Smoking and an informal SBH/AXA comparison

lmj

Senior Insider
So we spent a week in SBH this year, very short for us but we wanted to check out Anguilla. We have friends who live there and we decided to branch out to another island for one major reason: the smoking that is allowed in St. Barth restaurants. Over the past several years it has gotten progressively worse, and my sensitivity to smoke is not getting any better. This year we made a concerted effort (thank you for your efforts Ellen!) to pre-arrange for 2 dinners in supposedly non-smoking areas. Ummm... not so much. Hervé at Côté Port and Franck at Le Carré both made an effort to help us but their customers did not oblige. We watched as 3 locals sitting at an adjacent table chain-smoked their way through a dozen skinny cancer sticks each during our dinner at Côté Port, and our "private" area at Le Carré was adjacent to the bar so no surprise there.

I don't know how the rest of you deal with it but I'm really discouraged, dismayed and disgusted by the refusal of the restaurant owners and/or the government to uphold the law. My understanding from our local friends is that if there is a solid roof over your head (despite open walls), then smoking is not allowed. Of course Le Carré is entirely open so it doesn't necessarily apply, but I strongly believe that Franck should institute a non-smoking area for the 70-75% of customers who don't smoke. They can do it in Paris, they can do it in Italy (and although we Italians are noted scofflaws we have not had any issues in our many trips there since the laws changed) and they can do it all over the U.S. Our town of Columbia, MD was one of the first in the country to ban all smoking in restaurants and bars about 20 years ago. Restaurant owners put up a huge fight and insisted that they would lose their restaurants, their livelihoods, and their customers to neighboring towns which still allowed smoking, that the county would lose tax revenues and that the world as we knew it would end. News flash: that never happened. You can't get a last minute reservation even on a weeknight at any restaurant in Columbia right now, every good restaurant is packed every night and they did not lose at all, they GAINED. Because people like me (and like 75% of the civilized world) who don't smoke, formerly avoided bars like the plague. Now it's no longer a health hazard for customers or the wait staff (second hand smoke has been proven to cause cancer and is often more dangerous than inhaling) and business is thriving even in a poor economy.

Our second week in Anguilla was the polar opposite in terms of our enjoyment of restaurants. As in SBH, we dined out for all lunches and dinners. Unlike SBH, the restaurants were packed despite being still a little early in the season. Nobody smoked, and every restaurant we frequented was open air and on the beach, most of them were "toes in the sand". We went to a mix of the well-known restaurants like Straw Hat, Blanchards, Mango's, Jacala, the Viceroy, etc. along with local places like Maderaman (sp?), Sandbar, and the Pumphouse. If people wanted to smoke they were considerate and went outside; also the restaurant owners did not pander to smokers by putting out ashtrays on the tables... in fact several restaurants posted their non-smoking policy on their menus. I'm not sure if there was a direct correlation but the fact is, we enjoyed our dining experiences much more in Anguilla. We were really surprised to find the meals to be of a higher calibre, the food seemed fresher and the presentations more appealing than in SBH. Anguilla was about the same price, maybe even a little more expensive than SBH, but we found every meal to be worth the cost (unlike several of our meals in SBH).

I appreciate all the positive reviews of SBH restaurants and the enthusiasm that we have always shared in the past for the meals that we enjoyed there. I just wanted to point out that restaurants can make money and be successful even if they do not allow smoking, and that the lack of smoke can enhance both the taste of the food and the overall dining experience. So for those chefs and restaurant owners who read this forum (as well as any government officials who have been remiss in enforcing the existing laws)... I'm sorry but we'll be spending less time and money in St. Barth and more time and money exploring other islands which cater to the majority of your customers who are non-smokers.

End of rant.

Enjoyed your rant- sounds like me. As a former smoker- stopped in 1986- and cardiac bypass patient- my tolerance for the smell of smoke is zero. As to smokers in SBH restaurants I make a stink to the owners to make the smokers stop or move us to another table. It seems that the restaurants are allowing more and more smokers.

