It's cold

Voosh

Senior Insider
It was a no-snow year here until we had a big, almost record setting, dump last week. Now it's downright chilly and will stay that way for a while. As some know, I spend a fair amount of time outdoors all year 'round. Nature always surprises me. Rarely see small critters out when it's this cold. It was about 5F (it did go below 0 during the night) when I ran across this furry bugger sitting on a branch this morn. Pulled out a granola bar and tossed some crumbs its way. Guess I made a new friend.

Record Snow - Sqrl 005a.jpg

Back up there, usually for me.

BtJk.jpg

Good thing I'm back here tonight. It's downright warm. :evil:

blmfldWX.jpg

Yes. Yes. We didn't get the record painful snowdumps that some of you eastcoasters got. But, it is chilly here. Time to break out one of Albert's rhums.

This is the mountain of snow down the street at MIT before last night's blizzard. They are using a construction crane to pile the snow.

MIT Snow Mountain.jpg

that's quite impressive.. I hear they are going to dump the snow into the sea to get rid of it.. the Boston snow party?

Negative 12 this morning with a wind chill of negative 45.......school on two hour delay to give the bus companies time to get the busses going....

ski lifts are running today but you would have to be completely out of your mind to want to ski ....but with a sold out resort this week they will be up there giving it the ol college try I'm sure...

better them than me......We ll be in the shops waiting for them

So cold--getting the paper this morning was chilling.

OK-I am counting. "Have to get out of this place"

Don't have think so...dumping snow will put all kinds of nasty chemicals in the ocean...like salt.

Salt isn't the issue.....magnesium chloride and calcium chloride are the issues....that would be a really bad idea but how much you wanna bet they do it anyway? .....Boston is already dumping 350,000 gallons of "treated" sewerage fresh water everyday into Mass Bay ....whats a little snow among friends?

So cold--getting the paper this morning was chilling.

OK-I am counting. "Have to get out of this place"

Yeah im actually looking forward to Southern California in two weeks.......what good is all this great snow if you can't get out and ski it!!!!!......crazy winter for sure

MA communities are usually banned from dumping snow into the sea by the state Department of Environmental Prevention. There are exceptions that are made during emergencies. Some towns are known to have done some sea dumping. Boston, at least at this point, thinks that they may not have to go quite that far. They've borrowed and purchased massive snow melters to help get rid of the snow. Nobody has mentioned just where the melt water goes...

. Nobody has mentioned just where the melt water goes...

at least in that case it percs through the soil and gets filtered before it hits the water table....not a great option but better then direct dumping...

and the mountain just officially shut down as we now have winds over 30MPH......oh for joy!

Town Square on a sold out day this hour is usually alive with people...this is where all the breakfast joints are located...its where Cross Country Skiing stages from..its where the horse drawn sleds stage from....its where our indoor and out door skating takes place.........its the hub....

and this is what it looks like right now.......not a soul...LOL....wow....the outdoor fire pit in the photo cant even be turned on because the wind will blow it out!!!

11011432_10204856330640933_1523312272629018317_n.jpg

Yeah im actually looking forward to Southern California in two weeks.......what good is all this great snow if you can't get out and ski it!!!!!......crazy winter for sure

The folks in Colorado would take all the snow you can send their way.

Stay warm and safe and curl up with good books. Any indoor activity should work to keep your spirits up. Dare I mention Naps?