Slingbox

debd

Senior Insider
Someone recently asked something like "what don't you come to St. Barts to do." One of the things we don't come to do is watch TV, but some do like that connection.

Don't know much about this, but one of our island neighbors was able to connect to his home cable box using slingbox. Guess it's a box connected to his cable box.

Thought I'd pass it along in case anyone was interested,

Would you buy the $300 model or go with the one that's half that price?

Can you use the Sling Box to watch sports events on St. Barth televisions that come from your US cable box?

You can watch anything that is on your home TV anywhere in the world with an internet connection.

There are options to do other similar things as well. If you have lots of movies on your PC at home you can run Plex Media Server on that PC and then access it from SBH via Plex or a browser on a PC, iPad, iPhone, etc and stream anything from your home PC to SBH. You can also do this using Air Video HD - you install server software on your home PC and then install the app on your iDevice and stream to that device. Using something like an Apple TV or Chromecast you could then cast that to the TV in your villa/hotel.

If you are interested in sports you can subscribe to the NBA or NHL websites and stream games directly to a PC/tablet/phone in SBH.

Using a DNS spoofing service like Unblockus you could stream Netflix or Amazon Prime to SBH as well. Without the Unblockus service I am guessing that in SBH you would only have access to Netflix France - but they may have content en anglais aussi.

In terms of which model - I think you are fine with the $150 device. The main difference is that the more expensive one has an HDMI input but those are often blocked by DRM. So you have to use the component HD outputs of your cable box. That doesn't really cause a noticeable quality degradation, especially since Slingplayer will be transcoding the video, especially if you have a slow internet connection in SBH. I have a previous generation of the M1 and it works fine.

downlhooooolaoad.jpg

https://hola.org/

I've had great results the past few years with Hola...Pandora, Spotify, etc. Seamless.

Think it's actually a browser extension...works on Chrome, Firefox etc.

I sort of knew it made more sense to start this thread as, "So John, tell me about Slingbox." :up:

Tim, let us know how it goes. Sounds like a neat gadget. We are thinking about moving our dates up a bit next year which may have us on SBH during Superbowl. I remember that there are some nice on island options for that, but it would be nice to have another option as well.

I've held my tongue but I can no longer. Every time I see the title of this thread I get this image in my mind. slingblade.jpg

I know. I KNOW....the title of the thread is Sling"box" and the title of the film depicted is Sling"blade". So, sue me...!