Completely Agree!
in Ontario,where we live the other half of the year,new Canada - wide figures show that only 15% of the population smokes
It's now illegal in Ontario to smoke- in restaurants, on patios ( open or closed),in hotels,office buildings, in parks,stadiums, or any other public spaces,cars( if you're carrying kids), any vehicle,if it's your " place of work"- pretty much anywhere in public.The next frontier,which is now being legislated,is apartments and condo's.I'm sure private homes will be next( although there may be some " constitutional issues",at first)
Pretty soon ,the only place you'll be able to smoke in Canada is " in your dreams"
It's not enough to drive us from SBH- our roots are too deep here...However,we often wish the island would come into the 21st century!
And at Francks,we always take the same corner table away from the rest( OK,unless it rains!)Not usually a problem
but agreed - why should the 15 % minority dictate to the 85% of the rest of us?

Setting tables with ash trays does not help the NO SMOKING cause. That action invites trouble-IMHO.

The biggest problem is this "open air" definition by the COM. I wonder if this is a cause that the international property owners association would care to advance? Seems they would have the most clout on the issue and other interested parties (the Forum and others) could join in petition.

We're not yet ready to give up on St Barth because of the smoking, but I understand your feelings. Ex-smoker, 1/29/89. Our one and only visit to Le Carre was in its opening year, on a rainy night under the tarps, and we ended up quickly finishing our main dishes and bolted out before dessert. The smoke was terrible. My impression as a once-a-year visitor is that compliance was very good at the beginning, and has slowly slid back to the way things were, at some restaurants at least. I have a vivid memory in the first year of the "ban", being at K'fe Masai seated at one the tables in back, sort of outside. A table next to us were clearly looking for an ashtray at the table, and eventually lit up anyway. Someone from the restaurant came over to talk to them, they put out the cig, and promptly left. We were happy with their departure, but really surprised at both the enforcement, and the reaction of the patrons. Fast-forward several years, and smoking seems to be tolerated in so many locations...

Exactly my point. It has gotten progressively worse over the last 3 or 4 years. We've been coming to the island for about 14 years and have fallen in love with it (as we all have). But this is a serious public health issue, and a personal health issue for me. My father smoked 3 packs a day and died of lung cancer; all 4 of us kids have second hand smoke issues (allergies, chronic bronchitis, etc.) despite having left home 40 years ago. My wonderful mother-in-law smoked her way to a very quick and ugly death at the age of 54; it devastated us, as Paul was an only child and I was the daughter she never had. Anyone who smokes with a child in the area is guilty of child abuse, IMHO, for 3 reasons: you DIRECTLY affect their health with the second hand smoke; you give them the terrible example that smoking is okay; and you usually deprive them of your existence as a parent way too soon.

Back to SBH, Rosita's husband JP had a point: vote with your feet and your dollars. That's exactly what we did by going to Anguilla for a week instead of SBH for our usual 2 weeks. And sadly as much as we love Franck, we won't be back to Le Carré, nor will we be frequenting Côté Port, Bagatelle, BAZ, or a dozen other restaurants that we've enjoyed in the past but have drifted to the dark (and smoky) side.

BTW, Jacala in Anguilla is owned by a French gentleman; when I asked him about smoking he said that if anyone lights up he asks them to move outside to the beach. Getting a reservation there is the biggest challenge on the island, so it can be done without losing business. Fab food if you get over to there, tied for our best meal in our 2 weeks in SBH and Anguilla.

France has recently proposed a programme national de lutte contre le tabagisme, which was described in this NY Times article a few months ago. One interesting facet will be the adoption of les paquets de cigarettes neutres - standardized packaging (same color, size, typography) with health warnings. The brand name must be kept small. Australia has taken the lead in this approach to curbing cigarette use, which is discussed in this Washington Post article. The "battle for control of the cigarette packet" is reviewed in this BBC article.

Agreed, but the current law, whatever the details are, needs to be enforced.

