Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Smoking and an informal SBH/AXA comparison

SBH Insider Joined: Jul 2007 Ailleurs Posts: 6,348
    Lynn, here's an article from Martha Stewart's blog regarding her "new favorite Caribbean restaurant" Jacala in Anguilla. I have to say it looks very ​nice.
    Owned by two French expatriés.
    http://www.themarthablog.com/2014/01/my-sailing-adventure-in-the-carribbean-blog-1.htmlnice
    Fils du Sud - Ministre de la Santé

If I can't wear my Havaianas, I ain't goin'...ÀMHA

SBH Insider Joined: Mar 2003 Albany, NY Posts: 2,802
    We have been going to ️St Barths for 14 years , usually twice a year, and have been going to Anguilla for 17years, usually every 2-3 years. To Lynn's point, I have to say that over the years I have noticed a great improvement in the restaurants/ food in Anguilla. Sure, they have the food trucks( which have the best BBQ ever) , but with Cusinart having a hydroponic farm, it seemed that started a vegetable wake up . Sometimes on ️St Barths I look at the produce in the markets, and am dissapointed.
    Anyway, off track.....on the smoking issue, I do agree I saw less in Anguilla, but I don't think that the native Anguillans were ever that big into smoking ( cigarettes anyway:) ,last year when we were there, I actually saw a bartender from ️St Barths there at one of the beach restos, he said he was on vacation for a couple days....hmmmmm.....well, saw him smoking , but outside the bar area.
    But I also agree with you guys on the cigar smoke, that's worse to me , and I have an occasional cigar sometimes.....but never near an eating establishment.

I couldn't get that article Cass.....but that was one of the restos I told Lynn to try....loved it last February, and the owner came over to talk, a very nice guy. Delicious meal.
    Life may not be the party we hoped for, but while we're here we should dance !

SBH Insider Joined: Dec 2002 Highlands NJ Posts: 6,822
    Pretentious and clueless Kat...Anguilla is pronounced like vanilla not gweeeeela

Quote Originally Posted by katva View Post
    In 2006, before our first trip to SBH, I was telling someone I knew at the time (extremely pretentious person, whom I am no longer in touch with), that we were headed to SBH for our honeymoon and how excited I was. She looked waaaay down her nose at me and said "well, you should know that NO ONE goes to St. Barts anymore. They ALL go to Anguilla (pronounced an-gweeeeeeee-la). Right then I was overjoyed that we were headed to laid back little SBH
    The last of the famous international playboys

SBH Insider Joined: Jun 2004 DC Metro area Posts: 881
    I agree, Linda, the owner of Jacala was very charming and friendly, spoke to us for about 15-20 minutes after lunch (over lemon rum, yum). He and the chef are partners, they used to run the restaurant at the Malliouhana and now have the hottest resto on the island. Loved it!

And to those of you who thought I was implying that Americans aren't the ones smoking, I never said that. What I said was that it's up to the restaurant owner to curb any smokers, whether they are French, Russian, American or Martian. That's how they handle it in here and in Canada, mainland France, Italy, Spain and every Caribbean island we've visited in the last few years (Aruba, Grand Cayman, Hope Town in the Abacos, Puerto Rico, St. John, St. Thomas, Virgin Gorda, Tortola, etc.). (And when we visit, we are not on a cruise ship, we're spending a week or 2 on an island so we get a good idea of the place.) We have never had a problem with smoking in any of those places since the laws started changing. It is up to the business owners (and if they don't comply, then I guess to the police) to uphold the law, whether it's a local customer or a tourist who is breaking it. Providing ash trays on every table is not my idea of compliance.

And Jeff, many of us on the forum agree that the situation has declined over the last few years, maybe the restaurants you frequent have better compliance. I know Andy's, Santa Fe, Case de l'Isle at IDF and L'Isola are typically non-smoking. Although the beach restaurant at the Guanahani is not under roof, they were very considerate in seating us on the perimeter and separating us from smokers, so we never had an issue. I'd love to hear of other restaurants that maintain a non-smoking environment... I can certainly provide a long list of those that don't.
    "But there's this one particular harbor, so far and yet so near..."

We have been going to St. Bart's religiously for the past 30 years. We still get that same feeling of peace and contentment as we did the first time we were there. Yes the restaurants have changed, yes the island has progressed, but we don't consider it a decline...it is a French island and we respect their ways and mannerisms and are most happy to enjoy their island....
    for those who don't there are other islands out there to explore...
    Steve and Aimee

SBH Insider Joined: Nov 2009 Alexandria, VA Posts: 5,273
    Quote Originally Posted by lmj View Post
    Our favorite restaurants in St. Barth were Tamarin (we always loved that place and we're glad it's back, beautiful setting, lovely service and very good food) and our lunches at the Guanahani (same reasons actually). We had several very mediocre meals which I will not mention, not wanting to cause a riot here or cast aspersions on a good restaurant that had a bad night. .
    I'm surprised you put Guanahani at the top of your list. My wife and I had lunch for the first time in December and it was probably our most unremarkable meal of the trip. The setting and staff were wonderful, but the food seemed very basic and very overpriced. And definitely a meal that we could make at home.

