Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Second trip May 22 - June 5

SBH Member Joined: Mar 2014 Houston Posts: 204

Second trip May 22 - June 5

I put together a web page highlighting our trip from a couple of weeks ago. It was composed in Adobe Flash, so iPads might have a problem.

Here's the link - http://www.noldt.com/SBH-2015.html

Amazing how different our second trip felt from the first. Enjoy!

- Peter

I apologize in advance for errors in my French, but I'm still a beginner and Google translate is pretty worthless sometimes.

SBH Insider Joined: Dec 2013 Indianapolis, Indiana, U.S.A. Posts: 7,332
    Thank you for sharing with the Forum your time in paradise.

SBH Insider Joined: Apr 2008 Glen Cove,L. I., NY Posts: 24,589
    Enjoyed your link and your calendar collage was so special.
    Remember Yesterday, Dream About Tomorrow, But Live Today.

SBH Insider Joined: Oct 2002 Philadelphia Posts: 43,354
    Nice website and trip report- liked the photo links.

Andy

SBH Insider Joined: Jul 2008 Posts: 4,799
    Your "page" is so cleverly done! Really an innovative trip report . . . with appreciated commentary. (I always particularly like to read of happy visits to La Langouste -- a great little spot that's a bit off the radar screen for most visitors.)

SBH Insider Joined: Nov 2004 Greenville, SC Posts: 637
    Love the calendar format. You succeeded in what we try to do each time and mostly fail.....lunch out and dinner at home. Our problem is our favorite beach is Colombier and once we hike over there we are inclined to stay put for the day. Well done!

Thanks.

La Langouste was indeed a surprise. If we hadn't been staying on Flamands, we probably wouldn't have visited. The food was great and the service was even better. There was only a single waiter/bartender and he didn't skip a beat even with six tables, including one of obnoxious name-droppers.

Senior Insider Joined: Jan 2004 In the ether . . . Posts: 51,666
    Quote Originally Posted by cec1 View Post
    Your "page" is so cleverly done! Really an innovative trip report . . . with appreciated commentary. (I always particularly like to read of happy visits to La Langouste -- a great little spot that's a bit off the radar screen for most visitors.)
    +1!
    The Marius 100th Birthday Party -- June 5, 2023

SBH Insider Joined: Apr 2003 Saint Louis Posts: 3,458
    Peter&Lynn, what a cleverly done trip report! Enjoyed every bit of it. Yep, you two are hooked!

On our very first trip in 2003, we stayed at Papillon Blanc…lovely spot and has since been updated. You're right about the heat, especially in the afternoon. Loved those sunsets and the view though. Our last trip in February, we stayed right on Flamands Beach too so I get why you enjoyed Do Dragan so much.

Very enjoyable….you "get it" lol. I'm still confused as to what to buy in the store there that even resembles Half&Half for my coffee. We've picked up something different each time and somehow it always works! Does anyone have that one figured out?

Thanks for the report!

SBH Insider Joined: Jun 2009 New York Posts: 2,006
    Loved your description of the trip from SXM to SBH: "the always visceral, ten minute flight." And I could not agree more regarding the French making the best bread and yogurt.

Quote Originally Posted by bto View Post

Very enjoyable….you "get it" lol. I'm still confused as to what to buy in the store there that even resembles Half&Half for my coffee. We've picked up something different each time and somehow it always works! Does anyone have that one figured out?

Thanks for the report!
    Bev- look at this thread- you even participated https://www.sbhonline.com/forums/thr...ghlight=legere

Andy

Oh, gosh, 2009! I do remember the thread now that I've read it….we haven't used CoffeeMate in years. I try to find the right stuff each time, but it seems like there is always something different on the shelf! I'm putting a note on my phone for Le Fleur Crème de Légère…cause I can't ever remember what Mike said! And wasn't there supposed to be a photo of it posted, Mike?

SBH Member Joined: Nov 2014 Chicago Posts: 43
    What an excellent trip report, thanks! It was fun to click through your days, look at your pictures, and awaken the memories of our own trip... wish I had the skill to create a report in that format. That picture of the final sunset is really amazing. Blow that one up and put it on your wall at home to keep you stoked until the next trip!

