February 6, 2015, Dinner at Le Gaiac

phil62

Senior Insider
On a clear and starry night we enjoyed our ride to Toiny for another special dinner night. It did not disappoint. It was a pleasure to watch chef and his team work their magic from the dining room window's view of their culinary domain.

The first amusee was a cooling pineapple tomato gazpacho. This drink came plated with a pastry puff of smooth and creamy salmon and marscapone with a touch of lime filling.

Another treat which was eaten before the picture could be snapped, mea culpa, consisted of a Hershey kiss sized dollop of pureed carrots topped with a bar of toasted focaccio bread that was covered with Roquefort cheese spread and grapefruit puree-to die!
2-P1030191.jpg

One of the island dishes we always look forward to having at le Gaiac is their truffle spaghetti that is prepared in the dining room and gets the attention of most of the diners.. You can see that there were plenty of luscious fresh shaved truffles and extra grated Parmesan Reggiano on top.
1-2015-02-07.jpg

This was a combination of mahi mahi cerviche and mahi mahi carpaccio served with assorted pickled vegetables. A lovely and tasty starter.
3-P1030197.jpg

The roasted big prawns were accompanied by ravioli stuffed with soft sheep's cheese and fresh herbs and a foam topping
4-P1030198.jpg

The roasted duck breast was served with a sweet mango and port sauce with celery and vegetable cups
5-P1030199.jpg

The grilled sea scallops with lemongrass was served with a buckwheat crepe filled with crisp snow peas
6-P1030201.jpg

The delicious braised sea bass was served atop artichoke mousseline and zucchini christophine and diced potatoes
7-P1030202.jpg

We finished with crepe suzettes prepared with rum and served with passion fruit sorbet and marmalade
1-2015-02-071.jpg

The dining room staff could not have been more helpful and caring and added to the delight in a meal so very well prepared and so thoroughly enjoyed.

Very pretty! A&P, I've lost track of who's chef now at Le Gaïac??? Hasn't there been a bit of musical chairs with that post in recent years?

A fabulous new chef. I think I have his name, Jean Christophe Gilles. Someone correct me, I could be wrong here.

Looks like an amazing meal. Many quality ingredients and techniques if the chef can use them judiciously.

Ames, I wish our dinner there 2 weeks ago had reflected that "rising star" talent. We went with Noël & Joël to Tuesday Fish Market Night and it was a disappointment. Paul had to return his dinner to the kitchen, remarkable as it was the first time in the 40 years that we've been together that he has ever done so. And mine was just average, an overcooked lobster preparation that buried the flavor of the lobster in lemongrass. Maybe the chef was off that night? But I'm glad you had a lovely meal! And great dining with you for 3 out of our 7 nights on SBH!!! You guys rock and we miss you already!

Hope your part two on Anguilla was as good as part one.

On any night, a kitchen can miss the mark. We have never done Tuesday fish night. LeGaiac has always been a favorite, and we almost always go away planning on a return visit. I hope you get to try there again, with better results next time too.

Hugs

I had dinner there the other night.
I'm afraid I was not impressed.
Prefer good food over artistry.

Interesting how widely the reviews vary, we went in January and all 4 people were very pleased with their meals, it was a delightful experience...

We also had a fantastic dinner at Le Gaiac on Friday night. The service was first rate and each of our dishes was delicious. I had the Scallops and my wife had the Sea Bass. The restaurant was not crowded. I am not sure why it continues to get mixed reviews. I think it is definitely among the top 5 on the island and as good if not better than L'Esprit.