INCOMING NEWBIES ON DELTA

Reed

Senior Insider
I didn't want to do a full CSI on checked bags etc. via SXM. We have folks coming down on Delta Monday from BOS to JFK then SXM. Can they check through to SXM or do they have to collect their luggage and re-check in SXM? Have a briefing call tomorrow am and want to give them the 411. I suspect they will have checked bags but I am not certain. Thanks, KR.

We always check only to SXM and see them to know they made it. As you probably know, the transit desk is very quick and easy to check to SBH. You do have to go thru customs and security that way where as if you check all the way thru, you just go to gate C1 or whatever gate you board at and check in.

Hi Kimberly,

Methinks they'll check their bags to SXM. I would advise them to then go to the SXM Transfer counter and try to check in for the flight to SBH, whether it be on SBC or Winair. Then I would follow the instructions of the respective airline rep at the Transfer counter on how to collect and recheck the bags to SBH. I expect the advice will be to go through Immigration into the baggage area, pick up their checked bags, and recheck them there to SBH. Then they'll have to go upstairs on the elevator, go through Security, and off to the C gates to catch their flight to SBH.

If they're doing all carryon, the procedure is completely different and much simpler.

KR--- they'll be fine! Super easy with checked bags. They'll check them to SXM , claim them there, then hand them off to the carrier to SBH. It takes 5 minutes max, and no more than a few yards of hauling the bags. No big deal. Way easier and faster than most international connections.

I don't think that DL has an interline baggage agreement with either if the inter-island carriers, so the above guidance is spot on.

I don't think that DL has an interline baggage agreement with either if the inter-island carriers, so the above guidance is spot on.

Thanks Kevin,

That was the information I was looking for. I haven't been on Delta for years. Instructions explained to newbies. Thanks all! kr

Thanks Kevin,

That was the information I was looking for. I haven't been on Delta for years. Instructions explained to newbies. Thanks all! kr

Delta and and winair used to have an agreement so that you could check all the way to sbh. Has that changed?

Delta no longer has that fabulous on line agreement, as far as I can tell :culpability:, unless you bought your Winair ticket through Delta. If your ticket was purchased separately, no luck. I am checking to SXM and then doing the Tim thing above. I loved checking straight through to SBH in the good old days.

[h=2]Connecting Flights[/h]Winair would like to inform and advise their clients and passengers of the following policies .These relate specifically to connecting to or from Winair flights and or to with cooperating major carriers (Interline Passenger) or as a Independent air travel passenger (Separate air ticket)Please take note of the following:
Interline Passengers
Passengers that have a through international joint fare E-ticket
(One ticket including the airline connecting to or from Winair) hereafter referred to as Interline Passenger
Interline Passengers having the above documentation can utilize the services of having their baggage checked thru to their final destination with the required minimum connecting time between the 2 airlines.The following airlines are carriers that have an Interline E-ticketing Agreement with Winair
  • US Airways (Code share Partner)
  • Continental Airlines
  • Delta Air Lines
  • Air Caraibes
  • Caribbean Airlines
  • Insel Air
  • Air France
  • Cors Air
  • British Airways
  • Virgin Atlantic Airways
  • Dutch Antilles Express
The following connecting times apply as follows’
Connecting to Winair
US Airways - 60 Minutes
Air France - 60 Minutes
All other Carriers - 90 Minutes

Connecting from Winair to partner carrier
US Airways - 90 Minutes
Air France - 120 Minutes
All other Carriers - 150 Minutes

Independent Air Travel Passenger “Separate Air Ticket Policy”
Passengers that have purchased separate air tickets on Winair and a Separate ticket on a major airliner, do not qualify or are not eligible to having their luggage transferred automatically to their final destination.
Winair clients and passengers should first clear immigration at their connecting point, collect their luggage and proceed to the Winair or other airline counter to be checked in for your next flight.Allow maximum time as this process takes much longer time-wise. Some recommended times are posted below:
To Winair - 150 Minutes
From Winair - 180 Minutes
Winair would like to emphasize that during peak hours from 12PM to 5PM, the airports usually get very congested and the process for clearing immigration and security take longer than usual.Winair advises and informs all Independent air travel passengers traveling on separate tickets that as per our conditions of contract, Winair assumes no liability or responsibility for any misconnections caused due to but not limited to delay’s, air traffic delays Etc.Should customers have any further questions prior to travel, please do contact u

The above from Winair is old news since there is no more USAIR or Continental. When they did have an agreement with USAIR the Winair agents in SBH used to check my bags thru even tho I didn't buy the tickets together. I'm making the assumption they would do the same with the other airlines they have an agreement with.

Yes, I found it curious that they did not update their online info. I guess I'll be stuck picking up bags, but it might make sense to inquire when I get to the SAN airport if they would check it through. Sometimes we are able to hop on an earlier flight, though, so we will probably pick up and trudge through.