Hôtel à Lurin

That rumor has been around for a while. There is a large tract of land up there that probable could handle a project like that, but I think it's a bad location for a hotel. No beach, and the road up there from Saline would be very stressed by the increased traffic.

We shall see.

Phil

My source says that the landowners are seeking permits for such a hotel. I agree with Phil that it's a lousy location.

Is there a rumor afoot concerning a new 86 room hotel in Lurin?

Screen Shot 2015-04-09 at 4.25.51 PM.jpg

A rough translation --

At its meeting of
Thursday, April 2, the board
Executive of the Community
finally granted
building permit for
construction of a hotel,
Lurin. A project focused in particular
by Jean-Marc Gréaux,
which would consist of an institution
86 rooms spread
in bungalows. There is
One year, a first application,
to build a hotel of
much greater capacity had
was denied by the Executive Council.
Elected were particularly
objected while a project
hotel might "generate
heavy traffic
"On the road to Lurin,
already "busy".
Since the petitioner
reformulated its request, reducing
a first capacity
Hotel projected at 94
rooms. There are some
days, the Executive Council it
had opposed a stay of proceedings,
pending the adoption
a new planning map
which will set the rules
building density.
Jean-Marc Gréaux made
an administrative appeal, reducing
yet some rooms
the ability of the proposed hotel.
This led the Board
Executive to accept it. What
Regardless, with 86 rooms
this establishment have the
greater capacity for accommodation
of the island.
As a reminder, construction
another hotel, quarantine
room at Flamands
was authorized in June
last one. While at Grand
Cul-de-Sac, Le Bartholomew,
still being
construction should be well
Finally one day open its
doors. Perhaps as early as the
resumption of the tourist season,
next fall.
With, among others, the
pending question: where will stay
Island hundred
Employees at a minimum (without
count their potential
spouses) called by the
three new sites ...
(JSB of 09/04/15).

Where exactly in Lurin?

My dear late mother in law, who had a house down from the Santa Fe on the road to Gouverneur, thought it was the end of the world when they built Manapany.

Great business for Manu but he seems booked every night in season already. Change and progress are what keeps the world turning I guess but what a shame. The Lurin road is already a tiny one even with the improvements that were made. C'est la vie!

We have just lived up in Lurin for 5 weeks. As a user of the Saliine Road and the Gustavia Road as well, I see the supply chain and the necessary truck load for this project as a major stress and burden for those winding often narrow roads. IIWII.

Mr Chauvin posits some interesting arguments weighing on such a development:

Benoît Chauvin détaille, dans le journal de Saint-Barth du 16 avril 2015, les raisons pour lesquelles la construction d’un hôtel de cette dimension, en l’espèce celui de Lurin, est, selon lui, inadaptée au contexte touristique et géographique local.

Translation?

11150452_10153238838527766_3390834534878323908_n.jpg

substitute the word "hotels" for "cars".

the writer attacks the size of the project (largest ever on the island), the likely consequences of adding 150 vehicles to an already overburdened road system, the exacerbation of an already very difficult lodging situation for service industry staff, the wisdom and likely success, or rather lack thereof, of such a project in so inauspicious a location with no views and difficult access. He goes on to speculate that the project's nominally intended purpose will fail and then the property will morph into something perhaps less appetizing. He charges that the project's target clientele is not the island's desired haut de gammme usual visitor but more of a budget tourist. He also finds it inappropriate that the permit was approved by only three conseil executif votes and without the consultation of the usual committees informed on the various sectors of business and island life.

History shows opposing rational forces rarely win against the incoming tide of politicians who are ok with outside greed and development wanting their piece of the pie ....

and no one has ever managed to get the genie back in the bottle

sad....

but they re making their bed and it's their destiny .....so onward they go....one nail at a time

I, too, question the wisdom of the project, but the politicians and developers in this case are anything but an "incoming tide" and "outside greed" respectively.

I, too, question the wisdom of the project, but the politicians and developers in this case are anything but an "incoming tide" and "outside greed" respectively.

Follow the money.........the quiet money......you ll see ...it's not all homegrown

it takes a lot of conviction and balls to hold true and keep the Wolves at bay.....our resort to our north and south have all the franchised fast food....tall buildings.....and out of control growth.....meanwhile we still have no franchised food...no building over three stories ...no streetlights....no franchised lodging ...we don't even have a gas station.....nada...

and my wife who sits on the mindful planning board to keep us all safe, tells me the inquiries and push from outside money and power to go bigger is relentless ......and it's that way in every resort, St Bart's included I'm sure.....especially since it's gone mainstream........everyone wants to get their beak a little wet