads at all. In fact, no one complains about anything. Everyone is just thrilled to be there. Even the big one professes her love for St. Barts. Even though we didn't love Anguilla, for me, the trip was definitely worth it. Everyone, even Mom and the big one, are insisting on 2 weeks solely on St. Barts next summer. For now.

What a great denouement to the story! There's a prize for you for your patience . . . but the greatest reward was realized on SBH by your family. Congratulations on the outcome and your humor in sharing these memories!

There's a song in DAMN YANKEES that goes, A MAN DOESN'T KNOW WHAT HE HAS, UNTIL HE LOSES IT. Well your family surely learned to appreciate what they had when here on St Barths. Well done, Rod. And wishing you many more happy trips with happy endings.

Well, I have to say that I have never laughed so much after reading this, first thing in the morning. I totally can relate, as we have had the same experiences with cars, and windshield wipers, on the various islands we have been to also. Your humor in telling the tale of your trip is much appreciated!! I am soon departing on another trip (tomorrow to Europe) and know that we will defnitely encounter crazy every day changes, that
will make us laugh and enjoy ourselves. Life is an adventure.

Good tale Rod- very funny. Good for your Mom getting from Juliana to the ferry and to the villa in Anguilla. That's no small feat under the circumstances.

What a hilarious read. You deserve the award for Son of The Year! How do you not drink more than you do?

Great story Rod, and VERY funny, too. Glad to get the skinny on Anguilla. I will have to see it someday, just for the beaches, but it helps to know that a few days will suffice. While not in league with your mom (or Missy...) I do like to shop a little on vacation.

Hope you are enjoying life back at home. The weather is great at our end of the state.

What a fun 'trip report'! Cannot wait to read Part 2 ......... (OOPS - that was Part 2!)

lots of "oh yes, I remember that" .....

It sometimes pays to experience the grass on the other side of the hill to understand the grass is green enough or greenest where you stand. There are cows on SBH in Pte. Milou but one can not use them as markers where to turn.

Great story Rod, and VERY funny, too. Glad to get the skinny on Anguilla. I will have to see it someday, just for the beaches, but it helps to know that a few days will suffice. While not in league with your mom (or Missy...) I do like to shop a little on vacation.

Hope you are enjoying life back at home. The weather is great at our end of the state.

Oooo....I like this shopper-badass reputation I'm getting. :cool:

Thanks for all the kind words. It's easy to be funny when you hang with funny people and my crew is definitely funny. I just write what happens and as they say, the truth is funny. Thanks guys. Next summer's trip is shaping up for 11 of us so definitely lots of material there.

Thanks for all the kind words. It's easy to be funny when you hang with funny people and my crew is definitely funny. I just write what happens and as they say, the truth is funny. Thanks guys. Next summer's trip is shaping up for 11 of us so definitely lots of material there.

11? You're a brave man:up::)

Really enjoyed your recount of the trip!