TheElle & Vire creme Legere in the blue tri pack is what we use. Not the heavy creme, not the sour creme, the Creme Legere de Normandie-12% with blue screw on top and blue checkerboard border.

Andy

Different from the one we use, but close enough.

Quote Originally Posted by amyb View Post
    Different from the one we use, but close enough.
    Yours may be the up-to-date one- that was from 2009 when I brought up the subject. I would go by the fat content.

Andy

Thanks all.

Wife drinks coffee black, but I have to have my cream. The search was crazy. I found the 12% crème, but wanted something a bit lighter. In the Marche, I was trying out my "command" of French and managed to ask "où est le lait?" The reply "à côté de la boucherie". Went back past the meat area, next to the toilet paper was what looked like a bunch baby formula on the shelf. A couple of days later, I'm staring at the spices and behind me I see "Lait UHT 1/2 crème". They don't refrigerate their milk????? I bought one in case, Googled it to make sure, and used it the next morning. Voilà, 1/2 & 1/2!

The positive of the lengthy search, besides learning something new, is we were forced to make frequent trips to La Petite Colombe for my "café au lait" and indulged on the pastries in the process.

If anyone is interested, I did a similar report last year - http://www.noldt.com/SBH-2014.html. Much more documentation, especially of the food. This year we relaxed enough that pictures were almost an afterthought. Next visit, we might forget to take any.

Quote Originally Posted by bto View Post
    On our very first trip in 2003, we stayed at Papillon Blanc…lovely spot and has since been updated.
    I don't know if you caught the picture but a permit was approved (5/4/15) to renovate and expand the Papillon Blanc to three bedrooms. They are basically adding a wing that will fill in the space between villas next to the kitchen. The rendering also makes it look more modern.

Quote Originally Posted by PeterLynn View Post
    Thanks all.

This year we relaxed enough that pictures were almost an afterthought. Next visit, we might forget to take any.
    Haha, that's exactly how it went for me…there's too much eating, drinking and relaxing to do

well done

SBH Member Joined: Jul 2011 Fairfield County, CT Posts: 182
    nicely done! we were there for from 5/21-5/30 - many similar dining experiences though most were a day off. I miss it already, seems like it was so long ago. Time to start planning the next trip.

SBH Insider Joined: Feb 2003 Northern Virginia Posts: 1,494
    One of THE best trip reports! Your clever presentation was greatly enjoyed. Thanks so much.
    Libby

Senior Insider Joined: Jan 2004 In the ether . . . Posts: 51,666
    Quote Originally Posted by PeterLynn View Post
    I put together a web page highlighting our trip from a couple of weeks ago. It was composed in Adobe Flash, so iPads might have a problem.

Here's the link - http://www.noldt.com/SBH-2015.html

Amazing how different our second trip felt from the first. Enjoy!

- Peter

I apologize in advance for errors in my French, but I'm still a beginner and Google translate is pretty worthless sometimes.

Are you sure you don't work for Adobe? :)

https://www.sbhonline.com/forums/thr...l=1#post889779
    The Marius 100th Birthday Party -- June 5, 2023

Moderator Joined: Jun 2003 Vélo, Virginia Posts: 16,822
    What an original presentation, well done!
    The best moderation is the least moderation.

Best report in a long time.

Andy

SBH New Member Joined: May 2012 Seabook, TX Posts: 4
    Mad skills neighbor....I need you to rehab our company's web site.

Thanks again all. It's a lot of fun to reminisce, even though it's only been a little more than a week. The trip reports are a great way keep the fires burning and as a planning tool. On the latter, we likely wouldn't have known about the sunset cruise if I hadn't read about it a couple of months ago.

As far as the graphics go, I teach architectural presentation at the local university and this is a way to keep the skills sharp. I'm just glad I have such a wonderful subject to work with. As a matter of fact, one of our French exchange students I taught a couple of years ago is currently working for his uncle's firm on the island and I made a surprise visit to their office on our way to the airport. Small world indeed.

salty steer. Stay dry the next few days. You're a lot closer to TS Bill than we are.

SBH Insider Joined: Mar 2007 Chester, VA Posts: 1,093
    Love this reporting format! Nicely done.