‘American Pie’ and the History of Mysterious Rock Lyrics

JEK

Senior Insider
The Wall Street Journal
Menu

HISTORICALLY SPEAKING
‘American Pie’ and the History of Mysterious Rock Lyrics

From Don McLean and Bruce Springsteen to the Beatles, the hit songs we hum have often not meant what we think

BN-HX235_forema_J_20150415170237.jpg
ENLARGE
Buddy Holly and the Crickets in 1958 PHOTO: MICHAEL OCHS ARCHIVES/GETTY IMAGES

By AMANDA FOREMAN

April 16, 2015 1:02 p.m. ET33 COMMENTS

Earlier this month, one of the greatest mysteries in rock ’n’ roll was finally solved. The unnamed “king” and “jester on the sidelines” in Don McLean’s iconic 1971 song “American Pie” were revealed to be Elvis Presley and Bob Dylan, respectively.
The lyrics of “American Pie” are about “the day the music died”: Feb. 3, 1959, when Buddy Holly,Ritchie Valens and J.P. Richardson (aka “The Big Bopper”) went down in a plane crash in Iowa. Critics have long wanted to know whether the song referred only to the obvious tragedy for music or was also a general cry for a lost era of American innocence.

Mr. McLean himself says that trying to pin down the exact meaning of “American Pie” runs contrary to the song’s spirit. Understanding the lyrics “was not a parlor game,” Mr. McLean wrote in the auction catalog accompanying the recent sale of his original working manuscript at Christies. Nevertheless, he declared that the song was indeed a lament—“an indescribable photograph of America that I tried to capture in words and music.”
The history of “American Pie” highlights a fundamental conundrum in rock music: The intended meaning of lyrics has often turned out to be at odds with the ways they are received.
One of the most famous examples is Bruce Springsteen’s 1984 “Born in the U.S.A.” Written as a protest against militarism, exploitation and the suffering of many Vietnam War veterans, the song’s angry themes were initially drowned out by its catchy chorus and upbeat tempo on electric guitar. Among those who either misheard or misunderstood the lyrics were members of President Ronald Reagan’s 1984 re-election campaign. For a brief moment, “Born in the U.S.A.” became the GOP’s unofficial campaign song, much to the bemusement of rock aficionados. Exasperated, Mr. Springsteen ultimately decided to perform the song with an acoustic guitar so that the lyrics could be more easily heard and understood.

Sometimes, the clues to a song’s true meaning have been obvious only to those who claim to be in the know. Some fans insisted that Little Richard’s innocent-sounding “Tutti Frutti” wasn’t about ice cream but about a certain sex act. Others claimed that the virgin in Madonna’s “Like a Virgin” was actually a man.

Then there are the songs from the 1960s and ’70s that everyone assumes are about drugs—but aren’t. Topping the list is the Beatles’ trippy “Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds,” which is widely seen as a paean to LSD. But John Lennon insisted that the lyrics were simply about a picture that his son Julian painted at school. The late Lou Reed similarly fought a losing battle with people who claimed that his love ballad “Perfect Day” was a celebration of heroin. As for “Puff the Magic Dragon” by Peter, Paul and Mary, the songwriters were outraged that some thought the boy “Jackie Paper” was a reference to reefer paper for smoking marijuana.

Dwarfing these disagreements, however, were the claims by conspiracy theorists that songs such as Queen’s “Another One Bites the Dust” and Led Zeppelin’s “Stairway to Heaven” revealed secret messages when played backward. The controversy encouraged some artists to put such messages in as a deliberate joke. But the fad petered out in the 1990s after the heavy-metal band Judas Priest faced a lawsuit from two families who argued that their sons were driven to commit suicide by subliminal messages in “Better by You, Better than Me.”

The meaning of “American Pie” is now revealed, but that still leaves rock ’n’ roll’s other great mystery. Who was Carly Simon singing about in “You’re So Vain”?

Before the song became a hit single in 1972, Simon told an interviewer that the song was about "men" not a specific "man".[SUP][6][/SUP]
In 1983 she told The Washington Post that it is not about Mick Jagger, who contributed uncredited backing vocals to the song.[SUP][7][/SUP] In a 1993 book Backstage Passes, however, Angela Bowie claimed to be the "wife of a close friend" mentioned in "You're So Vain", and that Jagger, for a time, had been "obsessed" with her. Simon made another comment about the subject's identity as a guest artist on Janet Jackson's 2001 single, "Son of a Gun (I Betcha Think This Song Is About You)", which sampled "You're So Vain". Simon said about the song, "The apricot scarf was worn by Nick (Delbanco). Nothing in the words were referred to Mick."
In a 1989 interview Simon acknowledged that the song is a little bit about Warren Beatty but said the subject of the song is a composite of three men from her L.A. days.[SUP][8][/SUP] In a 2007 interview Beatty said, "Let's be honest. That song was about me."[SUP][9][/SUP] Simon has said that Beatty had called and thanked her for the song.[SUP][7][/SUP]
Over the years Simon has divulged "letter clues" and has claimed that the subject's name contains the letters A, E, and R.[SUP][7][/SUP]
Shortly before the writing of the song, Simon was married to James Taylor; she has said that he was "definitely not" the subject of the song.[SUP][7][/SUP] David Bowie, David Cassidy and Cat Stevens have all been cited by the press as speculative candidates.[SUP][10][/SUP][SUP][11][/SUP][SUP][12][/SUP]

It is a fun game to play after a few brews. Heck, just understanding the lyrics can be a trip. I wish I had a buck for every time someone at a jam session (bar or studio) asked "What's the words in verse (fill in blank,) I can never figure them out." Your version of "Louie, Louie" could get you thrown in jail a couple decades ago."Blinded by the light, shot down like a ..." Many sites have compiled our mishearings, eg. - http://kissthisguy.com/ What was Dylan meaning? What's an "Inna Godda Davida?" Was that rapper rapping what I thought the rapper was rapping. When south of the border, I can't figure out the slang in narcocorridos, but the beat is infectious.

Paul is dead.

Thanks for the Kiss This Guy link Voosh, I stumbled across that site years ago. It's hilarious. Back in the old days it used to ask, as part of the submitter questionnaire, "do you take interesting medication?" I see now they want to know if partying is involved.

Simon wrote the song in 1971, which was before she met David Geffen, when his label Asylum merged with Elektra in 1972. A google search will indicate that she continues to be coy about who is "so vain" (although she vehemently denies its Geffen) and her clues over the years seem to indicate that it is a composite of several men. The letter R clue is in reference to Regis Philbin, given when she was on his show. :)

While the reliability of Rolling Stone is somewhat in question at this present time, here is an article about this topic:

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/n...-that-so-vain-target-is-david-geffen-20100301

Carly Simon's "You're So Vain" hit No. 1 in early 1973, and is still talked about today.

STORY HIGHLIGHTS

• Carly Simon whispers name "David" backward in new version of "You're So Vain"
  • U.K. tabloid maintains "David" is David Geffen; Simon's publicist disputes that
  • Theories have abounded over the years about subject of 1972 hit