You should name the mediocre meal too! What good is having a restaurant forum if we're too scared to post a bad review?!?

Quote Originally Posted by didier View Post
    On the serious side, I don't smoke and never have smoked. However, its a french island folks, how much clout do you think an american organization like the home owners association has here?

Exactly! You're in France and there are a lot of smokers in France/Europe.

Would you make these demands at a café in Paris? Or would you prefer that some French visitors in the US start petitioning to allow smoking in restaurants, or make beret wearing mandatory, or replace the American flag with the French one?!?!

I feel your pain (lmj) and I hate smelling smoke anywhere, but I hate the idea of a bunch of foreign visitors dictating the laws much worse.

SBH Insider Joined: Oct 2005 flamands Posts: 4,781
    to quote a great president (Kennedy)

Ask not what your island can do for you, ask what you can do for your island.

SBH Insider Joined: Nov 2009 Posts: 4,769
    Our last trip we had a group of friends over for dinner and lots of laughs----one of those laid-back 4-5 hour dinner parties where everyone had fun, the conversation flowed, and the food was great. It was a really good mix of people. A few locals (meaning born on the island), a few French who had lived on the island for 20+ years, a few others who spent the winters there, and a few tourists like us, who were there for just a few weeks. We had a really interesting conversation about the culture of the island, and how different the various groups can be---from the "locals" to the seasonal workers, to the visitors, both long and short term. The people we know who live there full time are very sensitive about visitors and tourists demanding changes to their ways of life. About half the guests smoked, which was totally fine by us. I hate the smell of smoke when eating, but am otherwise completely fine with it if it's outside..... I don't judge-----who am I to judge?
    If you're the smartest person in the room, you're in the wrong room :)

SBH Insider Joined: May 2003 Stinson Lake - New Hampshire & Provincetown - Cape Cod Posts: 52,003
    [QUOTE]The people we know who live there full time are very sensitive about visitors and tourists demanding changes to their ways of life.[QUOTE]

I 've spent so much time in fishermens bars ( where you need a radar to find the bathrooms through the smoke ) that it doesn't bother me in a social setting ......but not around food please.....

we now have our resort and town public hearing meetings at the most inconvenient times and days, so those who don't live here have a difficult time attending .....to minimize the drama ........it was getting ridiculous ......

we don't go to their home towns and try and run their neighborhoods ......so please don't do it to us.....
    "When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace" Jimi Hendrix

SBH Insider Joined: Oct 2002 Philadelphia Posts: 43,825
    To get back to the subject- aren't there laws in St Barts about not smoking in the restaurants? No one is trying to change anything. How about enforcing what's there.

Andy

Senior Insider Joined: Jan 2004 In the ether . . . Posts: 51,717
    I was looking for when the ban was passed and came across this thread from 2008:

https://www.sbhonline.com/forums/thr...l=1#post521908
    The Marius 100th Birthday Party -- June 5, 2023

Quote Originally Posted by Eve View Post
    Brava!
    Cosign Eve and katva! Well said, katva.

SBH Insider Joined: Aug 2004 Pennsylvania Posts: 1,854
    Quote Originally Posted by Eve View Post
    People don't come to SB anymore because the people on their own island smoke?

I agree, that doesn't make much sense.

I don't know if people don't come to SBH anymore, but here is the most recent graph from the COM for Gustave III passengers per annum.

Name:  Screen Shot 2015-02-11 at 2.25.15 PM.png
Views: 266
Size:  105.0 KB

Looks like a chart plotting the Dow. :)

Quote Originally Posted by cassidain View Post
    I don't know if people don't come to SBH anymore, but here is the most recent graph from the COM for Gustave III passengers per annum.

Name:  Screen Shot 2015-02-11 at 2.25.15 PM.png
Views: 266
Size:  105.0 KB

Nobody goes there anymore, it's too crowded.

I'm tempted to make a comment about which party left the White House in 2009....

Many of you are missing the point. I am not asking for new laws... I'm just asking for the laws to be enforced, or rather, asking why they aren't when the majority of people don't smoke. Re asking someone to stop smoking in a café in Paris... I wouldn't have to. The laws are enforced there. Maybe some of you should stop being so reflexively defensive about this issue. I'm not asking anybody to change the laws, I'm asking for the laws to be enforced as they are in most civilized countries. Why should I be exposed to second hand smoke unnecessarily and have to have my meals fouled by the smell of smoke? And I'm not talking about bars, I'm talking about restaurants.

