Cap'n Mike's Neighborhood

we registered a transient 53 foot sailboat and put him in our heaviest mooring ...told him TO PUT CHAFFING GEAR ON THE MOORING LINE for the storm... Btw that's Flyers wife's boat the 53 footer hit and sunk

Flyers posted a pic and video of the 53' Swan towing on their facebook page...

swpt62815.jpg

...the power boat that made it to land in the pic I posted had an anchor on the bow... a fine recipe for disaster in pitching conditions... that configuration is a pet peeve - I don't entirely blame the owners who may not realize that the way the trusted manufacturer has the boat set up may work fine for a slip but not in harbors with a fetch to build waves... most of us learn by disasters - fortunately more often by seeing or hearing of someone else's than our own...

That's flyers son Noah running the towboat ....the fact remains we told him it was going to be a real bad storm and to chaff up and that it was s bad idea to leave the boat unattended .....he listened to neither piece of advice .....most of these guys know nothing and what makes them dangerous is they think they do....not all but most ....it's an endless battle with some of these idiots ....it's no coincidence the guys who work on the water for a living had no problems that night

That's flyers son Noah running the towboat ....the fact remains we told him it was going to be a real bad storm and to chaff up and that it was s bad idea to leave the boat unattended .....he listened to neither piece of advice .....most of these guys know nothing and what makes them dangerous is they think they do....not all but most ....it's an endless battle with some of these idiots ....it's no coincidence the guys who work on the water for a living had no problems that night
Time to write the book, MikeR...

Sounds like quite a storm, Mike. Why weren't you on your mooring? Did someone else take it?

no Josh my mooring is great in every wind direction but East and we typically don't get Easterlies in summer, so seeing that was the case I simply slid over to a mooring in our marina behind the breakwater to get some protection ....I wanted a slip but we were sold out.....my mooring is my mooring..I own it so no one can take it

what pisses me off is the fool whose 53 foot sailboat crashed into and sunk a locals boat, is back on our moorings with just a few dings and scratches ......and no remorse

I miss Clem and Ursies ....I loved Clem and When I had my little cafe in the west end , Clem was open there and we would go to food buyers shows together

abd your last tongue in cheek comment "these winter storms are brutal".....bang on ...this thing had all the characteristics of a typical cape cod winter easterly....it sucked but yes as bad as it was behind the breakwater I was still better off but I have NEVER SEEN rollers like that behind the breakwater

It was humbling. I've never seen water over the top of the breakwater - looked like no protection at that point. Your boat was riding nicely. Waves were breaking against the inn I was staying in beginning around 3am. It felt like I had a sea story. When things died down a bit around 8 am, I went for a walk and ran into Kate and Kevin who were out exploring. Moments later, there was Martin, with whom I spent the morning shopping. :).