A New Departures Lounge at St Maarten’s Princess Juliana Airport

JEK

Senior Insider
[h=1]A New Departures Lounge at St Maarten’s Princess Juliana Airport [/h]June 14, 2015 | 6:26 pm | Print

Above: the new lounge
By the Caribbean Journal staff
The facelifted departures lounge at St Maarten’s airport is now open, with a grand opening slated for this week.
It is the result of a significant renovation project to the departures area at Princess Juliana International Airport, following the airport’s new retail strategy.
“This is a very important moment for us as we are finally able to launch what began as our new retail strategy aimed at increasing the airport’s non-aeronautical revenues in accordance with the best practices all over the world,” said Regine LaBega, SXM Airport’s managing director.
The renovated lounge is part of SXM Airpot’s Capital Improvement Programme, which sought to give the airport a new “more attractive sense of place,” according to a release.
“We have already been receiving congratulatory messages from passengers that have been using the departure area, with some stating that they were not only impressed but felt proud of their airport becoming a beautiful international gateway,” Share

Yes, that is pretty much what it looked like when we departed in May. I, too, remember the steel bands and the welcome drink...back in the late 70s-early 80s. St. Martin was lovely then...now there is very little of distinction even in the shops. You could be anywhere...there is more food available from what I saw, but did not have time to stop, except for DD's swipe at Veuve to check the price for Kevin.

John,
The teminal in SXM was rather mundane. maybe for the quick transit passengers it may not matter. But for this of us that go to SBH year after year, the sprucing up is a welcome change. Thank you for sharing this.

Yes, that is pretty much what it looked like when we departed in May. I, too, remember the steel bands and the welcome drink...back in the late 70s-early 80s. St. Martin was lovely then...now there is very little of distinction even in the shops. You could be anywhere...there is more food available from what I saw, but did not have time to stop, except for DD's swipe at Veuve to check the price for Kevin.

I made sure Lena understood this past spring to take it all in because she was about to experience something entirely different from her SXM/SBH routine .......instead it was going to be the real Caribbean ....from going down the stairs from the plane and on to the Tarmac when we landed, to the Steel Band welcoming with free rhum....and to everything beyond that week

But for SXM the (American) money has spoken.....they wanted slick soft cushy facilities with all the creature comforts, and they got it.....South Beach in the Caribbean......God forbid some of us leave our comfort zone even for one minute....:nightmare:

loved the old SXM airport and the Gate 10/12 freak show.....LOL