I once sat in a 3* restaurant in France and watched as a guy (dining solo) puffed on his cigarette, smelled his soup, wafted both the smoke and (assumedly) the scent of the soup towards his face, tasted his soup, then took another puff. And this in a place that was at the time (like 15 years ago, before the ban) charging around $150-$200 per person. What a waste. To each his own, chacun à son goût, but seriously, he was a bit ridiculous but BTW, personal freedom has limits, i.e. please don't interfere with MY enjoyment of MY food that I'm spending good money on.

All of my local friends born on the island (without exception) are bothered by the smoke and have agreed with me that the laws need to be enforced. I've been out to dinner with Rosita, JP, Ellen, Rosemond, Marie-Flore, Arnaud, etc. several times, when one or the other of them has gotten into very heated confrontations with smokers as well as with servers for not enforcing the ban. This is not a tourist vs. local issue. It's a health issue, it's a consideration issue (especially since smokers are in the minority), it's a customer service issue, it's a food enjoyment issue. It's not just my issue, a whole lot of people agree with me, not just the ones who have commented here... I've received emails and had multiple conversations on and off island about this.

p.s. - Eve, I have no idea what the hell your comment means, it makes no sense but whatever. And Bart, where's 2014... as I mentioned, I saw a real decline this year. Not that it has anything to do with smoking or the quality of the food, I just noted a lot less people in the streets and in the restaurants and in the shops, and Anguilla during the very same time period was packed. And Katva, as I recall you smoke so are probably a bit biased on this issue.

Ok, I'm done here, you guys can fight for the last word. Peace out.

SBH Insider Joined: Aug 2005 Annapolis Posts: 4,106
    Every time I am downwind of a smoker I have this fantasy of setting off one of these http://www.amazon.com/Rhode-Island-N.../dp/B0017S4BEU upwind of the smoker.

SBH Insider Joined: Nov 2009 Posts: 4,769
    Lynn, yes, I do occasionally "partake" when we are on vacation. And very little. As militant as my husband is about anti-smoking --- but only against people he cares about--- he agrees that I should enjoy myself when on vacation. Even he loves an occasional cigar. Lighten up, lady! I'm surprised you would say this---- clearly it's meant to hurt and discredit me. How nice :-) When in Rome, and all that. Clearly, you have more friends than I do on SBH ---- good for you!

It's quite obvious you have been implying here that tourism is off because of smoking. That's nonsense!
    If you're the smartest person in the room, you're in the wrong room :)

Lynn, I just found the latest Gustave III passenger count in Le Journal 29 janvier 2015 for year 2014. The island may seem, and may be, less busy, but it's not reflected in the airport traffic.

Name:  Screen Shot 2015-02-11 at 6.07.21 PM.png
Views: 229
Size:  196.0 KB

Wow, lots of wacked out responses to this thread... certainly touched a nerve, but really folks, read the comments before you go off on bizarre assumptions and tangents. I just highlighted one comment in my last response which Katva clearly didn't see... for the umpteenth time, I'm not implying, saying, or asserting that tourism is down because of smoking or food. I just noticed that it was quiet and Anguilla was not. Period. Draw your own conclusions but please don't put words in my mouth and then call them ridiculous. And now I'll leave you guys to battle with your imaginary windmills and beat this dead horse. I've got better things to do.

We are not the ones beating the dead horse here.....
    Steve and Aimee

Quote Originally Posted by lmj View Post
    I'm not implying, saying, or asserting that tourism is down because of smoking or food. I just noticed that it was quiet and Anguilla was not. Period. Draw your own conclusions but please don't put words in my mouth and then call them ridiculous.
    Reread your first post.

The implication was SBH = smokers in restaurants = empty restaurants serving bad food

and Anguilla = no smokers in restaurants = packed restaurants serving great food

Anyway, I'd still like to hear about the places that you didn't like.

SBH Insider Joined: May 2003 Stinson Lake - New Hampshire & Provincetown - Cape Cod Posts: 52,003
    Too funny...some things never change.....

pass the popcorn please
    "When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace" Jimi Hendrix

Senior Insider Joined: Apr 2004 Austin, TX Posts: 9,490

Quote Originally Posted by Mike R View Post
    Too funny...some things never change.....

pass the popcorn please

That's the best you can do?!!??! I was waiting for you to dump a bucket of gasoline on this thing and really get it going!

Quote Originally Posted by Bart -my real name- View Post
    That's the best you can do?!!??! I was waiting for you to dump a bucket of gasoline on this thing and really get it going!
    nah...I'm content to be a spectator here....I ve already said my piece anyway ....I have to deal with people who want to "fix" us all the time......as does my wife who sits on the Planning Board for the town and resort...this is familiar territory for us

SBH Insider Joined: Oct 2005 flamands Posts: 4,781
    Quote Originally Posted by shihadehs View Post
    We are not the ones beating the dead horse here.....
    boy, did you hit the nail on the head......too funny thanks steve and aimee, some cannot see the forest for the trees.