It's cold

You know its cold when salt water freezes like this

1503355_10203858166034699_1655627378129517193_n.jpg

You sure do....

Mt Washintton this morning was the second coldest place on the planet today at negative 38 ambient with wind gusts to 141 mph

The small cross-Hudson ferries...NY to NJ...are using large tugboats as icebreakers this morning.

I don't think Fire Island Ferries will be up and running again til March. Kind of a PITA if you're renovating this winter...deliveries need to be broken down, loaded on pickups and driven up the beach.

A friend of mine runs a tug crane boat working on the Tappan Zee and they re having a hell of a time

So I am driving to work and the car tells me temp is 2 degrees. TWO! What the heck is TWO? I mean, what is it that made a pair of degrees show up today? And what if one goes astray? What am I then going to do with one? Let's hope they meet other degrees and help bring some warm to Long Island. Enough. I am so missing St Barth!

2 eh???..wow....good for you!!..we re at negative 5 trying to get to zero at the moment......LOL

so see..its all relative.....

lot of people not skiing and shopping instead :D

• Coast Guard tug working overtime to cut through icy water
    [*=left]
    [*=left]In Little Harbor in Woods Hole early Thursday, a crew of seven Coast Guardsmen were starting their day of ice-breaking on the Bollard tugboat.

• COM

[*=center]
    AR-150229896.jpg&MaxW=650
    The Steamship Authority ferry the Island Home is framed in the window of the Coast Guard tug Bollard as it works to keep the channel on Vineyard Sound clear of ice. View an online gallery with more photos: capecodtimes.com/photos Steve Heaslip photos/Cape Cod Times
  • art_prevarr.png
    AR-150229896.jpg&MaxW=60&MaxH=60
    EP-150229896.jpg&MaxW=60&MaxH=60

• [*=left]
    By Mary Ann Bragg
    mbragg@capecodonline.com

Posted Feb. 21, 2015 @ 2:00 am
    Updated at 6:43 AM

WOODS HOLE — In Little Harbor early Thursday, a crew of seven Coast Guardsmen were starting their day of ice-breaking on the Bollard tugboat, on loan since Monday to Station Woods Hole from New Haven, Connecticut.
    The ice next to the dock appeared thin and glistening but not much farther out were wide expanses of “pancake” ice, flat and about 5 inches thick and covered with snow. On the horizon was one ferry, green and red channel markers and snow-covered buoys that sometimes disappeared underwater. In places the water appeared still, and in other places the current was running fast.
    “It’s all drifting ice,” Bollard chief Lance Defoggi said at around 8 a.m. “It’s thick but it’s soft.”
    The 65-foot Bollard is one of six harbor ice-breaking tugs in the Northeast district of the Coast Guard, from Maine to northern New Jersey. The 70-ton tug and a larger buoy tender are breaking ice in the southeastern region of New England this winter.
    The southeastern Coast Guard stations, such as in Woods Hole, typically don’t have ice-breaking vessels assigned to them, given the open seas, tidal range and fast currents that tend to keep the waters clear of ice, according to Matt Stuck, waterways manager for the Coast Guard's Northeast district. The two vessels have been in Lewis Bay, off Hyannis, in harbors off Vineyard Haven and Nantucket, and in Buzzards Bay and New Bedford. Of the two, the Bollard is the best at the ice, and for this winter that is what’s needed.
    The benchmark for ice on the water in New England is the winter of 2004, Coast Guard and local officials said.
    “This is the most severe winter we’ve had since then, in terms of ice area coverage and ice thickness,” Stuck said.​

Yep. It's cold. Last Friday morn I was going to an appointment and my car was reading -16F (not windchill, real cold). One of the folks there had driven in from Ann Arbor and said it was -25 there. I checked the temps online - yep - those numbers were real.

This morning it was -7 when I let that dawg out. This afternoon it was a balmy 15 when I went over to Home Depot. Most of us were just wearing sweatshirts and no coats in this heat wave. It's amazing how our bodies adjust. The transitions (fall/spring) really get me as I get older. But.. then ya just deal with it (with reasonable precautions.)

