Smoking and an informal SBH/AXA comparison

To get back to the subject- aren't there laws in St Barts about not smoking in the restaurants? No one is trying to change anything. How about enforcing what's there.

I don't know if people don't come to SBH anymore, but here is the most recent graph from the COM for Gustave III passengers per annum.

Screen Shot 2015-02-11 at 2.25.15 PM.png

Many of you are missing the point. I am not asking for new laws... I'm just asking for the laws to be enforced, or rather, asking why they aren't when the majority of people don't smoke. Re asking someone to stop smoking in a café in Paris... I wouldn't have to. The laws are enforced there. Maybe some of you should stop being so reflexively defensive about this issue. I'm not asking anybody to change the laws, I'm asking for the laws to be enforced as they are in most civilized countries. Why should I be exposed to second hand smoke unnecessarily and have to have my meals fouled by the smell of smoke? And I'm not talking about bars, I'm talking about restaurants.

I once sat in a 3* restaurant in France and watched as a guy (dining solo) puffed on his cigarette, smelled his soup, wafted both the smoke and (assumedly) the scent of the soup towards his face, tasted his soup, then took another puff. And this in a place that was at the time (like 15 years ago, before the ban) charging around $150-$200 per person. What a waste. To each his own, chacun à son goût, but seriously, he was a bit ridiculous but BTW, personal freedom has limits, i.e. please don't interfere with MY enjoyment of MY food that I'm spending good money on.

All of my local friends born on the island (without exception) are bothered by the smoke and have agreed with me that the laws need to be enforced. I've been out to dinner with Rosita, JP, Ellen, Rosemond, Marie-Flore, Arnaud, etc. several times, when one or the other of them has gotten into very heated confrontations with smokers as well as with servers for not enforcing the ban. This is not a tourist vs. local issue. It's a health issue, it's a consideration issue (especially since smokers are in the minority), it's a customer service issue, it's a food enjoyment issue. It's not just my issue, a whole lot of people agree with me, not just the ones who have commented here... I've received emails and had multiple conversations on and off island about this.

p.s. - Eve, I have no idea what the hell your comment means, it makes no sense but whatever. And Bart, where's 2014... as I mentioned, I saw a real decline this year. Not that it has anything to do with smoking or the quality of the food, I just noted a lot less people in the streets and in the restaurants and in the shops, and Anguilla during the very same time period was packed. And Katva, as I recall you smoke so are probably a bit biased on this issue.

Ok, I'm done here, you guys can fight for the last word. Peace out.

Lynn, yes, I do occasionally "partake" when we are on vacation. And very little. As militant as my husband is about anti-smoking --- but only against people he cares about--- he agrees that I should enjoy myself when on vacation. Even he loves an occasional cigar. Lighten up, lady! I'm surprised you would say this---- clearly it's meant to hurt and discredit me. How nice :) When in Rome, and all that. Clearly, you have more friends than I do on SBH ---- good for you!

It's quite obvious you have been implying here that tourism is off because of smoking. That's nonsense!

Lynn, I just found the latest Gustave III passenger count in Le Journal 29 janvier 2015 for year 2014. The island may seem, and may be, less busy, but it's not reflected in the airport traffic.

Screen Shot 2015-02-11 at 6.07.21 PM.png

Wow, lots of wacked out responses to this thread... certainly touched a nerve, but really folks, read the comments before you go off on bizarre assumptions and tangents. I just highlighted one comment in my last response which Katva clearly didn't see... for the umpteenth time, I'm not implying, saying, or asserting that tourism is down because of smoking or food. I just noticed that it was quiet and Anguilla was not. Period. Draw your own conclusions but please don't put words in my mouth and then call them ridiculous. And now I'll leave you guys to battle with your imaginary windmills and beat this dead horse. I've got better things to do.

I'm not implying, saying, or asserting that tourism is down because of smoking or food. I just noticed that it was quiet and Anguilla was not. Period. Draw your own conclusions but please don't put words in my mouth and then call them ridiculous.

Reread your first post.

The implication was SBH = smokers in restaurants = empty restaurants serving bad food

and Anguilla = no smokers in restaurants = packed restaurants serving great food

Anyway, I'd still like to hear about the places that you didn't like.

That's the best you can do?!!??! I was waiting for you to dump a bucket of gasoline on this thing and really get it going! :devilish:

nah...I'm content to be a spectator here....I ve already said my piece anyway ....I have to deal with people who want to "fix" us all the time......as does my wife who sits on the Planning Board for the town and resort...this is familiar territory for us