VANISHING SAIL tonight

elgreaux

Senior Insider
If you are on the island please join us tonight (April 30) for the free, world-premiere screening of the film Vanishing Sail by Alexis Andrews - he also organizes the West Indies Regatta and is a great sailor and nautical photographer by trade.. the film is about traditional boat building in the Caribbean.. we are very proud to have the world premiere as the closing night of the 20th annual St Barth Film Festival. The film is at 8pm with music and food on the dock before and after....

vanishing.sail.poster.jpg

Wish we could attend. Any other way we can view this film from home? It sounds very interesting and I know Jeff and I would both enjoy seeing it.

You are such a force on island, Ellen, and I am sure the event will be a great success! Congratulations in advance!

We've planned our evening around this film. Early dinner at Le Carré, see what's happening on the quay, enjoy the movie, and then either stay on the quay or go back to Le Carré for dessert and live music there.

Congratulations to Ellen, Rosie, Josh and all involved in the 20th Anniversary FF! I'm sorry to have missed it.

Oh, I'm sorry to have missed this...
Hopefully it will play a limited engagement in NYC.

Nice work, Ellen.

It was a fun night under the stars on the quay, with 11 wooden boats moored a few feet away, and their crews in the audience. The movie Vanishing Sail is a documentary on the building of Exodus, the newest and potentially the last of the hand-built Carriacou Sloops. Built by Alwyn Enoe and his sons, the build, uncommissioned and without a buyer, was in part an attempt to hand down the boatbuilding skills to the next generation. I'll leave the synopsis at that, rather than including spoilers.

Sprinkled in is the history of wooden boat building in the Caribbean, interisland trade, racing, and a bit of smuggling. One interesting comment was that a case of Heineken weighed about the same as a ballast stone. You could take stones out, put cases of beer in, and to the eyes of the Customs Cutter you weren't riding any lower in the water.

Kudos to Ellen, Josh, and the rest of the team who have made this event a success. There is a lot of work that needs to be done to make the event a success, and there were a lot of people scurrying around wearing World Premiere Crew t-shirts. I note that there were also two young ladies handing out free popcorn.

I'm pleased to have had a tiny part in supporting both the film Vanishing Sail and this 20th Edition of the St Barth Film Festival. Tonight's Film Festival closing event was not only interesting and fun, but personally rewarding. I know that there are others here who have supported the movie, the festival, or both, but who were unable to be present. If I hear anything on the distribution of the film I'll pass it on.

Ellen's associate, who was the MC for the premiere, noted that as the Film Festival ends, the West Indies Regatta begins. I'll be on the quay tomorrow morning, checking out the boats, including Exodus, and seeing what they have brought in for the Caribbean Market. In the past I've bought t-shirts, crafts, and freshly-opened coconuts. I don't yet know what I'll find this year. I'll also be wondering if any of the boats will be quietly loading up cases of alcohol and cigarettes for their return run, LOL.

Here's a link to a story about sailing on Exodus:
http://www.yachtingworld.com/blogs/elaine-bunting/racing-on-a-carriacou-sloop-1091

Kevin, I could see myself on the quay with you and Kate.

What a nice ending to a major island happening and I am wishing all involved continued success as you catch your breath and start on film festival 21

I wore my newest SBFF shirt yesterday in support :) Well done Ellen , Josh and crew!

Thanks Kevin, JEK, et al...
it was a very exciting evening with a buzz in the air for the world premiere of what turned out to be
an exceptional documentary...

and a new boat is being built for a client in St Barth so when it is finished I am sure we will show the film again
to herald its arrival and addition to the Genesis & Exodus family..

looking forward to seeing them race here tomorrow!

Was there last night also....loved watching the movie on the quay with the boats lined up beside and the moon above.
great evening.

Vanishing Sail will have its US Premiere in Newport, RI at the Rhode Island International Film Festival. The premiere will be on Wednesday, August 5 at 7:30PM in the Jane Pickens Theater.

Put in an application for an outdoor showing on Fire Island next summer. Be a perfect picture for here.

We shall see.