Phil

Paging Ellen! Do you think this is an issue worthy to make the SBIPOA's agenda? I don't disagree with the "voting with your feet", but there seems to be an abundance of diners who will fill the vacancies we might create and getting this on someone's agenda might be worth the effort.

I hate smoking, I think it is a foolish habit and I don't like the smell of it.

However, I find it hard to "raise a stink" at places like Le Carre or Le Repaire while watching (and smelling) 2 stroke engines zoom by all night. :)

Just as an FYI, when I went to the Sorbonne in 1975-76 the French had an aggressive anti-smoking campaign which included (if I recall correctly, it was a lifetime ago) free acupuncture. Over the years on my visits there I have seen absolutely horrifying commercials on French TV depicting the actual results of smoking on your lungs, how hideous the death from lung cancer is, etc. Ummm... it doesn't seem to be doing much good. I don't know if it's an independence thing or a self-destructive thing or a cynical French thing, but I've never seen so many smokers who are attractive, young and appear to be educated, and yet are opting for a slow suicide. Depressing.

The anti-smoking laws in the U.S. have moved the percentage down from around 42% in the 50's and 60's down to about 18-19% today. Worldwide my understanding is that it's about 23-25% of people who smoke. That means that the ratio of non-smoking customers to smoking customers in SBH restaurants is 4 or 5 to 1. As Lloyd said, we are the majority, why are the restaurants catering to the minority?

And JEK, I agree: PAGING ELLEN!!! You are an activist, you have influence, you can make an impact! I know you have a lot on your plate but this has been a conversation thread at every one of our dinners together for the past few years, I know it's important to you and I know you can do this! And Moderators, you guys also have influence. And Dennis, as a hotel and villa owner you also can make a difference. Maybe we can make this a concrete contribution from SBHonline to the island... I'll help in any way I can. I love St. Barth and am sad that I have been forced to find refuge in Anguilla for even a part of our vacation due to this seemingly fixable issue.

And Ricky, that's why I have never eaten at Le Repaire... inhaling fumes with my meal is not appealing to me in the least.

I feel vindicated. Last time I complained about the smoking at Cote Port, and how I will not return, everyone said I was crazy.

I am hoping that the tourists vote with their feet, we need more parking here............lol.
:D

On the serious side, I don't smoke and never have smoked. However, its a french island folks, how much clout do you think an american organization like the home owners association has here?

I have noticed that a lot of the smokers are russian, and the restaurants would not want to lose the russian business either. Things are changing on the island as we speak, but you cannot change everything.

My thoughts are this, unless you actually live here full time, your vote will not mean as much to the gov. here.

Hey, one should look at the positive side instead of the negative, we have a great fish market, you could cook in your villa. we have no fast food places, always a plus.

I am hoping that the tourists vote with their feet, we need more parking here............lol.
:D

On the serious side, I don't smoke and never have smoked. However, its a french island folks, how much clout do you think an american organization like the home owners association

My thoughts are this, unless you actually live here full time, your vote will not mean as much to the gov. heres.

exactly....spoken like someone who lives it and understands how things work in resort towns .....nothing pisses off resort residents more then a bunch of one or two week a year tourists telling them how they should be living and conducting their business.....if I had a dollar for every failed attempt to change resort policies by tourists in my 43 years of living and working in resorts , I would have a lot of dollars.....

the head winds you will encounter is once a place becomes a mainstream resort, which St Barts clearly is, with global marketing efforts, the visitor replenishment and turn over rates become astronomical, and this takes most leverage away from the consumer of goods and services and puts it on the producer of goods and services ......so for everyone who votes with their feet and wallet, noble as it is, there are two more newbies coming in who don't care one way or the other......so it becomes a simple math equation which mostly favors the producer side of the equation ....

and as much as I agree that smoking around food is disgusting .........it's a long shot at best in changing THEIR culture until THEY decide to change it.....and as long as their businesses aren't suffering....they will have no reason to change a thing