Some old pics I've posted before that make me smile as I pine for sitting on Guv...

SnowTan.jpg

This one from Petri -

PetriSnow2.jpg

Crazy-Photographer-in-The-Snow.jpg

Your intrepid, snowbound reporter,

nonSBH 006a.jpg

And here in warmer climes...

Voosh-we found the solution and we are so happy to be here. I often say I am the luckiest girl in the world. And each year I find I have less tolerance for cold weather so you are not alone on that.

Keep safe and take care.

Funny, Kevin, and Voosh - thank you for the reprise of those pictures! Comedy is helpful in just about everything.

THE SLURPEE WAVES OF NANTUCKET

February 24, 2015

Dang! Have you ever seen waves get so cold they turn to slurpee? We haven't. So when surfer/photographer/Stay Wild contributor Jonathan Nimerfroh showed us these sweet shots he captured in Nantucket we had to share.
When we asked Jonathan what the fawk this was all about he said, "Just been super cold here. The harbor to the main land is frozen solid. No boats running.But yea, the day after I took these it actually froze up the shoreline for 200 yards out. Solid ice. I was totally tripping when I pulled up to the beach and saw this."

Mike,

Thanks for sharing Johnathan's photos. He is a very talented photog on Nantucket. The pictures all over FB of our frozen harbor and these slurpee waves have been amazing. The area where Kona would usually scallop is frozen over out in Madaket. Crazy stuff. Happy to be witnessing from afar:). KR

Mike,

Thanks for sharing Johnathan's photos. He is a very talented photog on Nantucket. The pictures all over FB of our frozen harbor and these slurpee waves have been amazing. The area where Kona would usually scallop is frozen over out in Madaket. Crazy stuff. Happy to be witnessing from afar:). KR

yeah P Town harbor is frozen as well.....and given the higer then average salinity the waters around the Cape and Nantucket have makes it even more mind blowing to see.......but as you know...before we know it....the days will be longer, the sun will be warmer, the southerly winds will be more frequent and just like that this will be nothing but a memory.....

still though its hard to believe I ll be launching my boat and taking it to PTown in just 8 weeks...given what it looks like today!!!!

[h=2]Local[/h]
[h=1]Ice Caves Taking Shape Along Shoreline Of Lake Michigan[/h] February 19, 2015 7:44 PM

Share on email 33
View Comments
ice-cave-2-credit-leelanau-adventures-fb.jpg
Ice cave in Glen Arbor. (Credit/Leelanau Adventures Facebook)

[h=4]Related Tags:[/h] Eric LaPaugh, Ice Caves, Leelanau Adventures
GLEN ARBOR, Mich. (WWJ/AP) – Ice caves are once again forming along the shoreline of Lake Michigan outside Traverse City.
A video by WPBN-TV shows a number of ice caves that have taken shape near Sleeping Bear Dunes National Lakeshore.
(Credit/Leelanau Adventures FB)

The caves are formed by wind and waves pushing new ice on top of existing ice.
Glen Arbor resident Eric LaPaugh says the caves aren’t quite as big as they were last year. Thirty-foot ice formations were spotted on Leelanau County’s shoreline last winter, attracting many visitors.
“It’s amazing,” he says, “like being in an underground cathedral. The ice and snow glowed from the sunlight which came through.”
For people interested in seeing the caves, LaPaugh says to not to walk on the mound of the cave because it’s hollow, and that they could fall through the ice.
LaPaugh takes precautions: he never goes out alone, stressing the buddy system and telling a third-party where he is going, when he’s going and what time he should be returning.
You can find more photos [here].

Last year we had unreal ice caves. This year is plenty cool. I'm stuck down here and probably won't catch them.

Health stuff is a puddle here. One of our crew is hurtin'. Missed this year. Keep Clint in mind. Thanks.