Villa Deposits - What is Everyone's Experience?

gpvgerry

SBH Member
Hello again all!!! We are returning to St Barts this year in April after being gone since November 2011 - far too long! We are so excited to be back and have been actively perusing the forums for everyone's tips and advice - thanks to you all for the wonderful wisdom!

I am curious about the deposits I see many villas are charging. This will be our first time renting a villa here as last time we stayed at Le Toiny and had a phenomenal time. After reading everyone's comments in regards to villa vs hotel, we knew we had to try a villa stay at least once. I see quite a few villas (if not all) do require a deposit, and I was wondering if anyone had encountered a negative experience with not getting their deposit back? We are looking at Villa La Case du Roy specifically which requires a $500 deposit. I have no issue with the deposit as I certainly do not intend to harm the property in any way, but am just concerned with the potential that we might not get it back (that $500 would be much better spent on a fantastic dinner at Le Gaiac!) and so am curious what everyone else's experience has been.

If I have erroneously posted in the wrong place, or if I have mistakenly overlooked a forum that already answers this question, please feel free to point me in the right direction!

Merci beaucoup :)
Gisele

We rented from Jocelyn several years ago and enjoyed her place. If I recall, we brought cash and gave it to her at check in. When she did the final inspection on our last day, she handed us the envelope back. it was the only time we have ever done that. She is a gracious hostess and we had a lovely time. We loved the fully air conditioned villa and she keeps it spotless! The hot tub at night with a bottle of champagne is a great way to end the day :)

Enjoy your return. There are others who have also rented from her, you may hear more later.

Charlotte

I know at least 4 people who rent Case Du Roy and they have nothing but praise for the owner. I wouldn't worry about this one.

Yes, Jocelyn is a lovely lady and we had the same experience as Charlotte. Except for the fact that we don't like to carry that much cash - there were no
problems. Case Du Roy is a lovely villa (you can see my review in the villa form).

We have never been asked for a deposit but have had to make a substantial 'down payment' 8 or so months in advance. We have never had a problem even when we once had to reneg.

Thank you all so much for your responses here - this is fantastic news and just what we were hoping to hear. Now we are even more excited!! Thank you all again!

Giselle,

I agree that everyone who is a hotel guest should try a villa vacation once, and kudos to you for making a big jump!

I'm sure that aware that you're choosing between two options which are 180 degrees apart. Le Toiny is a 5-star luxury hotel. Villa La Case du Roy is a bargain villa, one which more than one of my bargain-conscious friends love dearly. One night in a suite at Le Toiny costs about the same as a week at La Case du Roy, and the change in amenities is commensurate with the change in price.

Likewise, I encourage my villa rental friends to consider a hotel stay. I mixed in a week at the Eden Rock when I was a Junie. I loved it, but I prefer the privacy of a villa, and we're back to being committed villa renters.